Poll

Is ATP slowly turning into WTA? (aka is tennis becoming one-dimensional?

Yes
6 (60%)
No
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Is ATP slowly turning into WTA?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: Is ATP slowly turning into WTA?
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
People, this is not about serve and volley at all...its about variety generated from the back of the court.

So, what you're saying is that you want S&V, 3 shot points?! That's what you want then, huh? That's sooooo boring! S&V-3 shot rallies is dead and there's no going back!!!!

Huh? Why did you quote me? I was not even referring to what I want. people are mistaking variety for SnV and I am correcting them. Stupid babbsy  :)~

So, let me get this straight generalissimo falcon. What you are saying right here is that you want tennis to return to the forlorn years of S&V, 3 shot points?! That's what you really want; turn back the clocks! That's sooooo boring! S&V-3 shot rallies is dead, generalissimo, and there's no going back now!!!! 1000 mph baby!!! 1000 mph!!!
[/size][/b]

[/quote]

I don't want anything you bubble head. I prefer clay and clay does not encourage SnV. I don't mind the grind from the back of the court. Now do you want be to make this all bold so that it enters your wooden head?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
falcon, he's being sarcastic...

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
 :)) :))

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
 :)~

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
Hey Hercs hows the beer business in the castle?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
lady falcon you better get your sorry ass over to the castle. so we can talk some tennis.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:09:52 PM by Clay Death »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
a few thoughts/comments:

1) top 4 might still be top 4 but what about margins. we have people like berdych, tsonga, gasquet, dpot pulling off a few upsets, would different circumstances give them a few titles? that would at the very least make the competition or the race in the rankings up top a little more interesting. not sure about the math but the way it's been now for the last couple years it was unfathomable that the top 4 would ever fall off the top 4 even if all they did was make the quarters of every event just by consistency alone and it took Nadal a loss on all his points and no play time for a good chunk of the season to drop to.. number 5.

2) Is babs going crazy? I try to avoid complicated questions but sometimes they enter my mind and I have to ask.

3) does anyone know about racquet technology itself and it's impacts? i should research it, but how much has that had an impact? not the strings but the racquets themselves.  Where's DMAST when you need him. Monstertruck can you go to his house and bring him back since you're neighbors? thanks! :) what's the difference between Wilson's "nano" technology and "karbon" technology, is it just marketing and all the magic happens in the strings? Do Sharapova's Big O's make her more aggressive and scream louder? I am talking about those O-holes in her racquet.. I think I am digging myself deeper into a hole here.

4) herc what is this castle everyone speaks of

5) freakyman, surface homogenization paper would be an interesting read if you are ever in the mood to share :)

6) as Bab keeps mentioning, there are a handful of players who are the prime examples of what we are all complaining about.

6a) Do any of the younger players making noise right now fit the mould of the players that are the cause of this thread? Apart from Tomic, I don't think any of the younger players who are making the news seem to fall into a grinder-category. That's interesting because by my own logic, the younger players should all have been trying to work their butts off learning to last for 6 hours and hit one more backhand and forehand than the person across the net. Gulbis Jerzy Raonic Dimitrov Goffin all seem to build their headlines on more aspects than grinder-like consistency. Is that a good thing for the future for us complainers in this thread? Or is that more indication that they won't be successful until they suck it up and become mini-ferrer-machines (or mega-ferrer machines given he's pretty tiny).

6b) is Babs just going crazy or has he always been crazy?

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
a few thoughts/comments:

1) top 4 might still be top 4 but what about margins. we have people like berdych, tsonga, gasquet, dpot pulling off a few upsets, would different circumstances give them a few titles? that would at the very least make the competition or the race in the rankings up top a little more interesting. not sure about the math but the way it's been now for the last couple years it was unfathomable that the top 4 would ever fall off the top 4 even if all they did was make the quarters of every event just by consistency alone and it took Nadal a loss on all his points and no play time for a good chunk of the season to drop to.. number 5.

2) Is babs going crazy? I try to avoid complicated questions but sometimes they enter my mind and I have to ask.

3) does anyone know about racquet technology itself and it's impacts? i should research it, but how much has that had an impact? not the strings but the racquets themselves.  Where's DMAST when you need him. Monstertruck can you go to his house and bring him back since you're neighbors? thanks! :) what's the difference between Wilson's "nano" technology and "karbon" technology, is it just marketing and all the magic happens in the strings? Do Sharapova's Big O's make her more aggressive and scream louder? I am talking about those O-holes in her racquet.. I think I am digging myself deeper into a hole here.

5) freakyman, surface homogenization paper would be an interesting read if you are ever in the mood to share :)

6) as Bab keeps mentioning, there are a handful of players who are the prime examples of what we are all complaining about.

6a) Do any of the younger players making noise right now fit the mould of the players that are the cause of this thread? Apart from Tomic, I don't think any of the younger players who are making the news seem to fall into a grinder-category. That's interesting because by my own logic, the younger players should all have been trying to work their butts off learning to last for 6 hours and hit one more backhand and forehand than the person across the net. Gulbis Jerzy Raonic Dimitrov Goffin all seem to build their headlines on more aspects than grinder-like consistency. Is that a good thing for the future for us complainers in this thread? Or is that more indication that they won't be successful until they suck it up and become mini-ferrer-machines (or mega-ferrer machines given he's pretty tiny).

too many questions, but I'll try to answer some.
Top 4 do get upset here and there but they keep winning. Forget about Tsonga, Berdych ... I love them but they can't really win important tournaments.
Tomic is an idiot.
Dimitrov tries too hard to be Fed. No, he is not. I still laugh when he choked against Nole, and Nole was half asleep, playing really bad. 4 DF in one game. Good job Dimitrov. keep s**tting your pants.
Raonic, love his serve and net play but there are so many things he needs to improve in his game. I don't even know where to start.
Jan, sorry another idiot with a big mouth.

Alex is an idiot too btw  :))

and finally, Babs is crazy. I don't have a problem with it  :ice cream:.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
a few thoughts/comments:

stop by the castle at the chat section and find out mate.

we have been expecting you anyway.

see you there. :)) :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2013, 05:53:46 AM »
Without DMast you are left with my limited expertice on the tech side of things. :paper bag:

Will mull it over today let ya know what I think later today.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
Without DMast you are left with my limited expertice on the tech side of things. :paper bag:

limited is a relative word buddy, my mind is too limited to fathom the limits of of your 'limited' expertise :P

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
 :)) :)) :)) :))

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »

limited is a relative word buddy, my mind is too limited to fathom the limits of of your 'limited' expertise :P

PM him! I'm sure he'd be happy to answer your inquiry, dude!

Technology = strings is prolly what he'll tell you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:55:29 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
why did Dmas stop posting? I can't remember what or who pissed him off. I know there was something. My brain is not really working today :whistle:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
your brain is never working when you are thinking of emma.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Is ATP slowly turning into WTA?
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
why did Dmas stop posting? I can't remember what or who pissed him off. I know there was something. My brain is not really working today :whistle:

He tried to mix US politics with tennis. So did Pacer. Those threads were toxic. These two didn't survive. I think we all are a lot worse off for the experience. Fortunately, those days are long gone.

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »

He tried to mix US politics with tennis. So did Pacer. Those threads were toxic. These two didn't survive. I think we all are a lot worse off for the experience. Fortunately, those days are long gone.

Pacer was a fool.

Dmastous got mad at Babb's for labeling him a racist if I remember right.

Dmastous was a good poster for the most part and knowlegeable in tennis.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »
Is it strange that I enjoyed what both of those members had to offer?
Pacer for the advanced players point of view.
DMast for his teaching experience, equipment knowledge, and general love of the game.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention he was a pretty decent club player.

It seems to me that while the number of members and posts may have increased, the overall quality of tennis discussion has dropped dramatically.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
Is it strange that I enjoyed what both of those members had to offer?
Pacer for the advanced players point of view.
DMast for his teaching experience, equipment knowledge, and general love of the game.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention he was a pretty decent club player.

It seems to me that while the number of members and posts may have increased, the overall quality of tennis discussion has dropped dramatically.

Yeah, I don't recall said toxic threads.. there might have been some threads in the other discussions involving politics and such that I generally stayed out of but their posts around tennis were fantastic. If I recall correctly Pacer had even played or tried to play some futures tournaments, he was probably one of the better active players we have had on the boards. And Dmast had a ton of technical knowledge that I know I used to love reading about. I certainly miss them.