Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Murray Making Major Strides For No. 1

(1/4) > >>

sid:
World No. 3 Andy Murray can supercharge his chances of becoming the first British man to hold the No. 1 Emirates ATP Ranking should he win Sunday’s Australian Open final against Novak Djokovic.

As the reigning US Open and Olympic champion, and the 2012 Wimbledon finalist, Murray will have a mountain of points counting towards his ranking between now and the start of the grass court season if he can win a second consecutive Grand Slam title. During the same period, Djokovic and Federer will see more than 4000 points drop from their rankings, while Murray will lose just 1,620

Should Murray dethrone two-time reigning Djokovic in Sunday’s final, he will trail the Serb by 2,840 points and Federer by 985 points. (For reference, a player earns 2000 points for winning a Grand Slam title and 1000 points for winning an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title. Points count towards a player’s ranking for 52 weeks before ‘dropping’.)

The rivalry between Murray and Djokovic, born just a week apart, blossomed in 2012. They squared off seven times, with Djokovic tipping the scale with four wins. But Murray defeated Djokovic in the semi-finals of the London 2012 Olympics and went on to edge the Serb in five sets to claim his first major title at the US Open. As he takes the court in a Grand Slam final for the first time as a major champion, the Scot will be drawing on his triumph over Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.

“The task isn't any easier. I'm obviously playing Novak again on this court,” said Murray. “This has been his best court for sure. So I'm aware of how tough it will be to win the match and what have you.

“But hopefully there are moments in the US Open final where I could have closed out sets a bit quicker. I think the tie-break was a good example of how nerves can work in those sort of matches. It was not the prettiest tennis, so hopefully I'll play a little bit better

Alex:
Sid, how about no. Murray will become #1 when he learns how to play on clay.

just messing with you bud  :)~

sid:

--- Quote from: Alex on January 25, 2013, 05:03:21 PM ---Sid, how about no. Murray will become #1 when he learns how to play on clay.

just messing with you bud  :)~

--- End quote ---

Murray's after the no1 spot,i've a feeling it's going back & forth with Nole & Murray.I think Murray will take the Australian Open Final.Then Nole's going to take RG this time,i've a feeling Nadal won't be back to his best on Clay this year.I've also been messing with you on threads  :)) Murray & Nole are the true 1 & 2 ATM.@ the Australian Open i think Murray's playing the best this year,that 5 set match with Roger won't make a difference.I've a very big feeling this will be Murray's year,he want's it so bad & he is super fit.I reckon you could chuck a kitchen sink @ him & he would send it back over the net with interest :rofl_2:

Orange Wombat:
Annie will never get to the top while Djokovic is still playing. He is simply inferior in every way.

sid:

--- Quote from: Orange Wombat on January 25, 2013, 05:36:48 PM ---Annie will never get to the top while Djokovic is still playing. He is simply inferior in every way.

--- End quote ---

Who's Annie :confused1:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version