Author Topic: Nadal: “The 25-Second Rule Will Harm the Fans”  (Read 1276 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Re: Nadal: “The 25-Second Rule Will Harm the Fans”
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:51 AM »
On a side note, I had to laugh when someone compared lengthy rallies to a 'chess match'.  How ribiculous!  Chess matches take days to play out.  Who the hell wants to watch that?

I see you have not watched much chess. We have something called blitz chess. Also bullet chess. The former takes maximum 10 minutes to finish, the latter maximum 2 minutes.

And there are no matches of any kind that goes on beyond five or six hours nowadays.

LMAO!!!!

monster don't know nuttin'bout chess.

:popcorn:
Yeah, ask Scooter 'bout dat...... :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
Re: Nadal: “The 25-Second Rule Will Harm the Fans”
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »
On a side note, I had to laugh when someone compared lengthy rallies to a 'chess match'.  How ribiculous!  Chess matches take days to play out.  Who the hell wants to watch that?

I see you have not watched much chess. We have something called blitz chess. Also bullet chess. The former takes maximum 10 minutes to finish, the latter maximum 2 minutes.

And there are no matches of any kind that goes on beyond five or six hours nowadays.
Surely you don't consider blitz and bullet to be 'real' chess?
That would be akin to calling table tennis -  tennis! ;-()

I won't presume to say what is "real" chess. I know they have a blitz World Championship. If you want to compare long tennis rallies to chess, this is the chess form that is most appropriate. Not much time to think between each move. Still, the length of tennis matches can exceed the length of matches in a "proper" chess World Championship so comparing to that is not totally ridiculous.

Not that I personally want to compare long rallies to chess of any kind.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 04:40:37 AM »
They have a World Championship Hot Dog eating contest as well.....

It just cracks me up that there are only a couple of players who seem to have a problem with 25 second rule.  Both are chronic momentum manipulators and use the stall tactic to disrupt play regardless of rally/point length.

I'm all for allowing the chair to extend time between points after an especially long rally.  I also support the enforcement of the time rule when it is being abused.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:11 AM »
I fully agree with you about the time rule. I've wanted it enforced as long as I can remember.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
Just the other day DelPo got a warning.
He's dog slow at times.  :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

It just cracks me up that there are only a couple of players who seem to have a problem with 25 second rule.  Both are chronic momentum manipulators and use the stall tactic to disrupt play regardless of rally/point length.

I'm all for allowing the chair to extend time between points after an especially long rally.  I also support the enforcement of the time rule when it is being abused.

Some players use extra time to disrupt the opponents rhythm.
Good to take away this part of the game.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »

Some players use extra time to disrupt the opponents rhythm.
Good to take away this part of the game.
If a player feels the need to use gamesmanship to win, they are either lacking in confidence, ability, or both.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »
DelPo got another time violation today, that's two I know about from just this week.
He asked about it, and he took 31 seconds.

I noticed DelPo is going about his business quicker, it's nice to get on with the game.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
Well, I do have to completely disagree with Nadal here.. It seems he is just complaining for everything here. He is always complaining about something. First the balls in Brazil. Then the courts, then the 25 second rule.

Play the game man!!!

As for the 25 second rule, well, it's time they did something about this.... I mean, personally I think umpires should enforce this rule hoe they see fit, ic there was a 40 rally point umpires should determine if they allow an extra 5 seconds to this rule, but not just disregard this rule completely. I can understand players needing 5 more seconds after one specific point, no all the match all together.

And that's what Nadal wants... People don't Need 5 hour matches if that means half the match is just time between points.

I am glad they are enforcing this rule with the exception of common sense by the umpire. Problem here is, what is common sense to each umpire.

Either way, I prefer umpires enforcing this rule as opposed to just disregard it and let the players do what they want, kind of like what's been happening the last 10 years.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2