Author Topic: Live ATP Race  (Read 2457 times)

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
Re: Live ATP Race
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:36 AM »
i don't understand too much the difference between ranking and race too, is it that the race starts from the beginning of the year and ends at the end of the year and points will be awarded to the real rankings?

anyway, thank you so much Marian for your great work.  I really think you should use your tennis knowledge to earn a living, at least for part-time  :king:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:13:49 AM by mimi »

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
The race is a cut rankings.

It's like this. After WTF consider what it would mean for players to restart from 0. That is the race. A way to tell how players have performed between two year End Championships in a row. The race starts immediately after the YEC. Any Futures tournament played during WTC is considered part of the next year. Any Challenger played during WTC is considered part of this year. The rankings at the end of the YEC are equal to the race of the year and are called Year End Rankings. After that, Race is reset, but rankings continue unchanged.

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
The race is a cut rankings.

It's like this. After WTF consider what it would mean for players to restart from 0. That is the race. A way to tell how players have performed between two year End Championships in a row. The race starts immediately after the YEC. Any Futures tournament played during WTC is considered part of the next year. Any Challenger played during WTC is considered part of this year. The rankings at the end of the YEC are equal to the race of the year and are called Year End Rankings. After that, Race is reset, but rankings continue unchanged.

sorry for my foolish brain, how could it be the rankings and race be equalled?  I supposed the ones who play more tourneys, not necessarily be winning, would be the one leading in rankings?  So there is a high possibiility that the no.1 in race would not be the top 4 since they don't play that much?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »
Mimi, I'll try to explain. Rankings go in 52 weeks circle, the race starts at the beginning of the year. However, at the end of the year, both rankings and the race are equal because points from the rankings keep dropping as the season moves on, but you keep gaining points in the race.

so whatever you 'earned' in rankings last year (talking about points), you are losing this year, but you gain points in the race based on your results this year. 

so race = rankings at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:24:43 AM by Alex »

Offline Slasher1985

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 01:25:24 AM »
Alex explained this pretty well. Basically, the race is the rankings equivalent of one single year, at the end of which, the two must be equal because they use the same system. :)

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »
thank  you Alex and Marian  :king: