Author Topic: The Upsets Bandwagon  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
Re: The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
Wimbledon R64: [Q] Larcher de Brito def. [3] Sharapova 6-3, 6-4

I give it a 9. Yes, we saw last year Sharapova can go out early but Lisicki was known to be an excellent grasscourter. So a massive upset. But given that even the top players tend to have occasional upset losses, I don't quite give a 10, I give a 9.

To be fair, Sharapova was slightly injured.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Wimbledon R64: Stakhovsky def. [3] Federer 6-7, 7-6, 7-5, 7-6

I'll give it a 10+. You just didn't expect that. After an impressive R128 match against Hanescu, you could expect nothing but a win from Fed. He just doesn't lose R64 matches at slams. Well, definitely not at Wimbledon. But today it happened. The QF streak has ended. It's ended at Wimbledon, on Fed's best surface. Just a massive upset.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »

I'll give it a 10+. You just didn't expect that. After an impressive R128 match against Hanescu, you could expect nothing but a win from Fed. He just doesn't lose R64 matches at slams. Well, definitely not at Wimbledon. But today it happened. The QF streak has ended. It's ended at Wimbledon, on Fed's best surface. Just a massive upset.

Fed's the most consistent performer at slams of all time.

On the other hand he can't winning forever so had to lose.

Still I thought he would win down to the last point.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »

I thought if he had won the 4th set - he was going to win the match.  But to  Stakhovsky's credit...he held it together.  Stakhovsky said: "I'm in disbelief that it happened.  I was playing my best tennis I ever played and it almost wasn't enough to be Roger.  I'm incredibly happy."

So it took someone playing their best tennis ever to beat him.  Congrats to Stakhovsky.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »

Massive indeed.
I fully expected Fed to cruise through to week 2 comfortable in the knowledge that Nadal would not be the one to deny him another GS title.  Looks like it only took an aggressive, attacking player to do the trick. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

Massive indeed.
I fully expected Fed to cruise through to week 2 comfortable in the knowledge that Nadal would not be the one to deny him another GS title.  Looks like it only took an aggressive, attacking player to do the trick. ;-()

In general he loses slams to the more aggressive/attacking player. Berdych USO 2012, Tsonga Wimbledon 2011, Tsonga at the French. Watching Stakhovski attack the net even in the tie-break in the fourth set, committed to bring the game to Roger at the net, was super impressive. Of course had he lost we'd be talking about how serve and volley has no place in today's game and he was a fool to attack the net all the time. Remember Roddick also took up the approach after hiring Connors in 2006/2007 and had some success but never when it mattered.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »

Massive indeed.

In general he loses slams to the more aggressive/attacking player. Berdych USO 2012, Tsonga Wimbledon 2011, Tsonga at the French. Watching Stakhovski attack the net even in the tie-break in the fourth set, committed to bring the game to Roger at the net, was super impressive. Of course had he lost we'd be talking about how serve and volley has no place in today's game and he was a fool to attack the net all the time. Remember Roddick also took up the approach after hiring Connors in 2006/2007 and had some success but never when it mattered.
Super Impressive indeed!
However, I think comparing Roddick's late career change in tactics to Stakhovski's more natural ability is a bit of a stretch.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »
very cool thread.

:)) :))

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »

I thought if he had won the 4th set - he was going to win the match.  But to  Stakhovsky's credit...he held it together.  Stakhovsky said: "I'm in disbelief that it happened.  I was playing my best tennis I ever played and it almost wasn't enough to be Roger.  I'm incredibly happy."

So it took someone playing their best tennis ever to beat him.  Congrats to Stakhovsky.

So is that how you are comforting yourself now?  :rofl_2:

Ohh Dallas.  :)~
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

Massive indeed.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, Pawan. He has lost to players like Nadal, Murray and Nole many, many times. In short, he loses to all sorts of players whoever is able to take it to him.
You are everything I am not.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »

Massive indeed.

Actually, Fed had tight five-setters against Haas at RG '09 and Benneteau at Wim '12 in the days after Nadal's losses. Maybe he had extra pressure to win as his most difficult opponent Nadal was out.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »
Actually, Fed had tight five-setters against Haas at RG '09 and Benneteau at Wim '12 in the days after Nadal's losses. Maybe he had extra pressure to win as his most difficult opponent Nadal was out.

That + Staks played one of the best matches in ATP history from a statistical standpoint.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

Massive indeed.

Super Impressive indeed!
However, I think comparing Roddick's late career change in tactics to Stakhovski's more natural ability is a bit of a stretch.

Great point, monster. Connors was trying to turn a square into a circle. And even at that, Pawan, Roddick had massive though short-lived success reaching the US Open final for only the 2nd time and first time since he won in 2003.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »

Massive indeed.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, Pawan. He has lost to players like Nadal, Murray and Nole many, many times. In short, he loses to all sorts of players whoever is able to take it to him.

Beat me to it, Emma.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »

Massive indeed.

Super Impressive indeed!

Great point, monster. Connors was trying to turn a square into a circle. And even at that, Pawan, Roddick had massive though short-lived success reaching the US Open final for only the 2nd time and first time since he won in 2003.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
We are left to speculate what he might have achieved if he moved more naturally into the forecourt and at the net.  OK, I'm done. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »

So is that how you are comforting yourself now?  :rofl_2:

Ohh Dallas.  :)~

Hey, I have to do something to keep me uplifted! So there.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
Wimbledon R16: [23] Lisicki def. [11] S. Williams 6-2, 1-6, 6-4

I'll give it a 7. Knowing that Sabine is very dangerous on grass, it came down to if she can keep her level up for the entire match. If she could, she could win the match. And that happened. But given Serena's form since last year's Wimbledon, it was an upset. I might give an 8 but I'm such a big Sabine fan that I give only a 7. I.e. not an upset, the result was NID.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:03:16 AM by August »

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »
Delightful upset  :))

I'll give it a 6. I was kind of expecting this based on Sabine's previous matches.

Now can Sabine win Wimbledon?  :scared:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
The Upsets Bandwagon
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
Delightful upset  :))

I'll give it a 6. I was kind of expecting this based on Sabine's previous matches.

Now can Sabine win Wimbledon?  :scared:

The way this tournament has been going, she'll lose next round! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
I think Wimbledon 2013 can be nicknamed the "Upsets Bandwagon"

I'll be cheering for Berdych and Janowicz to take out Djokovic and Murray just so we can have stick Wimbledon with that label.