Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

2013 Aussie Open: Your Guide to 1R, 2R (ATP and WTA)

<< < (3/3)

euroka1:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 01:14:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: euroka1 on January 14, 2013, 01:06:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 12:14:44 PM ---UPSHOT: When you go to a slam, go during the first week, and don't buy tickets in the big house where the tennis is god awful. (No wonder you fanboys are bored to tears!) Instead, follow me to the better action on the outer courts, and I'll send you home a happy camper. On just Day 1 you would have already seen four 5-setters!!  ;-()

--- End quote ---

Then, as now, I like to feel free to wander if I don't like what is on offer.

--- End quote ---

Of course! And that only supports what I've been saying for years.  ;-()

I would have left many of the matches (Bennetteau-Dimitrov, Malissee-Andujar, and more to come), watched others in their entirety (Almagro-Johnson for sure), and still joined others in progress. My point is as it ever was: you just can't do that in the second week (honestly, after the first Friday!).
--- End quote ---

I'll agree there. Chris Taylor and I did just that in the first week. In the second week, the only match I remember in any detail was the semi between Federer and Djokovic which really was white hot. The final, Djokovic - Murray was a real let down. I now wish I'd been at the AO for 2012 in that second week when the final really was something to see.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on January 14, 2013, 05:57:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 01:14:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: euroka1 on January 14, 2013, 01:06:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 12:14:44 PM ---UPSHOT: When you go to a slam, go during the first week, and don't buy tickets in the big house where the tennis is god awful. (No wonder you fanboys are bored to tears!) Instead, follow me to the better action on the outer courts, and I'll send you home a happy camper. On just Day 1 you would have already seen four 5-setters!!  ;-()

--- End quote ---

Then, as now, I like to feel free to wander if I don't like what is on offer.

--- End quote ---

Of course! And that only supports what I've been saying for years.  ;-()

I would have left many of the matches (Bennetteau-Dimitrov, Malissee-Andujar, and more to come), watched others in their entirety (Almagro-Johnson for sure), and still joined others in progress. My point is as it ever was: you just can't do that in the second week (honestly, after the first Friday!).
--- End quote ---

I'll agree there. Chris Taylor and I did just that in the first week. In the second week, the only match I really remember was the semi between Federer and Djokovic which really was white hot. The final, Djokovic - Murray was a real let down. I now wish I'd been at the AO for 2012 in that second week when the final really was something to see.

--- End quote ---

The other reason I like the outer courts is that I like to sit right down on top of the courts. I spend a lot of cash money during my trips, but not on my seats, because the tennis is better on the outer courts during week 1. All travel and other expenses taken into consideration, I only have one arm and one leg remaining when I get to a slam, and I'm not going to give them up for good seats in the big house. (At the USO, GA will still get you a really good seat during week 1. It's not like that in Paris, and I've never been to AO or W).

Do you care about your proximity to the court? Do you pay a premium for it?

Finally, by the late stages of the tournament, all matches are being televised. You really don't miss any of the action like you do in week 1.

euroka1:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 06:09:24 PM ---Do you care about your proximity to the court? Do you pay a premium for it?

--- End quote ---

Yes, and it is worth it for the great matches. But not for Haase-Murray tonight, for example, at least so far.

For Cincy and the local Washington Citi tourament I'm happy with the cheaper seats because I am likely to wander a lot more.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on January 14, 2013, 06:36:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 06:09:24 PM ---Do you care about your proximity to the court? Do you pay a premium for it?

--- End quote ---

Yes, and it is worth it for the great matches. But not for Haase-Murray tonight, for example, at least so far.

For Cincy and the local Washington Citi tourament I'm happy with the cheaper seats because I am likely to wander a lot more.

--- End quote ---

:H

Babblelot:
Whilst y'all were talking about how boring the early rounds are and placing bets that sacrificial lambs were going to take 8, 9, or 10 games off the Big 3 you missed a lot of good tennis. In all, I picked 11 matches that went the distance in 1R and 2R: 7 mens and 4 womens.  :king:

Best of 2R

ATP

Lopez l. Stepanek 2-6, 2-6, 4-6

Baker l. Querrey 6-7, 1-1 ret.

Dewarman l. Janowicz 7-6, 6-3, 1-6, 0-6, 5-7  :thumbs-up:

Chardy def. Granollers 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2

Seppi def. Istomin 7-6, 5-7, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2  :thumbs-up:

Notables that involve Babblelot's interests

Malisse l. Verdasco 1-6, 3-6, 2-6 :paper bag: my guy! Malisse got abused!! OUCH!

WTA

Madison Keys def. Tamira Paszek 6-2, 6-1  :paper bag:  I did not see that coming based on Madison's 1R performance.

Makarova def. Foretz Gacon 6-3, 6-3 will keep waiting for Fortez Gacon

Lepchenko l. Vesnina 4-6, 2-6

Putintseva l. Suarez Navarro 6-1, 6-7, 2-6  :thumbs-up:  Carla is 3G (grind, guts, and grace)

Robson def. Kvitova 2-6, 6-3, 11-9 :thumbs-up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version