Author Topic: Can't seem to hit my serve flat on.  (Read 910 times)

phenom34

Can't seem to hit my serve flat on.
« on: July 06, 2005, 11:35:04 PM »
I know how to do all the basic types of serves.  Lately ive been hitting everything slice/kicker to keep my consistency up.   I used to have an extremely flat on serve that scored me a lot of aces but for some reason I CANNOT hit it flat if my life depended on it.   Half of the time, Ill feel off balance or something and just hit it with a lot of spin and it will go in .  The other half is very ugly and just goes a random direction.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of all the spin and just hit it flat again?  I know i can do it, but i can't find it.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:43:03 AM »
Is your toss out in front of you?  If it starts to get over your head like a toss for a kick serve it will be tough to flatten it out.  

Your best bet is to grab a bucket of balls and just go to town and work on it.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MontyDub

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 02:20:01 PM »
If you're just looking for a flatter serve...first see how you are holding the racquet. Players who serve with eastern BH grips will always have trouble hitting it flat. Try moving more towards a continental. Also, if you open your palm earlier in the motion you will create more potential for acceleration...Good Luck!
It reminds me of the immortal words of Socrates, who once said, "I drank what?"....Chris Knight

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 05:45:38 PM »
About the balance issue, you should stand with one foot in front of the other and then bring your feet together after you toss the ball. If that's not the problem then it's probably just your toss; maybe you're tossing the ball wrong and you have to lean to hit it.
Be the change that you seek.