Author Topic: Tennis has a steroid problem  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: Tennis has a steroid problem
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »
There is something surreal about this "trial" in Spain. I can't believe that anyone, least of all WADA would take it seriously.  Here we have a situation where it is known that Fuentes had clients from a variety of sports, received death threats etc, and the culprits will get away with it! Why have the trial? 

As a lawyer, I am embarrassed at what passes for legal scrutiny these days, and how such a blatant disregard for ethics & the application of the law can be promoted. This trial is a farce. It makes a mockery of justice. The culprits did not just tie the hands of Fuentes, but of the legal process, and all that follows from it. If WADA can't get the full facts, exactly what will they learn? 

The reality is that sport, including tennis, appears to be governed by vested interests that have implications reaching beyond the sport.  If a Mafia like system governs investigative powers, I say the sports governing bodies should have the balls to say so & to admit that they have no powers to counteract what has happened.   The question arises, do they have the power to deal with what might happen in the future. On current evidence, the answer is, no.  In which case, those sportsmen that have integrity might find themselves in the minority. Money talks.  And if integrity is irrelevant, why have it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:15:47 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:34 AM »
If sport were just that, at stake would only be pride. Alas, modern-day, professional sport is such a huge business that there are millions to be made from a win, or even a loss! Consequently, the risks athletes are willing to take are that much bigger. Athletes, team owners, corporate honchos are willing to sell anything, least of all the reputation of a sport, to cash in! Pro Sport has given athletes an avenue to gain substantial financial rewards through their talents, but it has come at a cost.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
That's a good read Sid.
Kudo's to Andy for taking the hard line.
There is no room for doping in any professional sport.
How sad that some feel the need to destroy their body in pursuit of glory & gold.

Thanks Monster,i found it a good read & i knew the board would to.Murray not the only one to call for more tests.
Roger Federer calls for more drug tests in tennis.

Roger Federer wants more drug testing in tennis and says he is being tested less than in previous years.

The 17-time Grand Slam winner was asked about the current regime after Andy Murray had called for more testing. 

"I feel I'm being less tested now than six, seven, eight years ago," said the world number one.

"I don't know the reasons we are being tested less and I agree with Andy, we don't do a lot of blood testing during the year. I'm OK having more of that."

more on this here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20199271

It seems both Roger & Andy feel there is not enough tests in tennis.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
Djokovic was even more vocal about doping in sport. google 'Djokovic about Lance Armstrong' and you'll find out.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
Nole had the flattest year in 2010 winning only 2 minor titles and then he went on to win everything in sight the following year making it possibly the best season in the Open era. This does open all sorts of arguments especially his physical attributes which had always been a very big question mark. Nadal’s success, on the other hand, outside clay has always been gradual. He was closing in on Federer on grass and was finally able to do it in 2008. Rest is history. 

I wonder why Andy is so keen on the drug tests lately. I am sure he feels something is wrong. I find his statement here very interesting, “"If one in 100 is doping then, in my eyes, that isn't a clean sport and we need to everything we can to ensure we have everyone that's competing at the highest level and below is clean.”

Hmmm....iz very complicated.

You are everything I am not.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
Nole had the flattest year in 2010 winning only 2 minor titles and then he went on to win everything in sight the following year making it possibly the best season in the Open era. This does open all sorts of arguments especially his physical attributes which had always been a very big question mark. Nadal’s success, on the other hand, outside clay has always been gradual. He was closing in on Federer on grass and was finally able to do it in 2008. Rest is history. 

I wonder why Andy is so keen on the drug tests lately. I am sure he feels something is wrong. I find his statement here very interesting, “"If one in 100 is doping then, in my eyes, that isn't a clean sport and we need to everything we can to ensure we have everyone that's competing at the highest level and below is clean.”

Nole was winning a lot in 20072008. then Todd Marting happened, tried to change his serve motion, Nole changed his racquet and everything went to hell. Nole finally found out that he is gluten intolerant etc. he changed his diet and did many other things.

As I said, and can give you some quotes from him, Nole is for more urine/blood tests. Of course, you are being to ignorant again, insinuating all kinda stupid rubbish. keep trolling.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
Test 'em all before, during, and after every slam.
Heck, just make it a weekly.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
I think once a month would be right for blood tests,the other way,when ever thay feel like it,how long does it take to put some in a tube.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

Every tennis forum has to have bitter No1e hatas.You're one of them on this forum.
Look at the muscle mass of Andy and muscle mass of No1e and than think long and hard before you write something stupid.
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.
NO1E, HE CAN DO IT 3 TIMES IN A ROW
NOVAK "WIZARD OF OZ" DJOKOVIC

Quote from: Prodigy.
nick is god

THE AGE OF DJOKER THE BARBARIAN HAS COME

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »

Every tennis forum has to have bitter No1e hatas.You're one of them on this forum.
Look at the muscle mass of Andy and muscle mass of No1e and than think long and hard before you write something stupid.

You've not been around here very long,Emma is not stupid i'm sure your find out before long. ;-()

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
Nole doesn't want to reveal much about his fitness regime.

He was asked about that after his SF against Ferrer.

Q.  Do you make use of anything like that pressurized egg chamber which you were known to use at the US Open?  Do you have one of them out here in Australia at all?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  No, I don't.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-24/201301241359027827720.html

He was also asked about his recovery routine after he played Berdych, but he's keeping it secret.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  It all depends, of course, from the player and their respected routines that they do after the matches.  We have certain kind of things that we do.  It has been working in the past.  It worked well this time also.

Q.  What is that routine?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I can't say that.  Sorry.  Have to keep it private.

Q.  Do you know what other people do?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  I know some.  But most of the top players are keeping it private, and I think that's the way it should be.

more at http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-22/201301221358858753846.html

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
Another thing I found very interesting about Lance Armstrong interview was when he was asked if he was ever afraid of getting caught, his answer was a firm No. Makes you wonder about all sorts of things.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

You've not been around here very long,Emma is not stupid i'm sure your find out before long. ;-()
But, sure is ultra aggressive and insulting.
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
Nole doesn't want to reveal much about his fitness regime.

He was asked about that after his SF against Ferrer.

Q.  Do you make use of anything like that pressurized egg chamber which you were known to use at the US Open?  Do you have one of them out here in Australia at all?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  No, I don't.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-24/201301241359027827720.html

He was also asked about his recovery routine after he played Berdych, but he's keeping it secret.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  It all depends, of course, from the player and their respected routines that they do after the matches.  We have certain kind of things that we do.  It has been working in the past.  It worked well this time also.

Q.  What is that routine?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I can't say that.  Sorry.  Have to keep it private.

Q.  Do you know what other people do?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  I know some.  But most of the top players are keeping it private, and I think that's the way it should be.

more at http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-22/201301221358858753846.html

Smart boy.
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

You've  been a saint so far I'll give you that.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

Emma i've a feeling this is a kid & should be looked upon as such.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »
You are right, Siddy.

Anyway, I think Andy is onto something. He feels strong enough to voice his opinion re: the drug tests. I am sure he feels some of them are cheating and getting away with it and it's very wrong and unfair to those who are clean. 

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »

Emma i've a feeling this is a kid & should be looked upon as such.

Andy and his fans are so alike, they often fail.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:43:34 PM by nick the greek »
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »
What about that injury timeout by Nole at 2-5 in the fifth set at the 2012 USO final just before Andy was getting ready to serve for the match? How about that 2011 Cincy final where Nole retired in the 2nd set, when Andy was leading the match with a first set win and a couple of breaks in the 2nd? Nole then went on to win the USO in a week time. Begs the question, doesn't it?

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
What about that injury timeout by Nole at 2-5 in the fifth set at the 2012 USO final just before Andy was getting ready to serve for the match? How about that 2011 Cincy final where Nole retired in the 2nd set, when Andy was leading the match with a first set win and a couple of breaks in the 2nd? Nole then went on to win the USO in a week time. Begs the question, doesn't it?

Andy:This how I look after good old traditional British breakfast.

TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god