Author Topic: Andy Murray ready to dedicate himself to assault on French Open title  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: Andy Murray ready to dedicate himself to assault on French Open title
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
If Andy Murray were to win RG this year, I believe he would be the first man since Mats Wilander to win RG in the same season he won his first clay tournament. The difference? Wilander was 17. Also, noone stuck on 0 clay titles at 25 managed to reach the RG final later in their careers. So he's pretty much got history against him.

Andy has always played against history. Nothing new for him. Things are only impossible when you think they are. He has still 5 to 7 years left him. I do see him winning a few clay titles. He doesn't have as good a chance to win RG as the other three, but the truth of the matter is, even Federer had to rely on the off chance to win RG. Nole has yet to win it despite winning a few titles on clay. Andy happens to like clay so he'll give it a good effort when he feels right. Chances will open up for him. As they say, luck doesn't happen. You create them. Luck happens when you see an opportunity and then you go and seize it. The word Ďluckí is a poor manís version of the ways he/she sees things. Anyway, Andy is a very smart guy after all and he believes in himself more and more these days. With the right frame of mind, nothing is impossible.

Always played against history? In what way? National slam drought is the only thing that comes to mind. So far Murray has not done anything that hasn't been done before. An RG title would change that. Given his clay career so far, I simply can't see him win there. The other slams, however, should be possible.

And I never said anything about "Luck".

Why should Andy do anything that wasn't done before? History told him no man won any GS since Fred Perry since 1936 Ė not only that, he was told that he had 3 great guys ahead of him. But he went and did it so obviously the faith or the believe system was always there. Thatís the first step.  Anyway, as I see it, if he wins Wimbledon and AO, which he will, that should be more than enough. Sampras never won RG but it doesn't stand in his way of being as one of the greats. As I said, Federer won RG on the off chance. He didn't beat Nadal to win it. Who is to say these chances won't open up for Andy as well? And of course, if he does go on to win it someday, I am sure some will be very quick to say that he was lucky so luck was implied.

And the Universe doesn't revolve around on what you see or believe. Itís not shortsighted that way. It revolves around on what itís capable of and itís capable of anything. Besides, there's a first time in anything. There wasn't any World War before WWI. As I said, if you want something, thereís nothing that can stop you as long as you have the right frame of mind. Einstein failed one of his physics courses in college and he was an average student all his life. Imagine if he were to say, ďI am going to be THE Scientist in the whole UniverseĒ at that point. You would be the first one to ridicule him.  Frankly, I canít think like you and I am sure Andy doesnít think that way either. He doesnít have a loser mentality. He needs to believe in it and then he will execute it when the opportunity strikes. 
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
Alex you Emma's name wrong on insane it should have said Alex :whistle:

Siddy, letís do some trolling. I find Nole's celebrations after a big win puke worthy? Do you? I want to like him but that stands in the way. If he doesn't do it anymore then I will probably like him but I am not holding my breath here.

Having said that, if both Nole and Nadal meet at RG, I'd like Nadal to rip Nole apart just like Nole rips his shirt off after a victory.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »

Siddy, letís do some trolling. I find Nole's celebrations after a big win puke worthy? Do you? I want to like him but that stands in the way. If he doesn't do it anymore then I will probably like him but I am not holding my breath here.

Having said that, if both Nole and Nadal meet at RG, I'd like Nadal to rip Nole apart just like Nole rips his shirt off after a victory.
OK, let's  troll.
hun, what you fail to understand is that Djokovic is an Alpha Male. Unlike Mandy, Nole is calm and composed on the court during a match. After he wins, he can yell, rip his shirt or do whatever he pleases because he is the King, undisputed #1 ... all that one slam wonder Murray knows is to curse, throw F bombs left and right, making idiotic facial expressions along the way ...  plain ugly   :::O
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:54:42 PM by Alex »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
So Alex you want to call Murray Mandy,shall we call Djokovic Snotovic? Dont forget there is more than one fan on a board.@ the Australian Open Nole was great,ATM he seems to own that court.Maybe things should cool down ah.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
Murray and his fans are utterly delusional if they think he'll ever win a French Open.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
Murray and his fans are utterly delusional if they think he'll ever win a French Open.

Go away Spit the dog or i will come & annoy you in the fed fan bit ;-()
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:22:52 PM by sid »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
FedFanForever has a new name Spit the dog.
Those who don't know Spit the dog here is a clip.
Spit the Dog

tiswas - bob carolgees and spit the dog - the pie song ( this old man ) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:51 PM »
If Andy Murray were to win RG this year, I believe he would be the first man since Mats Wilander to win RG in the same season he won his first clay tournament. The difference? Wilander was 17. Also, noone stuck on 0 clay titles at 25 managed to reach the RG final later in their careers. So he's pretty much got history against him.

Andy has always played against history. Nothing new for him. Things are only impossible when you think they are. He has still 5 to 7 years left him. I do see him winning a few clay titles. He doesn't have as good a chance to win RG as the other three, but the truth of the matter is, even Federer had to rely on the off chance to win RG. Nole has yet to win it despite winning a few titles on clay. Andy happens to like clay so he'll give it a good effort when he feels right. Chances will open up for him. As they say, luck doesn't happen. You create them. Luck happens when you see an opportunity and then you go and seize it. The word Ďluckí is a poor manís version of the ways he/she sees things. Anyway, Andy is a very smart guy after all and he believes in himself more and more these days. With the right frame of mind, nothing is impossible.

Always played against history? In what way? National slam drought is the only thing that comes to mind. So far Murray has not done anything that hasn't been done before. An RG title would change that. Given his clay career so far, I simply can't see him win there. The other slams, however, should be possible.

Why should Andy do anything that wasn't done before? History told him no man won any GS since Fred Perry since 1936 Ė not only that, he was told that he had 3 great guys ahead of him. But he went and did it so obviously the faith or the believe system was always there. Thatís the first step.  Anyway, as I see it, if he wins Wimbledon and AO, which he will, that should be more than enough. Sampras never won RG but it doesn't stand in his way of being as one of the greats. As I said, Federer won RG on the off chance. He didn't beat Nadal to win it. Who is to say these chances won't open up for Andy as well? And of course, if he does go on to win it someday, I am sure some will be very quick to say that he was lucky so luck was implied.

And the Universe doesn't revolve around on what you see or believe. Itís not shortsighted that way. It revolves around on what itís capable of and itís capable of anything. Besides, there's a first time in anything. There wasn't any World War before WWI. As I said, if you want something, thereís nothing that can stop you as long as you have the right frame of mind. Einstein failed one of his physics courses in college and he was an average student all his life. Imagine if he were to say, ďI am going to be THE Scientist in the whole UniverseĒ at that point. You would be the first one to ridicule him.  Frankly, I canít think like you and I am sure Andy doesnít think that way either. He doesnít have a loser mentality. He needs to believe in it and then he will execute it when the opportunity strikes.

History told him no man won GS since 1936 is only relevant if he's reading too many newspapers. His colleagues won slams. Are you seriously suggesting he thought he couldn't win because he was British? And then had to overcome that? Winning the first slam should be no worse for him than for anyone else. It's not as if history is littered with Swiss or Serbian slam winners, you know.

As for "The universe doesn't revolve around you" I find that comment really thoughtless. There's nothing in my post to suggest I think it does. Are you here for tennis discussions or insulting people? Voicing our opinions is a part of discussing tennis, and doing so doesn't merit being called narcissist or worse simply for stating what one believes, and commenting upon what has been done before and what hasn't. Yes, there's a first time for everything, Federer and Nadal has proven that many times. They are boundary-pushers. Murray, so far, has not been. You can hope that he will become one, you can expect it, but you can't really critizise those who don't think he will, because odds are on their side.

The part where you say he doesn't have to win RG to be great I agree with, except it's somewhat off topic in a discussion about his RG chances.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »
Be it as it may... Sid just wrote an amazing post on how he thinks Djokovic and murray are moving away from the pack... and he does say how these two guys are playing similar style of play, being counter-punchers, covering the court and whatnot.. and I do agree with him on that, but the only difference is that Djokovic has mastered that type of play and is above Murray, SPECIALLY in slower courts. i.e. AO Final. So, if Murray was to win RG he has to get past Djokovic and I just don't see that hapenning for two reasons.
1. Djokovic is also aiming RG, specially since he know Nadal is not going to be in top form, so he know this year is his chance.. And he is going to be hungry for the title.
2. Djokovic is better at their style of play and coming clay season, Djokovic will only get better, so if they were to meet, I see Djokovic giving Murray a lesson on counter-punching on clay.

So, Murray does have a shot but not a very good one specially if Djokovic is at the other side of the net.

If he would have said Wimbledon, then that's a different story, he definitely has a shot at Wimbledon, and I expect Murray to do good at Wimbledon and quite possibly get the title, but RG, a whole different story.

Siddy didn't write it. He just forgot to add the link. He sometimes forgets that. I guess the link is not as important to him as the content of the article.

I agree with your assessment re: Djokovic. He desperately wants RG but if he runs into Murray, he'll be in trouble. Andy will be very keen on getting a win over Djoko on clay since the pressure wonít be as much. Heíll see it as one step closer to RG.

I strongly believe Murray will have a different approach against Djoko going forward. Heíll, first of all, try his best to get a lot of free points off serve. Second, heíll be more attacking than Nole as heís getting more and more comfortable in that territory. And heís just as good in the returning department. So Andy will have a different strategy. The key will be, for Murray especially, to stay healthy and keep his earlier matches as short as possible, so that he can take a clear shot at Nole. And this basically will apply everywhere.   Heíll have the same strategy against Nadal. Andy is no Federer so heís not going to go after each point. Heíll be selective but at the same time he will try his best to keep the pressure on.
:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.
NO1E, HE CAN DO IT 3 TIMES IN A ROW
NOVAK "WIZARD OF OZ" DJOKOVIC

Quote from: Prodigy.
nick is god

THE AGE OF DJOKER THE BARBARIAN HAS COME

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »

You need IQ larger than your shoe size to do that.

TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »

History told him no man won GS since 1936 is only relevant if he's reading too many newspapers. His colleagues won slams. Are you seriously suggesting he thought he couldn't win because he was British? And then had to overcome that? Winning the first slam should be no worse for him than for anyone else. It's not as if history is littered with Swiss or Serbian slam winners, you know.

As for "The universe doesn't revolve around you" I find that comment really thoughtless. There's nothing in my post to suggest I think it does. Are you here for tennis discussions or insulting people? Voicing our opinions is a part of discussing tennis, and doing so doesn't merit being called narcissist or worse simply for stating what one believes, and commenting upon what has been done before and what hasn't. Yes, there's a first time for everything, Federer and Nadal has proven that many times. They are boundary-pushers. Murray, so far, has not been. You can hope that he will become one, you can expect it, but you can't really critizise those who don't think he will, because odds are on their side.

The part where you say he doesn't have to win RG to be great I agree with, except it's somewhat off topic in a discussion about his RG chances.

Hang on folks whats this a gang up on Emma,i will say this,Emma has been around on here a good while.She might not been here so much of late but she does know her tennis.Back of abit ah.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »

Better than a IQ the size of a pea ;-()
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:02:32 PM by sid »

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »

Sid, we're talking about IQ here, not about the "size" of your family jewels. ;-()
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »

Sid, we're talking about IQ here, not about the "size" of your family jewels. ;-()

no problems there boy,go back 2 your school work.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

Will do grandpa.Don't forget to put your false teeth  in a glass of water before you go to bed.
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »

Will do grandpa.Don't forget to put your false teeth  in a glass of water before you go to bed.

Now i see you as only a boy & i think i have that right by your post.Knock yourself out & post away.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »

That's because the Brits are very much into their sports. In fact, they are crazy about it so they make a big deal about it and they did in it Andy's case. That's why it was far more difficult than it was supposed to be. I hang out with the Brits a lot (not only forums but my ex-boyfriend was English so I have first hand knowledge). The Swiss or the Serbians had never any expectations to begin with so there was never any pressure. UK is a very difficult country unlike the other two. They have a long history in anything. It's a whole different dynamic altogether. Andy has to deal with this different dynamics day in day out. You'd be a great fool if you don't take these mental aspects of things into account.

Also, Federer's first finalist was Phillipousis at Wimbledon, a guy who was past his prime at that time and a first time Slam finalist himself. Nadal's first time finalist was Puerta, a guy who had difficulties to getting past the 3rd round in any Slam and a first time finalist at RG as well. Nole's opponent Tsonga was also a first time finalist at AO in 2008. Andy has faced so far Federer 3 times and Nole 2 times. In other words, all his finalists were not only previous Slam winners but also No. 1 players. Unlike his peers, he never had the luxury to meet with a player who was also a first time finalist. So it was essentially far more difficult for him than the other three.

You said you just 'can't see Andy winning RG'. That's your educated guess at best. In reality, you have absolutely no clue whether Andy will win RG or not. Rest assured, if he dose go on to win it in the near future I am sure you won't be here to own it. That's why I said, unless you are the ruler of the Universe and you know something we don't, your argument doesn't hold any water. Never say never.

This thread is about Andy stating that he has a chance... a shot at RG. Neither he or I are saying anything otherwise. Everything else was imposed by other people and it became off topic a long time ago. If Andy wins RG, that will be great, if not, no harm will be done.

Btw, it's not intelligent at all to compare Andy who's only peaking to those who are now passing their prime. Andy has still a solid 5 years left in him and a lot can happen in this timeframe.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:05:43 PM by Emma »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

And if your IQ was any better, you would have responded with something more solid than this. Let's say something that actually requires some thoughts.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »

Now i see you as only a boy & i think i have that right by your post.Knock yourself out & post away.

He's a boy of course that's why he's failing to come up with a more reasonable response.

Offline nick the greek

• Tennis Player
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »

And if your IQ was any better, you would have responded with something more solid than this. Let's say something that actually requires some thoughts.
If your IQ was any better you wouldn't foam at the mouth about Andy winning RG.How about winning Wimbledon first?He's better on grass than on clay right?After all he's supposed to be a better grass player than No1e.Also he is Wimbledon champion and No1e is not, oh wait...
TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

nick is god