Tomic is on side – Pat Rafter
Australian Financial Review Jan 22 2013
Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter says he has spoken to Bernard Tomic and expects the young Australian to make himself available for team selection should Australia win next week’s first round tie against Chinese Taipei.
Mr Rafter banned Tomic from selection after the pair fell out following Tomic’s disappointing performance in a losing tie against Germany late last year, during which he exchanged harsh words with coach Tony Roche.
The controversy was further stoked earlier this month when Tomic said he would not talk to Rafter until September, but the Davis Cup captain confirmed he has had recent discussions with Tomic.
“I spoke to him recently and told him I expected he would make himself available for selection for April, but we have to win next week’s tie first,” Rafter said.
“He told me that was OK, so I will expect him to be there.”
As well as Tomic, who at 20 is the highest-ranked player in the world for his age, Rafter said there were several promising junior men emerging.
“It’s the best crop I have seen in a long time. Yes, we probably do have to be patient but I understand why the public is getting a bit antsy.
“I would like there to be more players performing now.”