Author Topic: ATP/WTA SONY OPEN TENNIS, MIAMI (3/18-31, 2013)  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: ATP/WTA SONY OPEN TENNIS, MIAMI (3/18-31, 2013)
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
When 2 of the fittest players on tour finish a match playing fatigued and timid, start questioning the direction of the sport.

In a best of 3 sets tournament.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »
Andy Roddick: Conditions too slow...Guys dying playing 3 sets. So slow. Makes it impossible to hit winners which results in messed up winners/errors ratio

Andy Roddick: I've seen everything now.... David ferrer cramping. I thought they would find Hoffa first
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
ATP/WTA SONY OPEN TENNIS, MIAMI (3/18-31, 2013)
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
Andy Roddick: Conditions too slow...Guys dying playing 3 sets. So slow. Makes it impossible to hit winners which results in messed up winners/errors ratio

Andy Roddick: I've seen everything now.... David ferrer cramping. I thought they would find Hoffa first
ha!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
congrats to murray and all his fans.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
Congrats to Sid, although he did nothing  :)). It was a decent match.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
where the hell is sid general alex.

you should see his new amazing super sig. it is unbelievable.

I wonder if sid saw the match.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:31 AM »
where the hell is sid general alex.

you should see his new amazing super sig. it is unbelievable.

I wonder if sid saw the match.
not so sure general. If he was busy with work I assume he recorded the match.

your sigs are amazing btw  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »
Gotta love those 30 shot rallies, because the 2 fittest players on tour can't play a lick of tennis to finish a best of 3 sets match!!

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I was thinking the same thing.   :rofl_2:

But Murray "held on" even though they both looked totally drained at the end.  And this was a 'best-of-3-set' win!  Wow...I'd hate to see them play a 5 setter!  But anyway... Congratulations to Murray for winning the tournament and for capturing the #2 ranking again.  I'm sure Sid is happy now! :))

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »
Thank you folks on Murray's win for the congrats & a big thank you to Hurc on the amazing super sig :)  top Job.Can't belive what some have said on Murray :confused1:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
Thank you folks on Murray's win for the congrats & a big thank you to Hurc on the amazing super sig :)  top Job.Can't belive what some have said on Murray :confused1:
you need to have a female person in your sig  :)).

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »

I have a wife & have been happily Married for many years Alex :)) Maybe you should think on the same lines Alex,now where is Emma :hysterical:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

I have a wife & have been happily Married for many years Alex :)) Maybe you should think on the same lines Alex,now where is Emma :hysterical:
darn, just when I thought I had forgotten all about her, you are bringing her back. you just ruined my day  :))

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »

darn, just when I thought I had forgotten all about her, you are bringing her back. you just ruined my day  :))

Alex you know it will make your day if Emma was to log on,you could always be the gent & send her some :daisies: :wub:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
Steve Tignor of Tennis Magazine's ringing endorsement of Sunday's final. Seriously, it's an endorsement!

By most of the ways in which we measure quality in this sport, the menís final, between Andy Murray and David Ferrer, didnít offer a whole lot of it. Each made more errors than winners, and neither could hold onto serveóMurray was broken six times, Ferrer eight. That shouldnít be too surprising, since each made less than 60 percent of his first serves. Murray also hurt his cause by throwing in seven double faults against just two aces. Even their vaunted stamina broke down. Ferrer cramped, while Murray spent much of the war-of-attrition third set wobbling like a punch-drunk fighter, unable to bring his body to a stop when a rally ended.

A thing of beauty it was not. All of that said, I enjoyed this strained mishmash of vulnerability and cussedness from start to finish. Ferrer, seemingly a morning man all the way, bounded through the first set and hit his forehand with more depth, spin and purpose than usual. But Murray, while he never found his best stuff for long, did find a way wear the Indefatigable One down and slow his early momentum just enough. By the end of the second set, Little Beast Ferrer was, of all things, weary. By the end of the third, his legs were in full rebellion.

(Aside: I thought Murray was right to complain about Ferrer getting his legs rubbed on changeovers; if cramping is a loss of conditioning, which it is, treatment for it should be banned as well. Or was there another issue, other than cramps, at play with Ferrer there?)

On one level, Murray was lucky to win this one; the wind went out of Ferrerís sails after his blown challenge. I also donít think you can credit Muzzís vaunted, and sometimes invisible, new post-Lendl aggressiveness for the victory, either. But I do think there was a New Murray quality to it, nonetheless.

He was angry, he was tired, he was erratic, he served poorly, he almost threw in the towel. But he won anyway. Ivan Lendl was the gameís greatest overachiever. Andy Murray, on this day, followed in his mentorís footsteps not by cranking his forehand or intimidating his opponent. He did it by making the most of what he had, and, in the final tiebreaker, the most of what he had left.

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:

WTA fans must be thinking ATP fans live on a parallel universe. And they're right!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:12:19 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Steve Tignor of Tennis Magazine's ringing endorsement of Sunday's final. Seriously, it's an endorsement!

By most of the ways in which we measure quality in this sport, the menís final, between Andy Murray and David Ferrer, didnít offer a whole lot of it. Each made more errors than winners, and neither could hold onto serveóMurray was broken six times, Ferrer eight. That shouldnít be too surprising, since each made less than 60 percent of his first serves. Murray also hurt his cause by throwing in seven double faults against just two aces. Even their vaunted stamina broke down. Ferrer cramped, while Murray spent much of the war-of-attrition third set wobbling like a punch-drunk fighter, unable to bring his body to a stop when a rally ended.

A thing of beauty it was not. All of that said, I enjoyed this strained mishmash of vulnerability and cussedness from start to finish. Ferrer, seemingly a morning man all the way, bounded through the first set and hit his forehand with more depth, spin and purpose than usual. But Murray, while he never found his best stuff for long, did find a way wear the Indefatigable One down and slow his early momentum just enough. By the end of the second set, Little Beast Ferrer was, of all things, weary. By the end of the third, his legs were in full rebellion.

(Aside: I thought Murray was right to complain about Ferrer getting his legs rubbed on changeovers; if cramping is a loss of conditioning, which it is, treatment for it should be banned as well. Or was there another issue, other than cramps, at play with Ferrer there?)

On one level, Murray was lucky to win this one; the wind went out of Ferrerís sails after his blown challenge. I also donít think you can credit Muzzís vaunted, and sometimes invisible, new post-Lendl aggressiveness for the victory, either. But I do think there was a New Murray quality to it, nonetheless.

He was angry, he was tired, he was erratic, he served poorly, he almost threw in the towel. But he won anyway. Ivan Lendl was the gameís greatest overachiever. Andy Murray, on this day, followed in his mentorís footsteps not by cranking his forehand or intimidating his opponent. He did it by making the most of what he had, and, in the final tiebreaker, the most of what he had left.

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:

WTA fans must be thinking ATP fans live on a parallel universe. And they're right!
who are the WTA fans? keep me posted when something interesting happens  :)~

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
I haven't been able to indulge my tennis watching much these last few months, and for IW & Miami the time difference didn't help.

I did however manage to catch up on some matches.  What a treat to see Haas playing his superb game again. His match against Djokovic was inspirational. What a pity he ran out of steam. There was some excellent tennis from Gasquet too.

And congratulations to Murray for winning the title. He was clearly not playing his best game here,  but still won it & deserves to be congratulated for his focus & determination in coming back from a set down to win. Congratulations to him too for attaining the number 2 ranking. I'm looking forward to seeing how he'll do in the rest of the season.

Ferrer's game has never been an eye catching one for me, but his work ethic is admirable.  I think he's won the most matches of the top players this season to date - and should take heart from getting to the final at Miami. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:39:44 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem