Author Topic: There is a light at the end of the tunnel Part II: Best of 3 Sets  (Read 3578 times)

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
Re: There is a light at the end of the tunnel Part II: Best of 3 Sets
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
If you want to "fix" Wimbledon; you have to restrict matches on center court...no doubles and minimum single in order to preserve the surface better. If the grass it's change back to what it was, the bad bounces by the time weak #2 hit will be unbearable and their will be even less grass left since the previous mix was softer and not as durable.

I complained about that right on the first day of Wimbledon. In the first two days they added a women's match to CC as there was time for it. Come on, they had scheduled three matches on CC, that should be enough for the crowd even the matches were short. I could understand if they needed to get those matches played that day, but that wasn't the issue there, they could've played those matches on outside courts.

The same on the 1st Saturday, the OOP for C1 was to complete one WTA match's final set, then two ATP matches before Serena v. Date-Krumm. They knew at 7pm that Serena's match can't be finished on that court, Ferru-Dolgo was yet to be finished. They could've put Serena's match on the televised Court 18 at 7pm. But no, they had it under CC's lights at 9pm. So one more match for CC.

And on the 2nd week they had legend's doubles on CC. :facepalm: They crowd should be happy with two QF/SF matches. Legends matches are very meaningless, AELTC should rather preserve the grass.

About doubles on CC. I think finals should be played there. There are other ways that I explained to preserve the grass, at least a little bit. Nowadays CC's grass has more play than ever because there aren't rain delays thanks to the roof.

In short, have only three matches in a day on CC until R4. Starting from QFs have only two matches, except for the 2nd Saturday when there are the doubles finals. And add matches to CC only when it's necessary to get the round finished in time, e.g. because of rain delays on outside courts.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:35 AM »
Edberg, who had five spells at the top of the world rankings in the early 1990s, believes Murray's rivalry with fellow 26-year-old Djokovic - and several other high-ranked players - will help the sport flourish.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
There is no disputing the fact that the ball bounces higher on todays grass (Wimby) than it did 15 years ago.

You know something is terribly wrong when players can hit awesome kickers on the grass (see Sabine).

I can understand folks didn't like the short points when the big servers where dominant.  HOWEVER, I'll argue that the grass is what allowed their games to shine.

Slowing the grass and increasing the height of the bounce would be like changing clay so the bounce is lower and the points are shorter in order to hinder the grinders of today.

Had to laugh when early in the final, after a 20 shot rally, JMac said 'better get ready for more points like that today, they're going to be grinding out there'.

I say, let the grinders have the clay, let the attackers have the grass, and let the all-courters dominate the hards.  Don't go tinkering with the surfaces.   

Variety my Peoples, Variety.  That's what makes the great rivalries and beautiful tennis.

I'd really love to see more variety on the top of the game. It's sad that the finalists even in the fastest slam succeed because of their excellent defensive abilities instead of playing offensive tennis. That could be forgiven if Wimby's grass wasn't slowed down, you could then just say that their defense is too good even on the fastest surfaces. But now there's the speculation of how good they would be on really fast surfaces that hardly exist on the ATP tour anymore.

I'd love to see Wimbledon speeded up so much that it would favour offensive abilities over defensive abilities. If '90s grass would lead to acefests, the court speed could be somewhere between 2010s and 1990s.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
There is no disputing the fact that the ball bounces higher on todays grass (Wimby) than it did 15 years ago.

You know something is terribly wrong when players can hit awesome kickers on the grass (see Sabine).

I can understand folks didn't like the short points when the big servers where dominant.  HOWEVER, I'll argue that the grass is what allowed their games to shine.

Slowing the grass and increasing the height of the bounce would be like changing clay so the bounce is lower and the points are shorter in order to hinder the grinders of today.

Had to laugh when early in the final, after a 20 shot rally, JMac said 'better get ready for more points like that today, they're going to be grinding out there'.

I say, let the grinders have the clay, let the attackers have the grass, and let the all-courters dominate the hards.  Don't go tinkering with the surfaces.   

Variety my Peoples, Variety.  That's what makes the great rivalries and beautiful tennis.

Variety will bring more players with specific talents into the later rounds, right now those players are left out in the cold and so we have predictable outcomes.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
I don't mind seeing having some conservative players on the tour.
Let me rephrase that, I think there 'needs' to be some conservative players on tour.  They are the ones that can punish attackers and all-court players for hitting out a bit too much.  A few 20-30 shot rallies per set are great, but when it goes over 30% of the points it becomes a bit tedious for me.  It's not my cup of tea.

On topic-  personally I like best of 5 at the slams.
I couldn't care less what they play the rest of the time.
I consider the remainder of the tour nothing more than a tune up for each of the slams.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
MT define 'conservative tennis' pls? I want some names.