I have to say that it's tough to choose amongst one-handed backhands for sheer beauty between Federer, Gasquet, Haas & Wawrinka.
I don't really think the Haas backhand is a beauty, although it's a pretty good shot.
Kohlschreiber's backhand is much more elegant in my opinion while Wawa's seems a little mechanic but has the most power out of all these backhands.
Gasquet has the most elegant.
elegance means nothing.
can that backhand produce in the clutch?
is it consistent enough?
would you bet your life on it?
can he win with it?
is that backhand money?
nothing and nobody touches roger`s single hander on this planet. nobody has ever hit it that well and produced such variety consistently over the last 15 years.
i never said that the others were better, just giving my opinion on it. and on my opinion Gasquet's is the flashiest.
is it consistent enough and would I bet my life on it (Fed's) Hell no!
Guga's backhand was definately more money than Roger's. Not saying Roger's is bad, but it's definately not his shot that got him 17 slams generalito.
well we have to look at it from a different angle generalito:
1. gasquet can't do anything else so his backhand is the most obvious stroke that catches people`s eyes.
2. i see flaws in the mechanics of the gasquet backhand and that is exactly why it is so inconsistent.
3. if you just compare gasquet`s backhand to roger`s backhand, its no contest. roger blows his backhand away.
4. rogers`s mechanics are near perfect on his backhand. furthermore, his variety off that wing is exceptional.
5. roger`s backhand has been overlooked because his forehand --along with nadal`s forehand-- have been the most devastating strokes in history.
6. roger holds serve at his peak nearly 90% of the time and finishes his service games in less than a minute. it his 2nd most devastating stroke. he kills you with his serve or his forehand. you take your pick in terms of how you want to die.
7. roger`s net game is 2nd to none at his peak for a singles player. his volleys are pure magic.
8. roger floats around the damn court at his peak.
translation: people forget about what his backhand can do and does in light of all those things i mentioned.
nobody is stupid enough over the years to keep hitting to his forehand. they mostly went after his backhand. and guess what happened?
it did not fail. nadal was the only one who could break it down.
and truth be known, nadal did not really break it down. roger`s arm would get tired eventually and he would start missing.