Author Topic: Want proof? 45 pages > 44 pages (Want More Proof? see FB)  (Read 4183 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Want proof? 45 pages > 44 pages
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
I think this has almost entirely to do with the number of fans and definitely so on this board. We have lost a lot of posters.

Personally, I have just been really busy and out of touch. But diving a little deeper, I wish I could say as I once said, that I enjoy watching tennis no matter what but you know what, I realized that's not true. I enjoy certain tennis players playing tennis. Federer is up there. Back in the day I had a few others I loved watching and they used to do well, Blake, Nalbandian, Baghdatis et. al. Now I still have my pick of players to watch and matches to watch. I got up at 3:30am to watch Federer vs. Tsonga, I caught a lot of Tsonga vs. Gasquet, I watched rerun of Djokovic vs Wawrinka, I watched Djokovic vs. Berdych, but I did not watch Federer vs. Murray.

I woke up at 3:30am to catch the final, then just said forget it and went to sleep. I never thought I'd ever do that, for the final of a grandslam, and I even happen to like Djokovic and Murray. But it just doesn't excite me enough. All the more true if Nadal was playing Djokovic. There needs to be more of a rivalry, a less bland of a storyline or some exciting tennis players. I am sure I would have watched it if it was Federer vs. anyone even if it was a sure victory for Federer because I like watching him play.

So there. I still enjoy watching tennis but now that I don't have as much time as I used to, there really needs to be something that inspires me to watch, and when you are talking about inspiration, it can be the occasion or the players and I prefer certain players. And I think a lot of folks might just be suffering a let down from the Fed/Nadal mania.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
Wise beyond your years are you, Grasshopper.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:30 AM »
I think this has almost entirely to do with the number of fans and definitely so on this board. We have lost a lot of posters.

So there. I still enjoy watching tennis but now that I don't have as much time as I used to, there really needs to be something that inspires me to watch, and when you are talking about inspiration, it can be the occasion or the players and I prefer certain players. And I think a lot of folks might just be suffering a let down from the Fed/Nadal mania.

The Fed/Nadal fans are afflicted so the number of posters on the board is down dramatically.

And Nole/Murray don't inspire others to come out.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 03:04:51 AM »

The Fed/Nadal fans are afflicted so the number of posters on the board is down dramatically.

agree with you especially regarding the Fed/Nadal mania.

Nole/Murray thing (if it happens btw, Andy needs to achieve more), is going to take some time to inspire people but I have to admit I don't enjoy their matches that much. Fed/Nadal hasn't happen over night btw. As much as I love Nole and Andy I still find Nole/Fed matches more interesting but that will not last forever because Nole is his prime and Fed is getting older.

Now that Rafa has been out for so long most of his fans are gone too except for Shank and Herc. Where is Conchita? She used to be so active.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:11:22 AM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:38 AM »
Conchita is busy with real life.

I think it's interesting that the board is now made up of mostly fanboyz and not tennis players. 
I like talking tennis. 
The pro game is only a small part of the sport.
Most folks here seem to be interested in only that part of the game.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »

I think it's interesting that the board is now made up of mostly fanboyz and not tennis players. 
I like talking tennis. 
are you telling me I don't have a real life  :whistle:? well, I don't. can you help me  :)~?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

I watched 3 sets of the match but for the first time ever I just stopped watching, didn't care much who won.

When Nadal was whipping up on the greatest, now that was interesting.  :cool:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
...................I woke up at 3:30am to catch the final, then just said forget it and went to sleep........

:rofl_2:       The best match synopsis I've read to date.

Carpe Diem

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Want proof? 45 pages > 44 pages (Want More Proof? see FB)
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
Want more proof? Let's turn to Facebook.

Federer
  • There are 30 Facebook accounts devoted solely to Roger Federer
  • 12.8 million people follow these accounts
  • 220,000 people are talking about Federer

Nadal
  • There are 27 Facebook accounts devoted solely to Rafael Nadal
  • 11.5 million people follow these accounts
  • 196,000 people are talking about Nadal

Nole
  • There are 29 Facebook accounts devoted solely to Novak Djokovic
  • 2.9 million people follow these accounts
  • 370,000 people are talking about Djokovic

Murray
  • There are 14 Facebook accounts devoted solely to Andy Murray
  • 1.0 million people follow these accounts
  • 207,000 people are talking about Murray

People are losing interest.

Again, I learned all I need to know by watching the T4U thread page counts drop from 2009 to 2013.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:50:59 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
Babs, I don't have a FB account btw. I'm just not into all of that social networking. My friends/family know my phone number, and I told them to phone me if they feel like talking or want to know how I'm doing. it's just my thing  :).

I still think we are a 'small' board, but we do have many smart members who do understand and appreciate tennis. above all, everyone is respectful. sure we joke and poke at one another but it's all good.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
I understand all that but I'm saying we are a microcosm of tennis fandom at large.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:31 AM »

I like talking tennis. 

are you telling me I don't have a real life  :whistle:? well, I don't. can you help me  :)~?
I can't even help myself and you want me to take on a Monstah Makeover of you?  I think not, My Fren! :))

We'll leave that your dominatrix Darling Emma.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:04 AM »
I understand all that but I'm saying we are a microcosm of tennis fandom at large.
Indeed.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »

I like talking tennis. 

I can't even help myself and you want me to take on a Monstah Makeover of you?  I think not, My Fren! :))

We'll leave that your dominatrix Darling Emma.

oh mine, me likey, likey a lot. alex is drooling  :lust: :uh:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »
It turns out, the Americans only love to watch their own players. In the 80s, what we see is this:

U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED:
1. 1980, John McEnroe d. Bjorn Borg, 11.0
2. 1982, Jimmy Connors d. Ivan Lendl, 9.9
3. 1983, Jimmy Connors d. Ivan Lendl, 9.5

Then in the 90s, we see the following:

U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED SINCE 1995:
1. 1999, Andre Agassi d. Todd Martin, 6.3
2. 2002, Pete Sampras d. Andre Agassi, 6.2
3. 1996, Pete Sampras d. Michael Chang, 6.1

You think Federer and Nadal are way too sexy therefore, they bring the best tennis not to mention the best audience, right? Wrong.

This is what we see in the 00s. All these finals involved one of the sexy players - Roger Federer. Pretty amusing, isnít it?

U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, LOWEST RATED:
1. 2008, Roger Federer d. Andy Murray, 1.7
2. 2009, Juan Martin del Potro d. Roger Federer, 2.3
3. 2004, Roger Federer d. Lleyton Hewitt, 2.5

But wait, I am not done it. Letís branch out and see what Wimbledon has to offer so far:

WIMBLEDON MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED (SINCE 1988)
1. 1992, Andre Agassi d. Goran Ivanisevic, 5.6
2. 1989, Boris Becker d. Stefan Edberg, 5.2
3. 1999, Pete Sampras d. Andre Agassi, 5.0

Oh look, the ď2 sexiest players of all timeĒ, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer arenít listed there at all; no mention of their 2008 final in particular. HmmÖinteresting. What else do we see?

WIMBLEDON MENíS FINALS, LOWEST RATED (SINCE 1988):
1. 2010, Rafael Nadal d. Tomas Berdych, 1.6
2. 2005, Roger Federer d. Andy Roddick, 2.1
3. 2003, Roger Federer d. Mark Philippoussis, 2.2

^^^ Shock horror. Both Nadal and Federer are listed as the lowest rating drawers. Hmm.. I donít know what to say. 

http://observer.com/2010/09/tennis-television-ratings-tumble/

Oh and btw, the Australian Open (Menís finals) ratings have gone up by 4% this year compared to last year.

So you b**ches need to calm yourselves down and better deal with the fact that, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are not only a thing in the past, but they were never the true rating earners. Yes, they have lots of fans but that doesnít mean they draw the best TV ratings or that they are the most watchable ones. So calm the f**k down and get real.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
So you b**ches need to calm yourselves down and better deal with the fact that, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are not only a thing in the past, but they were never the true rating earners. Yes, they have lots of fans but that doesnít mean they draw the best TV ratings or that they are the most watchable ones. So calm the f**k down and get real.

:rofl_2:   :hysterical:   :hysterical:

I agree with Emma, settle your puny little arses down.  :cool:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Emma knows nothing about what comes out of her mouth. Like others, she adds no context to her ratings. For instance, she wouldn't understand why 5 Monday USO finals would adversely affect ratings.

Anyway, this is a thread to be bookmarked. I don't see anyone anywhere saying Djokovic - Murray don't inspire fans or that 5-6 hour matches are detrimental to the sport. With respect to the latter point, however, at least the players have said they don't want to play these marathon-matches nor does the AO (and/or networks), which chose to speed up the surface.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
Emma knows nothing about what comes out of her mouth. Like others, she adds no context to her ratings. For instance, she wouldn't understand why 5 Monday USO finals would adversely affect ratings.

Anyway, this is a thread to be bookmarked. I don't see anyone anywhere saying Djokovic - Murray don't inspire fans or that 5-6 hour matches are detrimental to the sport. With respect to the latter point, however, at least the players have said they don't want to play these marathon-matches nor does the AO (and/or networks), which chose to speed up the surface.

And you haven't got a clue. Granted, the last 5 years USO finals were played on Monday but what about before, eh? Federer was there from 2003 to 2007. None of his finals in that time frame topped the ratings. And even if you move those finals from 2008 to Sunday finals, the rating would still be low and thatís simply because you Americans are f**ked in the head, because you donít want to watch anyone else. Even 10 Federers wonít be able to save the boat you are on it right now.  The case is weak and it holds no water but just some bitterness by some who canít be bothered to watch anyone but Federer or Nadal.

And what about Wimbledon, eh? All finals were held on Sundays so far and yet no Federer vs Nadal topped the rating. Not even that 2008 Wimbledon. What happened there, eh?

Hereís another link for you Ė this is from last yearís Australian Open. Read and digest it. And this yearís final has even topped that previous rating. Understand that.  The world, tennis world, in particular does not revolve around USO only.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-30/aus-open-final-wins-ratings-battle/3800050

We donít need these Federer or Nadal fans who canít be bothered about other tennis players.  These fans need to go away once and for all because they are a disgrace.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

Personally, I have just been really busy and out of touch. But diving a little deeper, I wish I could say as I once said, that I enjoy watching tennis no matter what but you know what, I realized that's not true. I enjoy certain tennis players playing tennis. Federer is up there. Back in the day I had a few others I loved watching and they used to do well, Blake, Nalbandian, Baghdatis et. al. Now I still have my pick of players to watch and matches to watch. I got up at 3:30am to watch Federer vs. Tsonga, I caught a lot of Tsonga vs. Gasquet, I watched rerun of Djokovic vs Wawrinka, I watched Djokovic vs. Berdych, but I did not watch Federer vs. Murray.

I woke up at 3:30am to catch the final, then just said forget it and went to sleep. I never thought I'd ever do that, for the final of a grandslam, and I even happen to like Djokovic and Murray. But it just doesn't excite me enough. All the more true if Nadal was playing Djokovic. There needs to be more of a rivalry, a less bland of a storyline or some exciting tennis players. I am sure I would have watched it if it was Federer vs. anyone even if it was a sure victory for Federer because I like watching him play.

:rofl_2:

I have some souvenir for you. It will inspire the tard in you and the likes of you.  :)~

Sexy Andy...:drool:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Interesting title to the article you cite, Emma.

Tennis Television Ratings Tumble

Someone order up a Roger-Rafa and Sharapova-Venus final. CBS needs it!

Thanks! What other sources can you post that I can use?

This article predates Djokovic-Murray...oh by the way.  :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:23:49 PM by Babblelot »