Author Topic: Nadal criticizes the Sao Paolo tournament  (Read 842 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Nadal criticizes the Sao Paolo tournament
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »

World No. 5 Rafael Nadal has come out on Wednesday with some scathing remarks towards the organisers of the Brasil Open, a tournament which is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 Series.

"It is unacceptable that a tournament is held in these conditions. The bounce of the ball is too irregular, the lines are falling off and the balls are far too soft. You can not have any long rallies here."

Nadal followed that up with a critique of the ATP.

"This situation is a consequence of the ATP's lack of worry for the players. These courts are bad for the health of the players and I hope someone will take action against this. The audience wants to see long matches and on these kinds of courts that is impossible without injuries, no?"

When asked about the state of his knee, Nadal was cautiously optimistic.

"My knee feels a bit better today. Of course, it still changes from day to day, some day it's better, some day it's worse. All I can do is see how things go and I hope the injury will not cause me to lose matches I could win."

He assured the Brazilian journalists that his qualms were with the São Paulo tournament only.

"I love playing in Brazil and I am already looking forward to the Olympics in Rio. I just think that this tournament has had some problems with the organisation, but my team and I are going to talk to the organisers and see if it can be fixed."

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:30:03 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Nadal criticizes the Sao Paolo tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I want to know what happen to the courts!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:29:48 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
Wow...Nadal back and is really complaining about a lot of things.... :whistle:  The time clock, courts, etc....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
When's this guy going to concentrate on his game?

I can hardly stand whiners, he needs to find out what it takes to be a man.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

yeah, he's been really cranky lately. too many negative comments and complaints. I mean we are talking Sao Paolo here, not RG. He is getting hammered and harassed on all tennis boards regarding his comments and interviews (especially on MTF). However, I did see some pics of the courts in Sao Paolo and they do look horrible.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

yeah, he's been really cranky lately. too many negative comments and complaints. I mean we are talking Sao Paolo here, not RG. He is getting hammered and harassed on all tennis boards regarding his comments and interviews (especially on MTF). However, I did see some pics of the courts in Sao Paolo and they do look horrible.

That's a 250 event.  He just entered a 250 event last week.  He didn't have to enter another one.  If the courts are "bad", then they are "bad" for everyone...and since he's the best clay court player...he still shouldn't have as many problems playing on a bad court as the other players.  I don't know...and if they are so bad...why risk yourself by entering into the double's event too?  That's twice the amount of time you have to spend on the "bad" courts! :confused1:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »

That's a 250 event.  He just entered a 250 event last week.  He didn't have to enter another one.  If the courts are "bad", then they are "bad" for everyone...and since he's the best clay court player...he still shouldn't have as many problems playing on a bad court as the other players.  I don't know...and if they are so bad...why risk yourself by entering into the double's event too?  That's twice the amount of time you have to spend on the "bad" courts! :confused1:
Dallas, to be honest with you I don't get Rafa lately. As much as I like to joke and fool around I have nothing but deep respect for Rafa (Fed too). I just do not understand what Rafa's strategy is. His PR team does horrible job. Nadal seems to be frustrated. Sure, he was gone for 7 months and he needs to practice but I'm not sure that these little 250 clay tournaments are the answer. He  can't keep running away from HC. Why he has to play doubles and singles in these MM tournaments? He has really nothing to gain. Why not play Acapulco (500, respectable clay tournament), IW, Miami (slow/mid HC that suit his game very well) and then go straight to the European clay season. I know he has to start somewhere but still ...

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »
i agree Alex, i'm becoming slightly baffled by Rafa recently.
I thought it was odd when he missed the aussie open due to 'lack of practice'. Maybe it's a head thing now, mentally he's just lost something, i dunno, maybe in a few months this will all seem far behind him.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
i agree Alex, i'm becoming slightly baffled by Rafa recently.
I thought it was odd when he missed the aussie open due to 'lack of practice'. Maybe it's a head thing now, mentally he's just lost something, i dunno, maybe in a few months this will all seem far behind him.
You may be on to something here.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
It's not just Nadal, The Fog criticized the courts too.

But then again, Nadal has really become "The Official Complainer"

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
It's not just Nadal, The Fog criticized the courts too.

But then again, Nadal has really become "The Official Complainer"

Half the folks doesn't even know who "the Fog" is... so when Nadal talks - it makes headlines (good or bad). Again, what do you really expect from these 250 tournaments?  It's not like they have a ton of money.  Oh well...

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/tennis/news/nadal-blames-atp-for-sao-paulo-problems_69336.html
Rafael Nadal blames ATP for Sao Paulo problems

By Michael Penkman, Reporter
Filed: Friday, February 15, 2013 at 02:15 UK
Last Updated: Friday, February 15, 2013 at 02:15 UK

World number five Rafael Nadal has blamed the ATP for the tricky conditions at the Brazil Open.

Many players and coaches have complained about the state of the indoor clay courts in Sao Paulo, but the Spaniard - speaking after his 6-4 6-4 win over Joao Sousa - believes that the balls are causing the problems.

"The balls are very fast and with very little hair, it's hard to control," Nadal told reporters. "The problem isn't the courts, it's the ball.

"It's the ATP's fault, not the tournament's. The ATP doesn't have the capacity and infrastructure to choose balls before the start of the tournament."

Nadal faces Carlos Berlocq in the quarter-final today.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »
Is Nadal complaining too much? You play this tournament 1st time almost a decade, and you suddently complain about the ball. If it is feature of this tournament, how are you going to say? I don't understand what happen to Nadal. Maybe he is in the top too long and cannot get used to what low-ranking players are facing.

If you find it is hard to control, please doesn't say because it does not suit your playing style or blame someone else.  Because in opposite logic, we can say because you don't know how do control this ball!

Please smash my face if I am wrong! :\
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:48:57 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
Is Nadal complaining too much? You play this tournament 1st time almost a decade, and you suddently complain about the ball. If it is feature of this tournament, how are you going to say? I don't understand what happen to Nadal. Maybe he is in the top too long and cannot get used to what low-ranking players are facing.

If you find it is hard to control, please doesn't say because it does not suit your playing style or blame someone else.  Because in opposite logic, we can say because you don't know how do control this ball!

Please smash my face if I am wrong! :\
:rofl_2:

There's countless threads all over about the different complaints.
Nadal won't be happy till his game comes around, but I don't really care what he says.
Don't like it?  Then don't play is the way I see it.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
so now, it's not the courts, it's the ball  ..-), or Rafa's balls. which one is it? alex confused  :innocent: :whistle: