Yes, I'm here. Good day all. Reading and trying to catch up on all the posts It used to be easier...
i saw a little bit of the borg vs vilas match from RG. 1978 RG battle. i came across it on youtube somehow. i was not even looking for it. and i dont watch any youtube either. must have been some damn ad and i may have clicked on it by accident. anyway i watched a few games.
borg had a huge advantage over vilas:
1. borg had the speed and the movement that was 2nd to none in his day
2. double hander. he never missed. single handers have too many variables. that has never hanged and never will. so you get the power, consistency, and the disguise. you also get the return of serve which is absolutely huge in tennis. his double hander was an absolute machine. he never missed. and he never missed in the clutch either on clay.
3. borg was slightly taller or may have been. i do not know for sure.
4. borg was moonballer. from what i saw, he came to play all day and all night but he was not going to take too many risks.
and indeed why should he have. what he was doing was working. nobody had ever been that fast to that slam haul by that young age.
5. court positioning. he had better court positioning than vilas. his speed, stamina, and his movement could have made it possible for him to play far back behind the baseline but it looks like borg did not have to.