Author Topic: Predict-A-Match Thread for Chat, management, questions, etc.  (Read 992 times)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
Predict-A-Match Thread for Chat, management, questions, etc.
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
Welcome Welcome! This is the thread where you can chat about topics generally relating to Predict-a-Match, ask questions concerning rules or tournaments, and discuss the rankings.

Also, if I happen to be unavailable for a specific tournament, here is where I will warn you about it, and we can discuss who can manage for that week(s).

:))

Here is our Predict-A-Winner mascot, the flying rhinoceros.

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
Re: Predict-A-Match Thread for Chat, management, questions, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
You should rename the section to Predict-A-Match  :)~

Also, check yo PM!
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
You should rename the section to Predict-A-Match  :)~

Also, check yo PM!

I'll have to ask Scott

I did reply to my PM  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:17:33 PM »
 :)) :))

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:41:59 AM »
Itís snowing like crazy where I am now

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-saturn-east-midwest-west

I may lose power. Guys, check your PM  :)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:09:30 PM »
It seems that it is too easy to predict the amount of time of a match. Therefore I think the number of points awarded for predicting the time of a match within 10 minutes should be changed from 6 to 4. Anyone else agree?

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
It seems that it is too easy to predict the amount of time of a match. Therefore I think the number of points awarded for predicting the time of a match within 10 minutes should be changed from 6 to 4. Anyone else agree?

I think it's easy in the earlier rounds when a top player is playing a bowl, but it's pretty damn difficult in later rounds. Maybe 4 for rounds before the QF, and QF on it's 6? :dunno:

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

You could of course also change the "window", say people has to get the time right within 10% instead of 10 minutes (rounded down to nearest minute). For a short match of 1h15 that means you have to be within 7 minutes, but for a long on of 2h25min you have 14 minutes to play with.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

I think it's easy in the earlier rounds when a top player is playing a bowl, but it's pretty damn difficult in later rounds. Maybe 4 for rounds before the QF, and QF on it's 6? :dunno:

Well people would forget  :Confused:

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »

You could of course also change the "window", say people has to get the time right within 10% instead of 10 minutes (rounded down to nearest minute). For a short match of 1h15 that means you have to be within 7 minutes, but for a long on of 2h25min you have 14 minutes to play with.

That would be very complicated and  :dunno: It would cause some complications based on the digit you round to.

Also, it's difficult to know which matches are long and which are short. I will just change it to 5 points, it's the simplest.

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Well people would forget  :Confused:

What's that assumption based off of?  :confused1:

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »

That would be very complicated and  :dunno: It would cause some complications based on the digit you round to.

Also, it's difficult to know which matches are long and which are short. I will just change it to 5 points, it's the simplest.

You do as you like, but I don't see what is complicated. Examples:

Tip 55 min. So 5 minutes is the limit and you win if the match lasts between 50 and 60 minutes.
Tip 1h15 min, or 75 minutes. So 7 minutes is the limit and you win if the match lasts between 68 and 82 minutes
Tip 2h35 min, or 155 minutes. So 15 minutes the limit and you win if it lasts between 140 and 170 minutes.

Is that too complicated?

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

Tip 55 min. So 5 minutes is the limit and you win if the match lasts between 50 and 60 minutes.
Tip 1h15 min, or 75 minutes. So 7 minutes is the limit and you win if the match lasts between 68 and 82 minutes
Tip 2h35 min, or 155 minutes. So 15 minutes the limit and you win if it lasts between 140 and 170 minutes.

Is that too complicated?

:confused1: You don't round up from 0.5?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea and I see your point. I think it's too early to change so much now on. Maybe we can implement it after Miami?

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »

Is that too complicated?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea and I see your point. I think it's too early to change so much now on. Maybe we can implement it after Miami?

No, as I said I round down anyway, easiest to manage. So 59 is rounded down to 5 leaving 54-64 the target. From 60 you get 6 or 54-66, so picking something ending with "9" will never be beneficial  ;-()

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »

Is that too complicated?

No, as I said I round down anyway, easiest to manage. So 59 is rounded down to 5 leaving 54-64 the target. From 60 you get 6 or 54-66, so picking something ending with "9" will never be beneficial  ;-()

Litotes, I am still considering that rule. It would be hugely helpful for Grand Slam matches  :)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
Next tournament will be Madrid. Just to give you an early notice  ;-()

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:37 AM »
Litotes, I am still considering that rule. It would be hugely helpful for Grand Slam matches  :)

Yes, picking the correct time in a BO5 is something else from a BO3. Of course, everything else will be more difficult too, except final set score.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »

Yes, picking the correct time in a BO5 is something else from a BO3. Of course, everything else will be more difficult too, except final set score.

The French Open has an unlimited score in the 5th set, don't forget Isner-Mathieu  :cool:

I might also replace predicting breaks of serve by "# of total aces rounded by 5"