Author Topic: Tennis has a steroid problem  (Read 8826 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Re: Tennis has a steroid problem
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »
The Spanish sports establishment has a vested interest in covering up the full extent of the doping scandal - many of their top athletes, including tennis stars are deeply implicated.. I do not believe that these stars sought Mr. Fuentes out for his treatment of hay fever.

The fact that the trial took 6 years to start means 1 thing only - a lot of 'Top' people were in opposition to the case going to court. I want the dopers named and shamed, like the USADA did with Armstrong! The more talk of blood transfusions and performance-enhancing drugs and sprays I hear, the quicker I lose faith in professional sport.

When golfers admit openly to using banned substances [Vijay Sngh], you know the world is doomed!! {Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21273128}
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:44:19 AM by propstoart »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »
Nadal, who is currently side-lined with a knee injury, was furious that his country's integrity had been questioned when asked about Noah's comments while in London at the end-of-season championships.

"To say that is a totally stupid thing because you know how many anti-doping controls we are having during all the season year by year," Nadal said.

Nadal is very stupid or straight out lying.

Everyone knows that players can take illegal drugs that go undetected, the doctors that subscribe them are way ahead of the testing.
Athletes know this too, including Nadal.
Hopefully he's just naive...... :whistle:

It looks like the poop is about to strike the propellor!

I'm with Propstoart.
Most pro sports have lost their integrity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:07:33 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Tennis has a steroid problem
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »
I know one thing...to get the muscular definition that Rafa has in that left arm...he had to have had weights or something....you don't get that just from playing tennis. Heck, Roger plays ONE handed and has been playing longer than Nadal and his right arm is still puny compared to Nadal's arm (and Nadal plays with 2 hands on the backhand. So for Nadal to say he does no gym???? Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
I know one thing...to get the muscular definition that Rafa has in that left arm...he had to have had weights or something....you don't get that just from playing tennis. Heck, Roger plays ONE handed and has been playing longer than Nadal and his right arm is still puny compared to Nadal's arm (and Nadal plays with 2 hands on the backhand. So for Nadal to say he does no gym???? Interesting.

First of all, Nadal hits with a different technique, he spins the ball like crazy, that's why his left arm is like that, secondly,

Everyone knows that players can take illegal drugs that go undetected, the doctors that subscribe them are way ahead of the testing.
As the testing improves many of these dopers get caught (former samples, stuff like that) So only retards use those drugs just because they go undetected at that time......

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

I am very interested by the 'something' that Dallas hints towards..  I, too, don't buy that line from Rafa that his amazing musculature was the result of tennis!!!

Like Dallas says, Roger has played the game for longer, using a 1-handed b/h and he is not even close to Rafa in his 'buff' prime.

Also, if Rafa got that big through tennis, how come he was way slimmer in 2005-2006, buffed up during 2006-2008 and slimmed down so dramatically after 2009? Things just do not add up..

I believe this is an [inadvertent] admission of guilt from Rafa.. I hope I am wrong - there are a lot of people who look up to Nadal, a modern legend,  a la Armstrong before the revelations! :Confused:

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
loooooooooool this section is amazing

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Nadal, who is currently side-lined with a knee injury, was furious that his country's integrity had been questioned when asked about Noah's comments while in London at the end-of-season championships.

"To say that is a totally stupid thing because you know how many anti-doping controls we are having during all the season year by year," Nadal said.

I'm with Propstoart.

MS, I have missed you on this forum! Where were you so long?

Yes, with every doping scandal, 'pro sports' is starting to resemble 'pro wrestling' - and 'pro wrestling' is not 'rassling' at all!!   :thumb-down:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
Re: Dallas, Sam Stosur makes the same claim - never touched a weight. But I guess it's what happens to arms when you put an insane amount of topspin on a ball.  :eyeroll:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
Re: Dallas, Sam Stosur makes the same claim - never touched a weight. But I guess it's what happens to arms when you put an insane amount of topspin on a ball.  :eyeroll:

She's another interesting one.... just saying.... :innocent:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

She's another interesting one.... just saying.... :innocent:

It's the topspin, Dallas. They keep saying that Roger puts the most RPM on a tennis ball second only to Rafa, but I bet they don't measure the women. Obviously, Roger's a distant 3rd because, with biceps like Sam's, she surely hits with far more topspin than Roger.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »

The wording I remember regarding this topic was he uses 'no weights'.  You must admit, his body shape has a natural predispostion for muscularity, the complete opposite of Lady Federer.  I think it's called mesomorph.

It would truly be a shame if he or any other player is outed.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »

I'm with Propstoart.

MS, I have missed you on this forum! Where were you so long?

Yes, with every doping scandal, 'pro sports' is starting to resemble 'pro wrestling' - and 'pro wrestling' is not 'rassling' at all!!   :thumb-down:
Hey Mister, I love pro wrestling! :mad1:
It's hilarious for the entertainment value.
Watching the fans is almost as much fun as watching the 'show'.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
That's the first I've heard of anyone saying Fed hits with more spin than any other player with the exception of Nadal. :Confused:
Certainly not on groundies??? :confused1:

Stosur not exactly a spinmeister in my book either, though she is certainly more masculine than Lady Federer (which ain't sayin' much).
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:27 AM »
That's the first I've heard of anyone saying Fed hits with more spin than any other player with the exception of Nadal. :Confused:

Stosur not exactly a spinmeister in my book either, though she is certainly more masculine than Lady Federer (which ain't sayin' much).

The part about Stosur's RPM was tongue-in-cheeck because a Rafa fanboy explained the musculature of his hero being the result of hitting with an insane amout of topspin. As for Roger, yes, they say he puts more RPM on his groundies second only to Rafa. I've never accepted that. My guess is they've never measured Tommy Robredo. I'd be shocked if Fed hits with more RPM than Robredo.

Good article here.
http://www.fawcette.net/2012/02/federer-hits-with-more-spin-than-nadal-.html

Rafa avg 3300 - top 4900 = Pete Sampras 2nd serve
Bruguerra avg 3300
Federer avg 2700 - top 4500
Sampras 1700

Again, I'd put an asteriks next to Federer, as I seriously doubt anyone has taken the time to measure Robredo's RPM.

This has a really good video explanation of Nadal's forehand
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/01/sports/tennis/Speed-and-Spin-Nadals-Lethal-Forehand.html

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 05:44:02 AM »
This justification of Rafa's physique - his technique on the f/h or top spin he imparts to the ball is the reason for his exceptional muscle mass - is just hilarious!! Babble, you know topspin is as old as tennis.

Leftie f/h with top spin is also common knowledge - ain't that why Senor Toni had his nephew play left-handed in the 1st place?

I have not seen another guy who looked so buff on a tennis court - especially one who professed to shunning the gym!

I would like Johnny McEnroe's opinion on this theory behind Rafa's physique!! :)) Poor John played doubles and singles with great success for a significant period of time, and has no 'guns' to prove it -how sad!!  :rofl_2:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
The article was an interesting read Babblelot, and I liked the writers challenge of misheld perceptions.  It doesn't surprise me that Federer makes efficient use of spin, but the statistics related to his use of it did surprise me. 
As for Robredo, you raise the perennial point.  There must be lots more players out there who can do a variety of things as well as or better than the top players / other champions, but their endeavours are unlikely to be scrutinised as much if at all, and they will not be brought into the equation in discussions such as the one raised in this article.

I would like Johnny McEnroe's opinion on this theory behind Rafa's physique!! :)) Poor John played doubles and singles with great success for a significant period of time, and has no 'guns' to prove it -how sad!!  :rofl_2:

Shouldn't that be "lady McEnroe!"     :rofl_2:
Seriously, though, JMac was an artist. Whilst we're at it, perhaps one of my all time favourites, Borg, would not be considered a "real" man either. But what use of the spin!!   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:54:30 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »
Then explain to me why his right arm is so skinny genius.....

BTW there's huge difference between Rafa's and Roger's techniques as far as imparting the spin is concerned, Roger uses his wrist more, etc.....

a Rafa fanboy explained the musculature of his hero being the result of hitting with an insane amout of topspin.
Thanks for the personal insults....

Anyway, I'm outta here, have fun circle :whistle: ing  :bye1:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »
The article was an interesting read Babblelot, and I liked the writers challenge of misheld perceptions.  It doesn't surprise me that Federer makes efficient use of spin, but the statistics related to his use of it did surprise me. 
As for Robredo, you raise the perennial point.  There must be lots more players out there who can do a variety of things as well as or better than the top players / other champions, but their endeavours are unlikely to be scrutinised as much if at all, and they will not be brought into the equation in discussions such as the one raised in this article.

Shouldn't that be "lady McEnroe!"     :rofl_2:
Seriously, though, JMac was an artist. Whilst we're at it, perhaps one of my all time favourites, Borg, would not be considered a "real" man either. But what use of the spin!! 

I wholeheartedly agree.
Both JMac & The Ice Man are 2 of me all time favs.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »
Then explain to me why his right arm is so skinny genius.....

BTW there's huge difference between Rafa's and Roger's techniques as far as imparting the spin is concerned, Roger uses his wrist more, etc.....

a Rafa fanboy explained the musculature of his hero being the result of hitting with an insane amout of topspin.
Thanks for the personal insults....

Anyway, I'm outta here, have fun circle :whistle: ing  :bye1:
Personal Insult? :confused1:

Fanboy is only an insult if you blindly spew opinions and don't back them up with facts.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »

The part about Stosur's RPM was tongue-in-cheeck because a Rafa fanboy explained the musculature of his hero being the result of hitting with an insane amout of topspin. As for Roger, yes, they say he puts more RPM on his groundies second only to Rafa. I've never accepted that. My guess is they've never measured Tommy Robredo. I'd be shocked if Fed hits with more RPM than Robredo.

Good article here.
http://www.fawcette.net/2012/02/federer-hits-with-more-spin-than-nadal-.html

Rafa avg 3300 - top 4900 = Pete Sampras 2nd serve
Bruguerra avg 3300
Federer avg 2700 - top 4500
Sampras 1700

Again, I'd put an asteriks next to Federer, as I seriously doubt anyone has taken the time to measure Robredo's RPM.

This has a really good video explanation of Nadal's forehand
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/01/sports/tennis/Speed-and-Spin-Nadals-Lethal-Forehand.html
Info supporting your opinion?
Mon Dieu!
What's this forum coming to? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!