Author Topic: THE BERNARD TOMIC GLEE CLUB  (Read 509 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
THE BERNARD TOMIC GLEE CLUB
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
Time to detach this subject from the running Tennis Discussions and make a separate topic.

John Newcombe was interviewed on Australian Television today and had this to say, which I thought was of general interest.

LEIGH SALES: I wanted to ask you about somebody who is enjoying some success in tennis, which is of course Bernard Tomic. Do you think that Tomic is now on top of his attitude and behaviour or does he still have a way to go?

JOHN NEWCOMBE: We've got to see how Bernie goes over the next 12 months. I think what he realised a cup of months ago that he is probably only about 55, 60 per cent fit and he's gone out and he's got himself maybe up to about 75 per cent fitness.

We saw the other night against Roger his potential and his ability to play the game at a very high level. But to be truthful, and I asked Bernie this and he agreed with me, that at the end of the second set against Roger he was really feeling it physically out there.

So he realises he's got a lot more work to do physically to get up to the level of a Djokovic or a Murray or a Federer and if he doesn't achieve that physical fitness there's no way that he's going to achieve his full potential. So we've got to wait and see over this year if he continues doing that hard physical training.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:15:10 PM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: THE BERNARD TOMIC GLEE CLUB
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
Tomic is on side – Pat Rafter

Australian Financial Review Jan 22 2013

John Stensholt

Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter says he has spoken to Bernard Tomic and expects the young Australian to make himself available for team selection should Australia win next week’s first round tie against Chinese Taipei.

Mr Rafter banned Tomic from selection after the pair fell out following Tomic’s disappointing performance in a losing tie against Germany late last year, during which he exchanged harsh words with coach Tony Roche.
The controversy was further stoked earlier this month when Tomic said he would not talk to Rafter until September, but the Davis Cup captain confirmed he has had recent discussions with Tomic.
“I spoke to him recently and told him I expected he would make himself available for selection for April, but we have to win next week’s tie first,” Rafter said.
“He told me that was OK, so I will expect him to be there.”

As well as Tomic, who at 20 is the highest-ranked player in the world for his age, Rafter said there were several promising junior men emerging.
“It’s the best crop I have seen in a long time. Yes, we probably do have to be patient but I understand why the public is getting a bit antsy.
“I would like there to be more players performing now.”

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: THE BERNARD TOMIC GLEE CLUB
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
hi, my name is Tomic and I'm a retard. that's all I can say. If you want to know why, just ask  :gleam: