Author Topic: How Many Weeks at #1 is Worth One Slam?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: How Many Weeks at #1 is Worth One Slam?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
Weeks at number one mean very little to me.  Slam wins is the biggie.
that's because you've never had a week at #1. On the other hand you haven't won a slam either ... hm, what was I trying to say here?  :har-har: :wicked:

Alex, why did you chase Emma away?   :rofl_2:
What can I say? I gave her all of my love, but she was so vain and pretentious. She has bigger ego than the GOAT Tomic himself. the only problem is she has never won anything in her life. If you dare to disagree with her, it's like 'God help you' ... If you think like her, she loves you, if you disagree and challenge her, she hates you. I still love her, and miss her. She'll be back ... maybe if Scott changes this board to 'Murray4you'   :rofl_2: ...

EMMA COME BACK, I LOVE YA  :lust:

Could be she doesn't care much.
Or now knows she won't be left alone like the rest of the posters.
Maybe tired of the game.

It's good she's gone, tired of the back and forth crap.  :rofl_2:
I expected more courage from her instead of just running away ... but whatever

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
that's because you've never had a week at #1. On the other hand you haven't won a slam either ... hm, what was I trying to say here?  :har-har: :wicked:

What can I say? I gave her all of my love, but she was so vain and pretentious. She has bigger ego than the GOAT Tomic himself. the only problem is she has never won anything in her life. If you dare to disagree with her, it's like 'God help you' ... If you think like her, she loves you, if you disagree and challenge her, she hates you. I still love her, and miss her. She'll be back ... maybe if Scott changes this board to 'Murray4you'   :rofl_2: ...

Maybe tired of the game.

Don't worry about it, people can be replaced easily, you may like them but it's only because you know them.
Remember that General!!!!!!!!

:crying:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »

Maybe tired of the game.

Don't worry about it, people can be replaced easily, you may like them but it's only because you know them.

I'm not sure why Shank left. I don't understand people who get so sensitive about little things. It's a tennis board for God's sake. I could stop posting if I'm too busy with work, life etc but never because something said something to me.

I've been surrounded by Fed/Rafa fans (as an only Nole fan) here for over 6 years and I'm still alive and kicking  :rofl_2:. I love goofing around but get along with everyone pretty well. I tried to label Lady Dallas as a biggest Fedtard in the Universe ... I said so many evil things about Fed to get under her skin, but she just laughed and brushed me off .

Darn, I need to try harder  :gleam:. Dallas, do you think that Mirka would let Fed wear some pink panties to go with his pink shoes/laces  :ice cream:?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »

Maybe tired of the game.

I'm not sure why Shank left. I don't understand people who get so sensitive about little things. It's a tennis board for God's sake. I could stop posting if I'm too busy with work, life etc but never because something said something to me.

I've been surrounded by Fed/Rafa fans (as an only Nole fan) here for over 6 years and I'm still alive and kicking  :rofl_2: . I love goofing around but get along with everyone pretty well. I tried to label Lady Dallas as a biggest Fedtard in the Universe ... I said so many evil things about Fed to get under her skin, but she just laughed and brushed me off .

Darn, I need to try harder  :gleam: . Dallas, do you think that Mirka would let Fed wear some pink panties to go with his pink shoes/laces  :ice cream: ?

Shanks is posting at tennis warehouse, he's still defending Nadal.
Waste of time, Nadal has to find what it takes to be a man first.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »
Well, I have no answer.
As it turns out, the more I looked into it the more 'other' variables started to appear.
In other words, it got complex quickly.

If anyone has a flash of brilliance put it down here.  :bang-head:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:54 AM »
Kudos for the effort Sir Swish.  I think you're right.  It might be worth a challenge to some of the stats gurus in various forums, but one would think that they will reach a similar conclusion.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Kudos for the effort Sir Swish.  I think you're right.  It might be worth a challenge to some of the stats gurus in various forums, but one would think that they will reach a similar conclusion.

Respectfully,
masterclass

I think they would be baffled, not by the stats but the judgement calls that have to be made.

Those jusgement calls could and would be challenged along the way, eventually getting in arguements and getting nowhere.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
This was interesting! I started pulling numbers for the past greats but then masterclass did the same. For the record Pete had 286 weeks for 14 slams, so about 20 weeks per slam. I think Wilander and Becker REALLY screw the curve with their high slam counts for relatively few weeks at #1. And I think those odd balls will always skew the curve. And we can easily think of this happening in today's day and age. I can easily see Del Potro winning 3-4 grand slams in the current field over the next 2-3 years YET having never reached number 1. Almost like Pat Rafter. What would you call Del Potro in the long run then? Was he better or worse than someone like Hewitt who had fewer slams but more weeks at #1? Or do you think Del Potro would rather have 20 weeks at #1 and only 2 slams vs. 4 slams and no weeks at #1 ?

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
It's fairly easy to calculate which players are more successful at slams and which are more successful at being #1s. After all, in a year we have 52 weeks and 4 slams. The natural thing is to have 52/4 = 13 weeks pr slam. Which means both Federer and Sampras, the most prolific slam-winners, actually were better at being #1 than winning slams. Djokovic is about even for now. Nadal obviously better at slams. 

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:28 AM »
It's fairly easy to calculate which players are more successful at slams and which are more successful at being #1s. After all, in a year we have 52 weeks and 4 slams. The natural thing is to have 52/4 = 13 weeks pr slam. Which means both Federer and Sampras, the most prolific slam-winners, actually were better at being #1 than winning slams. Djokovic is about even for now. Nadal obviously better at slams.

Yes, Sir Markus, that is a very simple calendar division, and when you separate the two figures, it is easy to make the resulting comparison to each player's weeks at #1/slam to that.  But that 13 weeks has nothing to do with weeks at #1.  It is simply how many calendar weeks per slam. Also, it's worth noting that the current calendar/slam weeks is nowhere near evenly divided (13):

AO to RG ~= 19 weeks
RG to WC ~= 4 weeks
WC to USO ~= 9 weeks
USO to AO ~= 20 weeks

The combination of winning the US Open and the Australian Open are worth 3 times as many calendar weeks as the combo of Roland Garros and Wimbledon! 

It is an interesting comparison, but I don't believe that was Sir Swish's question. He was trying to equate the two stats. How many slam wins = weeks at #1?

Mostly I believe that domination over time gives you more weeks at number 1. When someone is not the dominator, or when there is no domination among the players, then it is much more difficult to get many weeks at #1, and many times one gets none, even if one wins 2 majors.

Secondly, being #1 in a 52 week period is not solely dependent on amount of majors won. Just last year, Roger Federer held #1 for 17 weeks while only holding 1 major in the period (Wimbledon 2012).  Novak Djokovic held 2 majors up to the 2012 US Open, and was not #1.  In the period between Wimbledon 2012 and the US Open 2012, Federer's one slam was worth 7 or 8 weeks, and Djokovic's 2 slams were worth 0 weeks.  But by the end of the year, Djokovic got back to #1, while holding only 1 major and still holds it.

I don't think you can equate the two stats, it's like trying to equate oranges and tangerines.

1. Slam wins are the top result of an individual tournament. 

2. Weeks at #1 is based on cumulative results of all tournaments played during a rolling 52 week time period and obviously include slam results during that time.  Since slam results are worth twice as many points as any one tournament (exc. WTF), they influence the cumulative results the most compared to the other tournaments, but not to the exclusion of the totality of other results.

Even if slams were the only tournaments of the year, you couldn't equate slam wins to weeks at #1.

Player A could lose in the final in all majors and have 4800 points for the year.
Player B could have 2 QF at the AO and RG, and then win Wimbledon and the US Open and have 4720 for the year.
Player A would be #1 at the end of the year with 0 majors and Player B would have 2 wins in the majors and 0 weeks at #1.

Now this isn't Sir Swish's question, but which player, A or B, would you say is the best player at the end of the year?  :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
How Many Weeks at #1 is Worth One Slam?

NONE

Nole is no1 untill the rankings say other wise.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »
How Many Weeks at #1 is Worth One Slam?

NONE

Nole is no1 untill the rankings say other wise.

There has to be a number but the problem is everyones overall record changes what that number would be for each player.
There may be a way around it, but it hasn't been found.
When and if it's found then fans of certain players who come out on the short end will have reasons it isn't right.

But these complaints will help and bring up new issues that have to be addressed.

It's all good.  :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
I've been surrounded by Fed/Rafa fans (as an only Nole fan) here for over 6 years and I'm still alive and kicking  :rofl_2:. I love goofing around but get along with everyone pretty well. I tried to label Lady Dallas as a biggest Fedtard in the Universe ... I said so many evil things about Fed to get under her skin, but she just laughed and brushed me off .

Darn, I need to try harder  :gleam:. Dallas, do you think that Mirka would let Fed wear some pink panties to go with his pink shoes/laces  :ice cream:?

At least he would be matching! :)~ :rofl_2: