Author Topic: Live ATP Rankings  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
Re: Live ATP Rankings
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:05 AM »
you must be an expert in Excel to create a live rankings spreadsheet  ://  How did you master Excel ?

I self taught myself building macros using Visual Basic. There's many things google can answer with the right keyword searches. It helped knowing another programming language in order to create equivalence. ;-()

Formulas was something I previously knew how to do since I used them in highschool a lot. :)

Offline tennisville

• Tennis Player
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 04:59:26 AM »
What are the chances you think the players have of finishing the year no 1 ? Is it true that someone has to dominate the field to take the YE ranking from Djokovic

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:38:48 AM »
Well, Djokovic is many points ahead. The main chance here is to have Nole be eliminated before the final, so it must be someone outside the Top 4 that must defeat Nole at tournaments to stop him from being YE #1. It doesn't have to be a dominant player, just someone to prevent him from defending his points, making him less consistent than last year.

Chances come the following:

Djokovic can and probably will be YE #1.
Murray has a chance to be YE #1 provided he defends everything from last year and gains a few of the wins Djokovic had. Wimbledon might be a bonus.
Nadal also has a great chance at YE #1 provided he comes out unscratched from the clay season, as the rest of the season has him nothing to defend.

That's about it. One of these 3 will be YE #1. I don't think anyone else has a chance.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »
These charts are fantastic!  Keep up the good work! :thumbs-up:

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
Well, Djokovic is many points ahead. The main chance here is to have Nole be eliminated before the final, so it must be someone outside the Top 4 that must defeat Nole at tournaments to stop him from being YE #1. It doesn't have to be a dominant player, just someone to prevent him from defending his points, making him less consistent than last year.

Murray has a chance to be YE #1 provided he defends everything from last year and gains a few of the wins Djokovic had. Wimbledon might be a bonus.
Nadal also has a great chance at YE #1 provided he comes out unscratched from the clay season, as the rest of the season has him nothing to defend.

That's about it. One of these 3 will be YE #1. I don't think anyone else has a chance.

What if he wins RG and Wimby?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »
great work general slasher.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »

What if he wins RG and Wimby?
Rafa winning RG will not get him any points because he is defending his title. Sorry. don't want to teach you how rankings work but try to read about it. Nadal winning Wimbledon would get him closer to Djokovic, but he'll need to do much more than that to anywhere near #1. well, unless Novak somehow loses in R1 of both RG and W it's not happening.

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »
If Rafa does the same as last year on clay, and wins Wimbledon, he has a chance at second place, although it's highly unlikely (Murray is probably gonna be second). The most probable difference to Djokovic's points would be around 3500 points.

If Rafa does better on clay than last year and wins Wimbledon, he will be second and will close in at about 2500 points to Djokovic.

Even if Djokovic fails to defend all of his clay points by not participating in any tournament, he will remain first before Wimbledon, and by defending his SF there, has a great chance of remaining first after it. This with the condition of winning Miami of course.

Offline tennisville

• Tennis Player
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
now that he has lost in Miami early , what are teh chances for the no 1 ranking  :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 12:01:54 AM »
Tennisville....love your signature! :))

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:19 AM »
now that he has lost in Miami early , what are teh chances for the no 1 ranking  :)~

Well, if we take out every point they defend into Wimbledon, we get something like:

Djokovic: 9070
Murray: 6010
Ferrer: 4630
Nadal: 1705

Scenario with Murray finalist everywhere, Nole, Ferrer SFs and Nadal winning everything on clay but with Murray winning Miami:
Djokovic 9070
Murray 6830
Ferrer: 4870 max
Nadal 2205

Monte Carlo (Nadal wins, Murray finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 9430
Murray 7430
Ferrer: 5230 max
Nadal 3205

Madrid (Nadal wins, Murray finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 9790
Murray 8030
Ferrer: 5590 max
Nadal 4205

Rome (Nadal wins, Murray finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 10150
Murray 8630
Ferrer: 5950 max
Nadal 5205

RG (Nadal wins, Murray finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 10870
Murray 9830
Nadal 7205
Ferrer: 6670 max

Wimbledon (Nadal wins, Murray finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 11590
Murray 11030
Nadal 9205
Ferrer: 7390 max

Wimbledon (Murray wins, Nole finalist, Nadal, Ferrer SF)
Djokovic 12070
Murray 11830
Nadal 7925

Wimbledon (Murray wins, Nadal finalist, Nole, Ferrer SF)
Murray 11830
Djokovic 11590
Nadal 8405

This is about the worst case plausible scenario for Nole (no finals anywhere on clay and SF at Wimbledon), and as you can see, it's still extremely hard for him to lose the number 1 position, and even if he does, Murray will likely take it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:28:15 AM by Slasher1985 »

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 01:49:36 AM »
And if Federer comes back from his 2 months off rejuvenated and plays very well and defends his 3 titles (Madrid, Wimbledon, Cincinatti)?

Something like this:

8715 : current
0000 : Madrid - W
0000 : Rome -  SF
+480 : RG - F
-150 : Halle - doesn't play
0000 : Wimbledon - W
-450 : Olympics - F points dropped
+360 : Rogers Cup (Montreal) - SF
0000 : Cincinnati - W
+840 : US Open - F
------
9795  Post US Open

That might be enough points to put him at #2, depending on how Rafa and Andy do.  Rafa gains points if he plays better at Madrid and Wimbledon and does well following that, especially at the US Open.  And then he can only gain points in the fall. I notice he has nothing scheduled between Wimbledon and the US Open.  He might jump on the clay again, instead of Montreal and Cincy.

Murray can gain points if he does better on clay than in last few years, if he can manage to win Wimbledon and do well in the summer hard court series including the US Open.

Djokovic has been far ahead, but he doesn't need more losses like in Miami where he drops 910 points to 12,270.  If he can play well on clay and at least defend his points, he'll be hard to catch at #1. But he has a lot of points to defend post Wimbledon to the end of the year. He'll have to be extremely consistent to do so, and I'm not happy with his somewhat erratic play of late (does well one set, then loses focus).  I think he could use a break somewhere along the line.

Ferrer can hang in there, and even if he is second in the race now, I think it is going to be tough for him to stay there once the big tournaments come around unless the top 4 falter.

Del Potro can continue to make headway if he doesn't overplay.  He has an opportunity to gain points on clay and he may put in a surprise good showing at Wimbledon if he plays like he did at the Olympics.

This is tennis. Anything can happen.  If Federer isn't rejuvenated by his break and continues to do relatively poorly, he could drop out of the top 4 for sure.  Nadal could be super energized and confident and go on to win the rest of the majors as he did in 2010.  If Murray can't improve on clay, then I think it will be tough for him to advance more, but if he does improve, watch out.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline JayR

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 04:06:17 AM »
This is an incredible undertaking on your part Slasher and quite clearly a labour of love. Thank you so much for all the future time and effort you will be putting in in order to maintain them and offering everybody the chance to see exactly what is happening.  :king:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
Slasher I admire your passion for this thing considering there's already a site that automatically updates the rankings. http://live-tennis.eu/

Well done  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
Slasher I admire your passion for this thing considering there's already a site that automatically updates the rankings. http://live-tennis.eu/

Well done  ;-()

Marv's is better though  ;-() ;-()
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline tennisville

• Tennis Player
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »
Slashers one is better you know  :cool:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
well said lady ann.

labour of love is exactly what it is.

he does this to make the forum more fun. and above all, he does it because he loves this sport.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Wow! I am still amazed how each ranking is updated almost immediately. Do you have some kind of program to make the list? because it seems like doing this manually would take days.

I have stopped looking at the ATP rankings altogether and I am just looking at Slasher's list  :)

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words, especially general CD.

I don't know if this is better than the ATP lol (I do verify against it each Monday). And I cannot predict most of ATP 500 penalties to players because that rule is unpredictable. But I am sure that this is better than that site Lugburz mentioned because I take into account Futures level events.

@Orange Wombat. The system is automatic and is done in our friend, Excel. Check the OP if you want to get the full file and notice all the details. That file is macro free though, so you won't be able to see how it actually works, but it's better than nothing. :king:

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 02:52:06 AM »
Right now, at my usual Monday comparison, I'm detecting that Marc Giner is actually 154, which makes my table correct, and ATP wrong. Hope they correct their error on the site. :rofl_2: