Author Topic: DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND  (Read 549 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
I take only a mild interest in Davis Cup, but others may be more interested.  The first round starts soon, and some interesting matches could arise.   

DAVIS CUP  WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND – 1-3 February 2013

Link to the official site :   http://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx

TEAMS:

Canada v Spain in Vancouver, Canada

Canada                                                                                 Spain
Milos Raonic                                                                      Nicolas Almagro
Vasek Pospisil                                                                   Marcel Granollers         
Frank Dancevic                                                                  Marc Lopez     
Daniel Nestor                                                                    Albert Ramos
Martin Laurendeau (captain)                                                Alex Corretja (captain)

Italy  v Croatia in Turin,Italy

Italy                                                                                            Croatia 
Andreas Seppi                                                                          Marin Cilic                     
Fabio Fognini                                                                            Ivan Dodig   
Paolo Lorenzi                                                                           Antonio Veic   
Simone Bolelli                                                                          Mate Pavic   
Corrado Barazzutti (captain)                                                       Zeljko Krajan (captain)

Belgium v Serbia  in Charleroi, Belgium

Belgium                                                                  Serbia
David Goffin                                                          Novak Djokovic       
Steve Darcis                                                          Janko Tipsarevic
Ruben Bemelmans                                                  Viktor Troicki
Olivier Rochus                                                       Nenad Zimonjic               
Johan van Herck (captain)                                       Bogdan Obradovic (captain)   

USA v Brazil in Jacksonville, USA

USA                                                                          Brazil            
John Isner                                                                   Thomaz Bellucci                               
Sam Querrey                                                                Thiago Alves
Mike Bryan                                                                   Marcelo Melo
Bob Bryan                                                                    Bruno Soares
Jim Courier (captain)                                                     Joao Luis Zwetsch (captain)       

France v Israel in Rouen, France

France                                                                     Israel
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga                                                        Dudi Sela 
Richard Gasquet                                                           Amir Weintraub
Julien Benneteau                                                          Jonathan Erlich       
Michael Llodra                                                              Andy Ram     
Arnaud Clement (captain)                                              Eyal Ram (captain)     

Argentina v Germany in Buenes Aires, Argentina

Argentina                                                                            Germany     
Juan Monaco                                                                            Philipp Kohlschreiber
Horacio Zeballos                                                                      Florian Mayer
Carlos Berlocq                                                                         Tobias Kamke
David Nalbandian                                                                    Christopher Kas
Martin Jaite (captain)                                                              Carsten Arriens (captain)

Kazakhstan v Austria in Astana, Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan                                                                        Austria 
Mikhail Kukushkin                                                               Jurgen Melzer
Andrey Golubev                                                                  Andreas Haider-Maurer
Evgeny Korolev                                                                   Alexander Peya         
Yuri Schukin                                                                       Julian Knowle       
Dias Doskarayev (captain)                                                   Clemens Trimmel (captain)

Switzerland v Czech Republic in Geneva, Switzerland

Switzerland                                                                   Czech Republic
Stanislas Wawrinka                                                            Tomas Berdych
Marco Chiudinelli                                                                Radek Stepanek
Michael Lammer                                                                 Lukas Rosol
Henri Laaksonen                                                                Jiri Vesely
Severin Luthi (captain)                                                       Jaroslav Navratil (captain)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:55:20 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
Re: DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »
I believe I read Almagro has been ruled out of the Spanish team.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:40 AM »
 :::O

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
Disappointment for tried and tested trio

It has been a disappointing week for three of Davis Cup's most fervent supporters in recent times.
Nicolas Almagro, Janko Tipsarevic and Radek Stepanek have all been forced to pull out of this weekend's first round ties due to injury.

Almagro was unable to travel to Vancouver because of an injury to his left leg and although he has yet to be officially replaced, the RFET has said that Guillermo Garcia Lopez will take his place in the side to play Canada.

Tipsarevic has taken to Facebook to announce his dismay at not being able to play Davis Cup for the first time in 14 years after jarring his heel at the Australian Open.
The Serbian wrote: "Unfortunatley I have to inform everyone that I will not be able to compete in the upcoming Davis Cup match cause of the foot injury that happened at the Australian Open.
"This is one of the hardest decisions that I had to make in my career, but trust me it was not my first choice. In the last 14 [years], there has not been a single year where I was not a part of the Serbian National Team.
"Feeling extremely sad and disappointed right now cause I am emotionally attached to this competition, and winning the Davis Cup trophy is one of the highlights of my career.
We have a fantastic team, so let's all support them in a potential win against Belgium."
The Serbian team have yet to officially announce who will be replacing Tipsarevic in the team.

Stepanek, who famously won the decisive fifth rubber against Almagro in the 100th Davis Cup Final in Prague last year, is not able to help the defending champions in their bid to win a sixth consecutive tie after a back injury ruled him out of the tie against Switzerland.
The Czechs have drafted in Ivo Minar in Stepanek's place, which leaves the door open for Switzerland to cause an upset in Geneva.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/articles/disappointment-for-tried-and-tested-trio.aspx
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:41:18 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
I don't know what to say. Belgians managed to create some indoor clay court ... Djokovic says 'it's not playable'. I don't think he should be playing DC at all. Fed is smart enough not to waste his time.

Canada vs. Spain, with or without Almagro and Nadal ... I don't think we have a chance.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
The Swiss still only have ONE person on there team. I don't think they are going to do much until they can find a good doubles team that doesn't include their single's players. Otherwise it's the same thing - they are working their single players to death all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
congrats with the win Alex,

especially Dancevic put on a masterclass today. wow I'm impressed

this will surely close the deal for you Canadians.
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
congrats with the win Alex,

especially Dancevic put on a masterclass today. wow I'm impressed

this will surely close the deal for you Canadians.
Thank you so much. OMG, I just can't believe. Dancevic played so well. I'm shocked. Raonic did a great job too ... just one more, one more, God please  ://
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
My word. I actually made a small bet on Dancevic to win, but wasn't expecting a rout. Good job by the Canadians. Also good jo for the Argentines to lead 2-0. Otherwise things are more or less as expected.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »
Results To Date:

Canada are 2-0 up & unless Spain can salvage it somehow, they go out!  With Nadal & Ferrer not playing, and with Raonic there for Canada, it wasn't going to be as straight forward for Spain as might have been the case.   

Italy are level with Croatia at 1-1.  Lorenzi too Cilic to 5 sets before MC could beat him.  And Dodig took a set off Seppi.

Kazakhstan won both matches!  And in straight sets. Golubev & Kolrolev beating Haider-Maurer & Melzer respectively. 

France has won both matches too, but Weintraub gave Tsonga a good match to take it to 4 sets.

Serbia unsurprisingly  won both matches too. However  Goffin took it to 5 sets against Troicki.  The Serbian doubles team should win it for them.

Switzerland & Czech republic are 1-1 too. The Wawrinka / Berdych match should be good!

The USA ought to win it, given the Bryans in the doubles. But Soares / Melo are excellent doubles players too - I'd like to watch this match.

Argentina are up 2-0 too.  Kohlshreiber took it to 5 sets before Berloq prevailed.  It's nice to see Nalbandian on the court again. 

Alex - a well deserved rendition of your national anthem there!   :)
Carpe Diem

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
5-6 hour matches are so 2012.

7 hours is now the measure of "EPIC."

Czechs win seven-hour match

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/02/doubles-day-brazil-beats-bryan-brothers-czechs-win-seven-hour-match/46276/#.UQ2yPWet2dk
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
We lost doubles in 5 sets  :\. Nestor is getting old, he is still good but ... let's hope Raonic will win tomorrow.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
5-6 hour matches are so 2012.

7 hours is now the measure of "EPIC."

Czechs win seven-hour match

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/02/doubles-day-brazil-beats-bryan-brothers-czechs-win-seven-hour-match/46276/#.UQ2yPWet2dk

lol, that is some crazy ...!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
Wawrinka vs. Berdych should be so much fun after that marathon match. I hope I'll be able to watch it. Like them both, but I think I'll cheer for Stan because he put so much effort for Switzerland.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »
I'm watching Wawrinka / Berdych & reminded of why TB is such a good player, hitting some beautiful clean winners. SW has put him under pressure at times, and broke him in the second set, but couldn't consolidate.  TB has stayed focused despite the home crowd & taken the momentum in the match from early on. SW is down 2 sets. But up 2-0 in the 3rd.

The fact that these men can play a decent match after their marathon doubles match is amazing in itself!  I don't think SW can win it, but who knows whether TB will feel compelled to make an easy job difficult!  :)

I wanted to have a look at the Bryans -v- Soares / Melo match  & see for myself how the Bryans lost it in the 5th set.  I can't find a video though - if anyone has a link, please post it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:36:05 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »

I wanted to have a look at the Bryans -v- Soares / Melo match  & see for myself how the Bryans lost it in the 5th set.  I can't find a video though - if anyone has a link, please post it. Thanks.

I don't know anything about doubles, but that looks :paper bag: worthy.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 12:10:45 PM »
poor Stan lost again. I didn't see the match tho, but feel bad for him. nothing is going his way.

Raonic is playing in 50 minutes. Go Canada  :yahoo: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
Fantastic win for Canada. Raonic, wow, 22 aces, 55 winners. GGL tried to grind but Milos was so aggressive. I can't believe that we are in QF.  :trampoline: :harp: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :cheer: :cheer: