Author Topic: ATP/WTA INDIAN WELLS, 3/4-17/2013  (Read 11498 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: ATP/WTA INDIAN WELLS, 3/4-17/2013
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »
Other than Del Potro getting past Murray, no surprises in the SF line up. I wasn't able to see any of the QF matches, and will try to do so.

Berdych has been playing very well of late, hasn't dropped a set in getting to the SF, but I suspect that might change when he plays Nadal. I'm hoping they'll both play will & produce a good contest.  These slow courts suit Nadal's game and he ought to get through.

Federer looked ragged against a less than scintillating Wawrinka due to his back injury, and the writing was on the wall for him regardless of whom he played in the QF.  The fact that it was Nadal, sealed his fate. I'm sorry to see him struggling & hope he'll come back to play better tennis in May.   

I'm keen to watch the Murray/Del Potro match in particular, to see how Del Potro played.  I hope he can give Djokovic a run for his money. I suspect though that he'll have to work hard to take it to a 3rd set.

As for Djokovic, he seems to be in a world apart, with little to disturb his tranquility. It will take more than Del Potro's formidable forehand to cause ripples, but this SF could provide some excellent tennis.

It seems a Nada/Djokovic final awaits.     

Huey/Janowicz, playing together for the first time, are through to the doubles final. I'd be pleased to see them lift the trophy to end their adventures here.   

Schedule for Saturday, 16 March 2013

STADIUM 1 Start 12:00 noon

[6] Tomas Berdych (CZE)  v  [5] Rafael Nadal (ESP)
[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) v [7] Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

Not Before 3:00 PM

[3] Nadia Petrova (RUS)/Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) v [4] Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)/Elena Vesnina (RUS)

Not Before 4:00 PM

[1] Bob Bryan (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) v Treat Huey (PHI)/Jerzy Janowicz (POL)
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »
same old story. Lit you asked me earlier why I thought Rafa was a big favorite to win this match. this is why. Rafa pounding to Fed's BH and Fed's BH breaks down. Even Fed's FH didn't work out.

I don't care about Rafa knees who was running like a rabbit or Fed's back. this was expected. forget about tennis betting btw. Fed might be able to def. Rafa indoors and that's about it. I don't think he'll def. Nadal anywhere else ever.
This is about the best analysis I have read on the topic, Alex
Djokovic is playing beautifully, isn't he. From what I've seen, he looks relaxed, quietly getting on with the job at hand. His consistency is incredible. 

...............DelPo isn't using all power though still there at times, he's maturing as a player.
Well done to Del Potro for getting through against Murray.  Do you think he'll be able to play well in the SF after a 3 setter?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:10:09 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »
Indian Wells Saturday Game Time Weather Forecast:
Temps: 95 F./35 C.
Wind: 3 mph NNE shifting to 15-20 mph W in afternoon

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. [7] Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

One has to give credit to both of these players. They can recover from defeat and do amazing things!

I never expected Del Potro to have enough energy to come back and beat Djokovic at the 2012 Olympics after losing the marathon match against Federer.  I never expected Djokovic to come back after a grueling match against Murray to be able to defeat Nadal after Nadal got the upper hand in that marathon match at the 2012 AO.

But that's why we watch...we never know what is going to happen.

May the better player win. Good luck to both!

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
I've been watching Del P ever since his first rise up the giant branch and learned early on that he often loses the first set as a part of the warming up process. I was amazed, however, at his ability to come back and win what must have been a really intense physical match under hot summer-like conditions so early in the year. I do feel his forehand has lost some power but I marvelled at those overheads. Not someone on whom you want to try a lob. Should be a good year for him.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »
...................Godblessya will now disappear into nothing as usual now that his main attraction is gone. Adios Amigo. You see, thatís the way his solar system works. Everything revolves around Federer and thereís no exception to the rule. Now that the big Star has collapsed leaving a very big black hole behind, it will take some time to form a new one.............
Looooool!  You actually thought of me and took the trouble to wish me well, Emma  I'm touched.   :rofl_2:   
Your knowledge of the Universe is good as far as it goes. Black holes are indeed left behind when stars collapse.  Your error though is that you liken Federer to a mere star.  The question should of course be, what happens when the Universe itself ( Federer ) collapses?    :scared:
Will there be an existance of anything after FEDERER goes??    :scared:
 :rofl_2:
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
But is there significant mass loss and diminished attraction?   An unseen Fed would be even more of a threat!  :scared:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #286 on: March 16, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »
Some highlights of the QF's matches:

Berdych / Anderson:
Tomas Berdych vs Kevin Anderson - Quarterfinal - ATP Indian Wells 2013

Federer/ Nadal:
Roger Federer vs Rafael Nadal Indian Wells 2013 [HD Highlight]

Murray / Del Potro:
del Potro - Murray | Indian Wells 2013 | Resumen - Highlights [HD]

Djokovic / Nadal:
Novak Djokovic Vs Jo Wilfried Tsonga HIGHLIGHTS Quarter Finals Indian Wells 2013

Carpe Diem

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
Excited for today's match ups!  Someone hit me with the schedule of play EST.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »
But is there significant mass loss and diminished attraction?   An unseen Fed would be even more of a threat!  :scared:
Hi, Euroka   -  Very astute observation if I may say so.  After all, he is rather special! :rofl_2:

I was interested to read your observation on Del Potro.  It was such a pity for him to have had his wrist injury just when he was beginning to gain momentum in his career.  I like his game & hope, as you say, that the year ahead is a good one for him.
Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
Good match for Nadal.
The announcers said he was better than when he left the game last year.

Berdych has to work on his power shots a little and his serve needs some work.
He also has to get his mental game going, missed too many balls that had little on them.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
I would prefer if Nole played Berdych and Nadal DP. but it is what it is. love both Nole and DP. let's hope for a great match.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
I would prefer if Nole played Berdych and Nadal DP. but it is what it is. love both Nole and DP. let's hope for a great match.

That's what I wanted too, a better setup that would be.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
ATP/WTA INDIAN WELLS, 3/4-17/2013
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
If Novak beats Del Po, I'll pull for him in the finals. If Del Po bears Novak, then I'll pull for Del Po in the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
If Novak beats Del Po, I'll pull for him in the finals. If Del Po bears Novak, then I'll pull for Del Po in the finals.

Your pulling for the winner then....    :rofl_2:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »

Your pulling for the winner then....    :rofl_2:

It's her way of saying she picks anyone but Nadal.  :)~
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
Good win for DelPo.

He has added some pushing to his game somewhat like Murray does but has power when needed.

Djokovic just couldn't deal with the power, just too much.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
I think Rafa has more chances against Delpo than if he were to face Djokovic....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »
I think Rafa has more chances against Delpo than if he were to face Djokovic....

I agree, Djokovic has Nadal's number on hards but not by much.
The announcers said Nadal is at top level without a doubt and as good as he's ever been.

DelPo's advantage will be his mental strength, he doesn't give up.
He just came back from a set down to Murray and Djokovic on hards.  :king:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »
Spot on Sir Swish.  The key to Juan Martin's victory was his variety and mixing pace.  This is how Djokovic can get beaten. Not that it always works, but I believe it is the best chance one has. Djokovic usually eats up consistent pace, even if it is very fast. But mix in some slow stuff and then pound it, and it discombobulates Nole. And you have to hit to the right spots on the court. You can't go too wide on the forehand, Nole loves hooking, slapping from outside the court. No, when he is on the run to his forehand side, better to go about 2 meters inside the line, but deep, and many times Novak will put it in the net.  Now on Nole's backhand side, better in general to hit with more angle and good pace so he can't use his up the line shot. Then there is a good chance that Nole will hit it out.  But those winning shots have to be set up with off pace stuff, the lower the better.  Then occasionally, Del Potro mixed it up by going toe to toe with Nole and just pounding forehands with him, and Del Potro got the better of him more than not.

Federer used to have this strategy all the time, but lately he seems to be fixated on trying to outhit Nole from the baseline too much, without giving enough off pace lower bouncing shots, and varying the depth of the slices.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
DelPo's advantage will be his mental strength, he doesn't give up.
:

Neither does Rafa....  who also happens to have lots of mental strength....   
Hope its a worth watching match