Author Topic: Federer said something and gestured to Murray - What that about???  (Read 740 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Federer Yells Toward Murray - Australian Open Semifinal

I  watched the ESPN repeat of the semis between Murray and Federer and during the 4th set; Federer put his first finger to his one eye and looked towards Murray.  But before this; he said something to Murray which the commentator stated later on that it was concerning Murray given up during a rally?   I was puzzle why Federer would be so concern with Murray's competitiveness since Murray was handling Federer pretty well.

Can someone explain what lead up to this event?  I just do not get it!  What did I miss out on?

From Andy Murray's interview:

Q.  How surprised were you by what he shouted when you were at the net at 6 5 in the fourth?  You had a funny look on your face at that point.
ANDY MURRAY:  I mean, I wasn't that surprised.  I mean, stuff like that happens daily in tennis matches.  You know, in sport, the stuff that some people say on football pitches and in basketball and all sorts of sports.  I mean, it was very, very mild in comparison to what happens in other sports.  It's just one of those things.

Q.  Did it rattle you at all?
ANDY MURRAY:  No.  I think it didn't rattle me.  I think he raised his game, you know, and that's what happens.  Sometimes guys need to get, you know, emotion into the match.
He definitely raised his level and played    in that game I think he hit two balls onto the line and was extremely aggressive after that.

Q.  Can you repeat what he said?
ANDY MURRAY:  It's not relevant what he said.  You know, it doesn't really matter.  It's something that happens, like I say, all the time on tennis courts, in sport, all the time.
Especially when it's a one on one sort of individual combat.  It's not relevant.  There's no hard feelings.

Q.  Was it a word that we might struggle to get in our newspapers?
ANDY MURRAY:  It's not relevant what was said, you know.  I'm sure Roger won't talk about it and I have no interest in discussing it either, because, like I say, it happens all the time.
People will want to make a big deal of it and it isn't really a big deal.

Found out that the actual exchange was edited down from about 15 seconds to 5 seconds.  I guess they wanted to protect pro tennis and Federer's image.  I find that shocking.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:27:20 AM by HarryWild »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Federer said something and gestured to Murray - What that about???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:50:27 AM »
He was gesturing at was the sky. What he said was, "What? Double rainbow, all the way across the sky. Wow, Wow! Oh my god! Double rainbow!"

DOUBLE RAINBOW SONG!! (now on iTunes)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:10:52 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
Link is unavailable  :mad1:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
Australian Open 2013: Andy Murray plays down spat with Roger Federer .Roger Federer may be known across the world as the epitome of sportsmanship, but he showed during the semi-final against Andy Murray that anyone can lose their cool.   After being passed by a ferocious forehand at a critical stage of the fourth set, Federer could clearly be seen swearing at Murray from the net. Depending on which lip-reader you consulted, he either said “F------ stop” or “You f------ stopped”.   The second version perhaps makes a little more sense. In the previous few games, Murray had twice stopped in the middle of points, expecting a call of “out” from a linesperson, and had then been forced to continue when no call came. It is possible that Federer thought he was trying to influence the officials.   Murray responded to the outburst with a sneery sort of grin. He said afterwards that he had not been rattled, even though he went on to suffer a service break in the next few points. But he did admit: “I think Roger raised his game. Sometimes guys need to get emotion into the match.”   Asked what had been said, Murray replied: “It’s not relevant. There are no hard feelings. I wasn’t that surprised. I mean, stuff like that happens daily in tennis matches. In sport, the stuff that some people say on football pitches and in basketball and all sorts of sports – it was very mild in comparison to what happens in other sports. It’s just one of those things.”   Federer also played down the incident. “I mean, it wasn’t a big deal anyway. We just looked at each other one time. That’s OK, I think, in a 3½-hour match. We were just checking each other out for bit. That wasn’t a big deal for me. I hope not for him.”   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:35:13 AM by sid »

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »
The way Murray was hammering Roger on the court, it came as no surprise that Roger was antsy at the end of that 4th set.. Also, Roger was playing to stay in the match and consequently, playing his best tennis of the whole evening..Can't blame Roger for being ticked off.  :\

Hats off to Andy though for taking it easy! He is proving he is fast in the 'cabeza', as well as on the court!! ;-()

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »
Fed saw Murray looking at Mirka too much.   :Boxing:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:10 PM »
whoa that's a full rainbow all the way
double rainbow oh my god double rainbow
it's a double rainbow all the way yeah
it's a double rainbow all the way yeah
oh my god

what does this mean?
it's so bright, so vivid
double rainbow,
double rainbow
it's so intense

what does this mean?
it's starting to
look like a triple rainbow
that's a whole rainbow now
yeah

double rainbow all the way
across the sky yeah yeah
it's so intense

across the sky wow wow
oh my god
look at that rainbow

double complete rainbow
oh my god
too much

oh my god
it's full on
and i can't even capture it
on my camera

across the sky yeah yeah
it's so intense

across the sky wow wow
oh my god
look at that rainbow

whoa whoa
that is the bad-est f@#king rainbow
I've ever seen
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
The way Murray was hammering Roger on the court, it came as no surprise that Roger was antsy at the end of that 4th set.. Also, Roger was playing to stay in the match and consequently, playing his best tennis of the whole evening..Can't blame Roger for being ticked off.  :\

Hats off to Andy though for taking it easy! He is proving he is fast in the 'cabeza', as well as on the court!! ;-()

Well, that’s no reason for Federer getting all ticked off when Andy was serving for the match. It did distract him even though he wouldn't admit it. He ended up losing that game and the set. Andy lost to him 3 times before in GS and all in finals but never once he showed any kind of disrespect. Even after the win, his celebrations were to the minimum. Maybe some other players can learn from him. Not so classy by Federer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:12:32 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
Hi Emma nice to see you,i hope you had a great xmas & new year :)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »
Hi Emma nice to see you,i hope you had a great xmas & new year :)

Yes, I did Siddy my dearest friend.  :)

I hope you did too!
You are everything I am not.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »
New link - ESPN broadcast!