Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

There is a light at the end of the tunnel Part II: Best of 3 Sets

(1/26) > >>

Babblelot:
Do you know what tennis will be like without Rafa, Murray, Ferrer, Simon, and Monfils? Tennis without the soap opera during points.

I'm here to formally make amends with today's players for having thrown them all under the bus for the sins of a handful of bad apples.

I will be proven right that this era of "last man standing" tennis will pass sooner than you think but not necessarily for the tweaks I've mentioned. This era will pass when these guys haven't the legs and lungs any longer.

falcon:
Babbs, I get what you are saying here but that's what everyone thought after Sampras, Guga and the likes retired and then we had a brand new set of players who took tennis rivalry to an all new level. I expect that for a few years after these guys retire it will be a period of lull only to see good set of players (with variety) coming in.

Babblelot:
I don't expect there to be a lull at all. To me, we've just hit the lull.

Can't get the job done at a major in 4 hours = lull.

Babblelot:
Alex, I exclude Nole despite being a major offender. With Nole, ping-pong on steroids isn't his M.O. He's just versatile and fit enough to play it whereas the others are not: ping-pong on steroids is their M.O. They don't have options, therefore Nole gets lulled into "survival of the fittest" tennis.

falcon:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on April 02, 2013, 11:49:45 PM ---Alex, I exclude Nole despite being a major offender. With Nole, ping-pong on steroids isn't his M.O. He's just versatile and fit enough to play it whereas the others are not: ping-pong on steroids is their M.O. They don't have options, therefore Nole gets lulled into "survival of the fittest" tennis.

--- End quote ---

Then  by this argument, Murray can be excused too, no? As Hercs makes a point, there is no scope for variety when the balls are coming in at those speeds. Its just not possible to slice from the back of the court unless the opponent gives room for it. If you want to win, you've got to play the game the others are playing albeit at a higher level and consistency. That's what Nole did and that's what gave him his titles and ranking. Fed is a completely diff player and I agree with you that he has been remarkably doing well at his age. That said, Fed is still a tremendously fit player and his stamina is such that he could give the young ones a run for their money. Its his stamina that keeps him alive in 5 set matches, along with his variety. So again, stamina and endurance matters just the same. You've still got to do all the retrieving to win matches and when you are retrieving so much, variety takes a backseat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version