Author Topic: "Roland Garros canīt continue as it is today"  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: "Roland Garros canīt continue as it is today"
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »
I think they need to move it to a place with hard courts  :)

Trouble maker.  :rofl_2:

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
Maybe this is the best place for this. Earlier this year it was reported that RG renovation couldn't happen because of opposition from local residents.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/01/renovation-roland-garros-blocked-by-paris-tribunal-over-residents-environmental/

Now the tournament director Gilbert Ysern has said the renovation is a must or the event could fade.

http://www.10sballs.com/2013/05/23/roland-garros-approval-of-expansion-plans-a-must-or-event-could-fade/

Hopefully they can secure the future of the French Open as a slam, preferably at Roland Garros.

I think the idea that if a Middle East oil barron ponied up enough money to hold a grand slam during the French Open that the players would bite is delusional.

#1 - It's way too hot to play tennis in Dubai during May-June.
#2 - Players will continue to put up with the lack of amenities because Roland Garros is the 2nd oldest slam and very prestigious. No Dubai Open could ever compete with that.

I doubt Dubai will ever host a slam. They have money, but even China is better for sponsors, China has much more potential customers than Middle East. And if China will replace any slam, it'll be AO.

But I think FO's threats are Madrid and Rome. If one of those gets more liked by the players and FO ends up having outdated facilities, I could see ITF giving the slam status to Madrid/Rome. And that threat is the reason for RG renovation plans. And good so, the pinnacles of the sport must have also facilities that reflect that. And I believe FO will remain as a slam, they'll do what they need to do.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
The Madrid owner's soul would fly if he read your post  :)~

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »
Maybe RG can get support from the opposing parties eventually, that would be best to keep it there and expand it.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/sports/tennis/renovation-plans-in-limbo-roland-garros-faces-future.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

The article is informative, and the last two sentences says it all.. 
They are paying for the bad decision they made back in 2011.  Especially that the decision was pulled off with last second political manipulations by the city and that they changed the projected the cost and the completion time from what they said when they were campaigning have left them with little room for credibility and maneuver now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:51:38 AM by Mertov »