Author Topic: The Upsets Bandwagon  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
The Upsets Bandwagon
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
 :harp:

Today I decided I was tired of the Big 4 winning everything. I'm also tired of the Second 4 constantly folding against the Big 4.

I used to be a big fan of Federer, and to a lesser extent a fan of Djokovic. I still like watching them play,  but I always root for them to get upset.

Am I the only one who thinks this? Am I the only one who thinks it would be awesome if a relatively unknown but talented guy like Santiago Giraldo or Tim Smyczek or Igor Sijsling, etc made a Grand Slam semifinals? I doubt it.

Let the upsets begin  :)

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
Re: The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
I've been in this ever since I started watching tennis  :cool:
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
I've been in this ever since I started watching tennis  :cool:

:)) Too bad it hasnít payed off for you yet

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
On the Upset Radar (from a scale of  to 10 with Rosol d Nadal being a 9 and Gasquet d Berdych being a 1)

Kamke def Del Potro 7-6 7-1. Iíll give this a 7.5

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
It's more of a 6 imho. Del Po usually can't play more than 2 good weeks in a row  :)~

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
It's more of a 6 imho. Del Po usually can't play more than 2 good weeks in a row  :)~

:)>>>>

It seems that way, he gets worn down at times. I should have known that but didn't think about it much really. So with that in mind I don't feel to bad about my player.

I read he's having problems with his right wrist, last week it was his left.  :rofl_2:

Anyways it was surprising he lost but Kamke played a very nice match and deserves the best win of his career.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

Today I decided I was tired of the Big 4 winning everything. I'm also tired of the Second 4 constantly folding against the Big 4.

I used to be a big fan of Federer, and to a lesser extent a fan of Djokovic. I still like watching them play,  but I always root for them to get upset.

Am I the only one who thinks this? Am I the only one who thinks it would be awesome if a relatively unknown but talented guy like Santiago Giraldo or Tim Smyczek or Igor Sijsling, etc made a Grand Slam semifinals? I doubt it.

you are onto something here. everything is getting so predictable. I don't know what I want any more. I've chosen Nole when he was a nobody, then he's turned out to be a monster ... I need to find another 'nobody'  :gleam:.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
No upset for Tomic this time  :( .

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »

you are onto something here. everything is getting so predictable. I don't know what I want any more. I've chosen Nole when he was a nobody, then he's turned out to be a monster ... I need to find another 'nobody'  :gleam:.

How about Tomic Alex :whistle:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »
I don't mind the same players winning everything.  If they were not that good - then other players need to step up and beat them.  I actually think it helps tennis to have dominate players.  Even people outside of tennis have heard of the 'big 4'.  If every Tom/Dick/Harry starts winning...then people would complain against that too (see WTA a couple of years ago when no one knew who was winning what tournament) :rofl_2:

So...if an upset happens - it happens...but I'm not particularly going to root for it. (especially against my Federer...that will never happen)!  I'll always root for Roger.  I absolutely loved those years where he dominated tennis.  For me - those were the best years every!!!!! :))

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
Re: Re: The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
I don't mind the same players winning everything.  If they were not that good - then other players need to step up and beat them.  I actually think it helps tennis to have dominate players.  Even people outside of tennis have heard of the 'big 4'.  If every Tom/Dick/Harry starts winning...then people would complain against that too (see WTA a couple of years ago when no one knew who was winning what tournament) :rofl_2:

So...if an upset happens - it happens...but I'm not particularly going to root for it. (especially against my Federer...that will never happen)!  I'll always root for Roger.  I absolutely loved those years where he dominated tennis.  For me - those were the best years every!!!!! :))

I would actually love to have players I've never heard of winning tournaments! It opens up a whole new part of the game.

No one is denying that the top 4 deserve to dominate, but it'd be a lot less boring/predictable if some new faces pulled through :))

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »
Yes (you are the only one).

Very few people at T4U follow tennis, they simply follow their heroes, who are ranked 1,2,3 or 4. If you don't start a thread with either (1) the names Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, or Murray in the title, or (2) leading questions that prompt discussion about those 4 players, then it doesn't exist. Some of us have tried for years to grow interest in other players but invariably, those threads get hijacked by fanboys of the Big 4 or die after 5 or 6 replies. By contrast, a new thread about Federer or Nadal that has already been created in one form or another at least 20 times can go on for weeks and pages.

And (for me) to come here and read that anyone at T4U not named Babblelot, monstertruck, or BGT finds this thread remotely interesting is not being honest because you are relatively new.

So, yes, you pretty much are alone, here. At least among the old guard.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »

Very few people at T4U follow tennis, they simply follow their heroes, who are ranked 1,2,3 or 4. If you don't start a thread with either (1) the names Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, or Murray in the title, or (2) leading questions that prompt discussion about those 4 players, then it doesn't exist. Some of us have tried for years to grow interest in other players but invariably, those threads get hijacked by fanboys of the Big 4 or die after 5 or 6 replies. By contrast, a new thread about Federer or Nadal that has already been created in one form or another at least 20 times can go on for weeks and pages.

And (for me) to come here and read that anyone at T4U not named Babblelot, monstertruck, or BGT finds this thread remotely interesting is not being honest because you are relatively new.

Babs, I get your point, but it is what it is. when I've picked Nole as my favorite player, I didn't know he was gonna be #1, a multiple slam winner etc. I just liked his personality so much (remind you I like crazy people, including you  :)~). I've loved the way Djokovic's moving. So what to do now, I stuck with the world #1 as my favorite player. Am I cursed or happy  :rofl_2:? I'm not so sure.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:04 AM »
Nole UPSET! :lol-cry:

Maybe there's hope for Tomic one of these days. ..-)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
Oooh...wish I had stayed up to see that match  :))

Upset Radar Tommy Haas def Novak Djokovic 6-2 6-4. I'll give that an 8.

Interestingly, this is the same score Novak won with against Devvarman  :scared:

Simon better not make the semifinals now, that would be terrible for tennis  :mad1:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »
Oooh...wish I had stayed up to see that match  :))

Upset Radar Tommy Haas def Novak Djokovic 6-2 6-4. I'll give that an 8.

Interestingly, this is the same score Novak won with against Devvarman  :scared:

Simon better not make the semifinals now, that would be terrible for tennis  :mad1:

Nahh it wasn't upset, Tommy was just 'goating' around  :)~
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »
 I'm a fan of upsets myself,  just not on Nadal :)  but I like a lot of players who are outside of the top 10.  Gasquet, Haas,  Querrey, Nishikori,  etc. I  love when big upsets happen,  again as long as it's not against Nadal. And to babblelot, as Alex was to Djokovic, I was a fan of Nadal way back when he was strictly a clay court player and hardly ever won anything else.  And I've stuck by him through all the injuries and everything.  And I also was a huge fan of Roddick despite him having only one slam.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »
Would Haas beating Ferrer be considered an upset? I don't think so.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

How about Tomic Alex :whistle:
well, what  can I say? I love him. He has a great attitude, well behaved young man. If I ever had a son I want him to NOT that stupid brat. Can't stand him. :whistle:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »

Babs, I get your point, but it is what it is. when I've picked Nole as my favorite player, I didn't know he was gonna be #1, a multiple slam winner etc. I just liked his personality so much (remind you I like crazy people, including you  :)~). I've loved the way Djokovic's moving. So what to do now, I stuck with the world #1 as my favorite player. Am I cursed or happy  :rofl_2:? I'm not so sure.

That's what you get with babblelot,he loves nothing better than to start a ruck with people.Alex you & i were both fans of Nole or Murray when thay were (Ranked) outside the top 100 or more like 300 or 400.One day it would be like a breath of fresh air if he'd talk tennis than to mouth off @ people.Bab's do me a favore don't talk with me & i won't reply to what you say,all you want to do is argue all the time.