Author Topic: Federer: No. 1 Realistic This Year  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Federer: No. 1 Realistic This Year
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Looks like Fed has set some more goals, he also believes he has more slams in him.  :king:

I wouldn't mind another RG too.

World No. 2 Roger Federer says he still has a chance to reclaim the No. 1 ranking, but it will take an extraordinary year to so do. The 31-year-old Swiss is playing a more limited schedule in 2013, including skipping the Miami Masters. After Indian Wells, where Federer is defending his title and 1,000 points, he will take seven weeks off until Madrid, which begins on May 5. Federer is currently 3,105 points behind No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

Its definitely realistic if Im playing great, but I need to play absolutely great, Federer told reporters in Dubai, where he is also defending his title and 500 points. I can play great, but will I be allowed to? Time will tell. My big focus is on making sure that every tournament I enter I am perfectly prepared. I am hopeful I will get enough matches, but if not my schedule can be changed. I need to make sure I have enough time off, so that when 2014 comes I am in a position with options, which I almost wasnt this year to a degree.

Federer, who won his record 17th Grand Slam singles title at Wimbledon last summer, added that he is capable of winning more majors.
He has not won a major off grass since the 2010 Australian Open.
I strongly believe I have more Slams in me, Federer said. Which Slam do I favor -- does Wimbledon over-weigh the rest? Maybe, but looking back there have been amazing moments with each Slam. It depends how long I play. But I dont want to be depending on that. I am trying to be smart with my schedule. I am practicing more. Your prime is 23 to 27 or 28 so for me its very challenging -- and exciting. I need to make the right decisions. I have family and not many guys have that.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: Federer: No. 1 Realistic This Year
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
Totally delusional. Djokovic is already running away with the #1 ranking and he's only going to get more dominant. Fed better settle in to #3.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
Totally delusional. Djokovic is already running away with the #1 ranking and he's only going to get more dominant. Fed better settle in to #3.

Look what happened last year when he shocked the tennis world, even though he's aging he is good enough still.

Anyways he has to have something to shoot for, a true spartan never quits!!!!!!!

:gleam:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »
general swish is right. those kind of goals are important.

at least he is all about his tennis.

all nadal can talk about is his damn golf and his poker. meaning of course that he has quit, let alone produce any meaningful goals  for himself in tennis.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »

Look what happened last year when he shocked the tennis world, even though he's aging he is good enough still.

Anyways he has to have something to shoot for, a true spartan never quits!!!!!!!

:gleam:

Last year he wasn't defending a piss-ton of points.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
It's not realistic at all but it's good to see Fed still being passionate. Fed is just not playing as well as he used to. Djokovic is a monster atm. I doubt that Fed will be ranked #2 for a long time. Murray will probably overtake him. I'm pretty sure that Fed doesn't really care about #1 any more (I don't think skipping Miami and playing Rotterdam is a very good idea but whatever) ... he won't play MC ... you don't get to #1 with this type of schedule.  I don't see him being too dedicated.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »
Yeah, if he cared about the Number 1 ranking like he did last year, he wouldn't skip a Masters tourney and then take almost 2 months off.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:07:40 AM »
Yeah, if he cared about the Number 1 ranking like he did last year, he wouldn't skip a Masters tourney and then take almost 2 months off.

He skipped MC last year also, when he clearly cared about #1. And he got only 90 points from Miami, so in itself that is not sacrificing his chances.

The strategy of having refreshing breaks and then try to do well in the most important tournaments is probably his best chance of accumulating a highest possible points total. I don't see it being enough to return to #1 again, though.

For now I hope he can secure the #2 ranking for the FO. He only needs to do marginally better than Murray the next couple of months to insure that.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »
nole has a lot on his plate. he has to defend the finals appearance at RG for one thing.
he has to do well in indian wells and win miami masters.

murray and roger will be ready for wimbledon this year. murray probably prizes that the most this year while roger has to defend his crown there.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Fed has a lot more to defend than Murray. But to make #1 you just have to do better in ANY 12 month span.

It seems Murray will move to #2 soon.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
Roger has lost points @ Rotterdam & has to win @ Dubai or Murray gains more points without playing.With Murray working hard to improve his clay court game,i think Murray should move upwards in the rankings.Roger is not getting younger & with hard matches that will take there toll,no way i see him becomming no1.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:37:53 PM by sid »

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
Federer will now use his recovery time to the utmost advantage, get a proper confidence boost from Mirka, and sweep the next 3 majors. He'll set a new record for most titles at Wimbledon and the US Open and finish #1 for the year. Book it. ;):cool:
 Here's how:

Roland Garros projection:
Murray, Nadal and Berdych in Djokovic half, Ferrer, Del Potro and Tsonga in Federer's half.
Nadal beats Djokovic in the QF in 5 sets, but then Murray beats a tired and hurting Nadal in 4 sets in the semifinal. Nadal simply did not have enough preparation and fitness this year for best of 5 set matches against the best players.
In the SF, Federer disposes of Ferrer in 3 sets and sees off Murray in 4 sets to win his second Roland Garros title.

Wimbledon projection:
Nadal defeats Rosol (Wimbledon loves arranging repeat classic matches [see Isner-Mahut]), but then loses to Janowicz.
Djokovic loses indoors on slippery grass, falling to Del Potro in QF.
Berdych loses in 2nd round to Gulbis, Gulbis loses in next round to Ferrer.
Federer survives 5 set epic second round with Tommy Haas, then cruises to the final as his possible dangerous opponents fall earlier.
Tsonga loses to Murray in QF.
Del Potro loses to Murray in SF.
Federer beats Murray in 5 sets to win record 8th Wimbledon title. 
Murray cries again and says he is still getting closer to winning Wimbledon. Wimbledon King Federer consoles Murray and magnanimously proclaims: "Look, I'm sure Andy will win at least 1 Wimbledon Championships title.", and promptly receives a thankful hug from Andy of the Murray clan.

US Open projection:
Nadal defeats his Spanish Armada compatriots, Andujar, Granollers, Verdasco and Almagro, but after beating Andy Murray in an exhausting 5 set QF, is forced to withdraw before playing Novak Djokovic in the SF.

On Monday, Djokovic who has not played since the Thursday QF when he beat Berdych, plays Federer in the final. After Federer saves 3 SP in 3rd set and takes it, Nole saves 2 MP in the 4th set and tears his shirt off prematurely. Djokovic saves 4 CP in a rocking 5th set tiebreaker, but Federer saves 6 CP, winning the tiebreaker 16-14 and the championship. 

After the match during the on court speeches, Djokovic, asked if the extra days off hurt him, polite as ever, shook off that excuse and exclaimed "It's no shame to lose to the GOAT, just please, please, can you retire already?" 

After winning his 20th Grand Slam title and a record 6 US Open titles, and asked what's left for him to accomplish, Federer announces, "I may compete in the 2020 Olympics if I'm not allowed to win the singles Gold in Rio, and...oh yes there is the Jimmy Connors' title record, but we'll see how that goes."

Javi pipe dream over.;)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »

Wimbledon projection:
Nadal defeats Rosol

Would be funny to see Rosol repeat!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tio_toni

• Tennis Player
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
#1again?  :rofl_2:   Le Fraud is in denial. 
He does have a couple more shots at Wimbledon seeing as nobody seems to know how to play on grass anymore. 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
#1again?  :rofl_2:   Le Fraud is in denial. 
He does have a couple more shots at Wimbledon seeing as nobody seems to know how to play on grass anymore. 

It was just last year that the declining Fed took #1 over a prime Nadal and Djokovic.
It shocked the tennis world.  :cool:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »

At this point Fed better make sure he can stay #4 by the end of the year.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:01:03 AM »

At this point Fed better make sure he can stay #4 by the end of the year.

You mean stay top-4. He'd have to fall to #4 before he can start thinking about staying there. A fall to #3 could happen soon but a fall to #4 will - if it happens - be months away, barring a few unexpected Masters wins by Ferrer.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
Fed will probably have no problem staying ahead of David Ferrer for the #4 spot, but it will be a huge struggle to remain #2.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Fed will probably have no problem staying ahead of David Ferrer for the #4 spot, but it will be a huge struggle to remain #2.
who knows? I need to see Murray playing soon, see what he does during the clay season. Fed staying at #2 would give him (theoretically) better draws. As I said earlier, I don't think that Fed cares too much about getting back to #1 and even if he does, it's very unlikely to happen. I mean let's be realistic. Fed is slowing down and there is no way back ... I'm still puzzled with Nadal too. knees, no knees, too much controversial info

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Roger said in an interview that #1 isn't a priority for him this year. He said he wanted to get the record last year and he scheduled his tournaments to get that.  However, he's said that #1 is not a priority and he intends to take 2 months off after Indian Wells.  After his great career - he is entitled to whatever he does!  I think this thread was just started for 'conversation' purposes on the board. ;-()