Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

2013 Aussie Open: Your Guide to 1R, 2R (ATP and WTA)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Babblelot:
Okay, so after a few days of belly-aching :crying: from people who aren't going to tune in until next week, let's see how I did.  :))

First, the ATP

Harrison def. Giraldo 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-4  I watched this, it was pretty tight. I'll give it an "OK" but not 2 thumbs up.

Troicki l. Stepanek 5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-5 :thumbs-up:

Malisse def. Andujar 6-3, 6-1, 6-2  too easy by my guy! Malisse!

Goffin l. Verdasco 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6  :thumbs-up:

Ramos l. Baghdatis 7-6, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3, 3-6   :thumbs-up:

Bennetteau def. Dimitrov 6-4, 6-2, 6-4  this one gets the :paper bag: because I had indicated that it was THE Match of 1R

Hewitt l. Tipsarevic 6-7, 5-7, 3-6 - might have been fun had Hewitt not lost the 2nd set after grabbing a 2 break lead...

Monfils def. Dolgopolov 6-7, 7-6, 6-3, 6-3  probably worth the price of admission

Tsonga def. Llodra 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 Tsonga came to Melbourne 15 lbs lighter. Good to see the commitment

Haas l. Neimenen 6-7, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-8 :thumbs-up:  Great match! but a microcosm of Tommy's career as he, once again, wrestles defeat from the jaws of victory.

WTA

Vandeweghe l. Cirstea 4-6, 2-6

Medina Garrigues l. Bartoli 2-6, 4-6

Wozniacki def. Lisicki 2-6, 6-3, 6-3  :thumbs-up:

Suarez-Navarro def. Errani 6-4, 6-4 I watched this, it gets an "OK" because these two worked hard, but not 2 thumbs

Oudin l. Robson 2-6, 3-6  :paper bag:

Schiavone l. Kvitova 4-6, 6-2, 2-6  :thumbs-up:

Notables that involve Babblelot's interests

Almagro def. Johnson 7-5, 6-7, 6-2, 6-7, 6-2  :thumbs-up:  This was on here because of Johnson, my newcomer to watch  :)) not because of my guy! Almagro. Great match!  :king:

Still to come:
Paire def. Federer  6-2, 6-4, 6-1  Looked like Benoit was going to settle in in the 2nd set   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

UPSHOT: When you go to a slam, go during the first week, and don't buy tickets in the big house where the tennis is god awful. (No wonder you fanboys are bored to tears!) Instead, follow me to the better action on the outer courts, and I'll send you home a happy camper. On just Day 1 you would have already seen four 5-setters!!  ;-()

Babblelot:
I picked 7 matches that went the distance, 5 men and 2 women. :thumbs-up:

Best of 2R

ATP

Lopez v. Stepanek - retro match featuring 2 attacking players :thumbs-up:

Baker v. Querrey - shapes up to be a good All-American showdown

Dewarman v. Janowicz - both guys are intriguing but I'm not sold on either.

Chardy v. Granollers

Seppi v. Istomin

Notables that involve Babblelot's interests

Malisse v. Verdasco - Malisse looked sharp and Verdasco looked very streaky. Fernando should win if he can keep his head together like he did yesterday. Overall, really good showing from Verdasco yesterday.

WTA

Madison Keys v. Tamira Paszek - watch this one because the 17 y/o American Madison Keys is Brad Gilbert's can't miss phenom whom he predicts will win multiple slams and reach #1 by 2015. I watched her last night for the first time and it became apparent to me that Gilbert has never seen her play. What a mess!

Makarova v. Foretz Gacon

Lepchenko v. Vesnina Vesnina won her first title in Sydney, let's see if she can continue. Lepchenko is tough.

Putintseva v. Suarez Navarro

Robson v. Kvitova :thumbs-up:

euroka1:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 12:14:44 PM ---UPSHOT: When you go to a slam, go during the first week, and don't buy tickets in the big house where the tennis is god awful. (No wonder you fanboys are bored to tears!) Instead, follow me to the better action on the outer courts, and I'll send you home a happy camper. On just Day 1 you would have already seen four 5-setters!!  ;-()

--- End quote ---

:no-no-no:
Not always. Two night matches at the AO in 2011, 5 setters I believe, that went on into the small hours are still burned into memory.  First there was Hewitt - Nalbandian which was exceedingly close (the crowd went wild :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: )  and left both players fit for nothing else and there was the amazing Federer-Simon encounter when Simon, playing astonishingly well, nearly took Fed out in the early rounds (the crowd was stunned  :shocking: ). It was also chance to see a recuperating Del Potro, who is still coming back and maybe will do better this time.

Then, as now, I like to feel free to wander if I don't like what is on offer.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on January 14, 2013, 01:06:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on January 14, 2013, 12:14:44 PM ---UPSHOT: When you go to a slam, go during the first week, and don't buy tickets in the big house where the tennis is god awful. (No wonder you fanboys are bored to tears!) Instead, follow me to the better action on the outer courts, and I'll send you home a happy camper. On just Day 1 you would have already seen four 5-setters!!  ;-()

--- End quote ---

Then, as now, I like to feel free to wander if I don't like what is on offer.

--- End quote ---

Of course! And that only supports what I've been saying for years.  ;-()

I would have left many of the matches (Bennetteau-Dimitrov, Malissee-Andujar, and more to come), watched others in their entirety (Almagro-Johnson for sure), and still joined others in progress. My point is as it ever was: you just can't do that in the second week (honestly, after the first Friday!).

Alex:

--- Quote from: Freak3yman84 on January 13, 2013, 06:03:58 PM ---My "big" prediction is as follows:

Goffin def. Verdasco
Not really an upset, but what makes this a bold prediction is that I think Goffin will reach QFs.

Other than that, Tipsy to def. Hewitt and reach SFs.

Book both of those.

--- End quote ---
ouch, it didn't work out. wish you were right. I expected so much more from Goffin. grr, so disappointed  :\

your other prediction was spot on but Tipsy will find a way to f.uck it up soon or later  :gleam:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version