It turns out, the Americans only love to watch their own players. In the 80s, what we see is this: U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED:
1. 1980, John McEnroe d. Bjorn Borg, 11.0
2. 1982, Jimmy Connors d. Ivan Lendl, 9.9
3. 1983, Jimmy Connors d. Ivan Lendl, 9.5
Then in the 90s, we see the following:U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED SINCE 1995:
1. 1999, Andre Agassi d. Todd Martin, 6.3
2. 2002, Pete Sampras d. Andre Agassi, 6.2
3. 1996, Pete Sampras d. Michael Chang, 6.1
You think Federer and Nadal are way too sexy therefore, they bring the best tennis not to mention the best audience, right? Wrong.
This is what we see in the 00s. All these finals involved one of the sexy players - Roger Federer. Pretty amusing, isnít it? U.S. OPEN MENíS FINALS, LOWEST RATED:
1. 2008, Roger Federer d. Andy Murray, 1.7
2. 2009, Juan Martin del Potro d. Roger Federer, 2.3
3. 2004, Roger Federer d. Lleyton Hewitt, 2.5
But wait, I am not done it. Letís branch out and see what Wimbledon has to offer so far:WIMBLEDON MENíS FINALS, HIGHEST RATED (SINCE 1988)
1. 1992, Andre Agassi d. Goran Ivanisevic, 5.6
2. 1989, Boris Becker d. Stefan Edberg, 5.2
3. 1999, Pete Sampras d. Andre Agassi, 5.0
Oh look, the ď2 sexiest players of all timeĒ, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer arenít listed there at all; no mention of their 2008 final in particular. HmmÖinteresting. What else do we see?WIMBLEDON MENíS FINALS, LOWEST RATED (SINCE 1988):
1. 2010, Rafael Nadal d. Tomas Berdych, 1.6
2. 2005, Roger Federer d. Andy Roddick, 2.1
3. 2003, Roger Federer d. Mark Philippoussis, 2.2
^^^ Shock horror. Both Nadal and Federer are listed as the lowest rating drawers. Hmm.. I donít know what to say. http://observer.com/2010/09/tennis-television-ratings-tumble/
Oh and btw, the Australian Open (Menís finals) ratings have gone up by 4% this year compared to last year.
So you b**ches need to calm yourselves down and better deal with the fact that, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are not only a thing in the past, but they were never the true rating earners. Yes, they have lots of fans but that doesnít mean they draw the best TV ratings or that they are the most watchable ones. So calm the f**k down and get real.