Author Topic: How's Djokovic's Ankle?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: How's Djokovic's Ankle?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »
Djokovic wants the MC title, it'll send a message for RG.

The changing of the clay king may be this year.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
I wouldn't bank on it. That one year Djoker won both Madrid and Rome in straight sets, but still couldn't take Nadal at the French, and Nadal reclaimed Rome in 2012 and won Roland Garros again. Monte Carlo is simply Nadal's tournament. 8 in a row is ridiculous. Madrid has always been a bit of a question mark for whatever reason. But to gain the title of Clay King, Djoker would have to beat Nadal at least in two of the Masters tourneys and at Roland Garros, and I really don't see that happening.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
I wouldn't bank on it. That one year Djoker won both Madrid and Rome in straight sets, but still couldn't take Nadal at the French, and Nadal reclaimed Rome in 2012 and won Roland Garros again. Monte Carlo is simply Nadal's tournament. 8 in a row is ridiculous. Madrid has always been a bit of a question mark for whatever reason. But to gain the title of Clay King, Djoker would have to beat Nadal at least in two of the Masters tourneys and at Roland Garros, and I really don't see that happening.

Nadal may take awhile to get back into his best form, he's not there yet.

But I think two clay masters and RG is what I would call king of clay too, at least for the year.  :king:

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

Three wins to gain the title of clay king? I don't agree entirely...Federer managed to be clay king in 2009 with just one victory over Nadal. Not a representative year, but still, you never know how this season will play out before it's done. Nadal and Djokovic could conceivably win all big titles without running into each other on every occasion, and even if they do and split their meetings 2-2 then the king will be whoever won RG.

This is of course for the "active" clay king title, we both agree for the career one there will be no changing of the guard in the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:26:34 PM by Litotes »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
Since this thread has moved on, lets keep it rolling.
Here's the  CLAY BEASTS :scared:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
Djokovic wants the MC title, it'll send a message for RG.

The changing of the clay king may be this year.
I don't think Djokovic cares about MC at all. Novak didn't even give a s**t about IW or Miami. He didn't have to. He is managing his points, staying at #1 very well. what he really wants is RG. and whoever said Nadal wasn't 100%, please ... Nadal looks great IMHO.

It seems that Nole's ankle will be fine with some rest btw. Call me paranoid but both Nole and Rafa are playing some huge head games before RG. RG is all that it matters to both of them  :Confused:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »

Nadal may take awhile to get back into his best form, he's not there yet.

But I think two clay masters and RG is what I would call king of clay too, at least for the year.  :king:

Watch his last two or three IW matches. He's back into his best form.

Three wins to gain the title of clay king? I don't agree entirely...Federer managed to be clay king in 2009 with just one victory over Nadal. Not a representative year, but still, you never know how this season will play out before it's done. Nadal and Djokovic could conceivably win all big titles without running into each other on every occasion, and even if they do and split their meetings 2-2 then the king will be whoever won RG.

This is of course for the "active" clay king title, we both agree for the career one there will be no changing of the guard in the foreseeable future.

I never considered Federer to be the clay king, even though he did win RG in 2009. To be clay king, I'd have to say you need to beat Nadal at a master's event and at RG.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »

I never considered Federer to be the clay king, even though he did win RG in 2009. To be clay king, I'd have to say you need to beat Nadal at a master's event and at RG.

That's harsh demands to say the least. So if Nadal loses every tournament to different players each time none if them will be clay king even if one should win every title? You can't use a person as standard, you have to go with results. Me, I've watched tennis since the 80s. Since the Masters concept were introduced in 1990 It has always been so that if you 1) Win RG, 2) Win a clay masters and 3) is the person who accumulated most ranking points from the clay season, then you're declared clay king. So Nadal has been clay king 2005-08 and 2010-12, Federer 2009, nobody 2004, Fererro 2003, nobody 2002, Kuerten 2000-01, nobody 1999, Moya 1998, nobody 1996-7, Muster 1995, nobody 1994, Bruguera 1993, Courier 1992, nobody 1990-91.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:34 AM »
Okay. If Nadal loses all four events, then the person who wins RG would be clay king. It's really a difference in how we look at it that's causing the disagreement. You look at it as who is clay king this year. I look at it more like there is a reigning clay king who must be dethroned. Nadal is the reigning clay king, and if he lost all four tourneys, no matter who it was who beat him each time, he would be dethroned. In which case, the winner of RG would be the new clay king. But if Nadal wins RG and at least one of the three Masters titles, I would say he keeps his status as clay king.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:05 AM »
Okay. If Nadal loses all four events, then the person who wins RG would be clay king. It's really a difference in how we look at it that's causing the disagreement. You look at it as who is clay king this year. I look at it more like there is a reigning clay king who must be dethroned. Nadal is the reigning clay king, and if he lost all four tourneys, no matter who it was who beat him each time, he would be dethroned. In which case, the winner of RG would be the new clay king. But if Nadal wins RG and at least one of the three Masters titles, I would say he keeps his status as clay king.

The way I see it, reigning clay king is always dethroned if someone else wins RG, a clay masters and collects more points from the clay season. You don't need to beat him personally. Certainy not several times. I don't think any reigning clay king from my list has ever lost three times on clay to the same opponent next year.

I'm trying to have a general view here, not arguing on behalf of either Nadal or Federer. Going back before 2005, it was quite common for noone to be in more than two finals, and beating the best from last year would not necessarily get you much success in itself.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:07 AM »
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I just look at it a different way.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:28 AM »
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I just look at it a different way.

How is you historic progression, then? I assume you would admit to Muster being clay king in 1995. Who followed him and how long were their reigns?

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:14 AM »
Honestly, I don't really know. I'm only 21, so I didn't really get into watching tennis until the early-to-mid 2000's.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
I see. Which was the first tournament/match you can remember watching? For me, Wimbledon 1980, final Borg - McEnroe. I was seven at the time, so didn't understand all that much of it. But I've kept watching since. Not all that much the first years afterwards, though.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 03:40:18 AM »
I watched some random Roddick matches when I was around 11 or 12, back in '03. Back then, though, I would always just cheer for him because he was American and never really knew what was actually going on. When I actually started truly following tennis and cheering for all sorts of different players was the '07 US Open.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:07 AM »
Roddick was hot stuff in 2003, no wonder you cheered for him. Good thing you didn't feel obliged to stick with your countrymen :) I enjoy seeing Norwegian athletes myself, being a Norwegian, but I am by no means dependent upon them to have someone to cheer for. As luck would have it. Would you believe, in 33 years I've only ever seen one Norwegian player enter the top-100....he made 39 at best. and never won a single ATP tournament, not even a small one. This was in the mid-90s.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 03:55:08 AM »
That is quite unfortunate. It looks like Americans are destined for a similar fate for a while at least. Isner has been awful since he came back from his injury, making way too many errors. And Querrey doesn't seem to have the heart and determination to go for long matches, and he's pretty inconsistent. I do still cheer for all Americans during the Davis Cup and Olympics, and I would like to see an American rise to the top soon. But it will be hard to cheer for anyone against Rafa in the non-country related tournaments, even if they are American.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 05:32:36 AM »
Well, you've got few tests of "loyalty" lately. I checked Nadal's record against US players. He met Harrison in R1 IW. Last meeting before that was Kuznetsov AO 12 R1. Last time he met someone outside of R1 was Fish in Tokyo 2011 and WFT 2011. 

It's really odd for me who's been watching tennis for so long to have no US player good enough to even be considered as an outsider in any slam. Also strange to have no Swedes. I remember in the early 80s they dominated. I remember a slam, unsure which one, there were 33 US players in the 2nd round, and 10 Swedes, leaving just 21 spots to the rest of the world. Can it last? Or will the US strike back soon? I guess we will see. Things have a tendency to go in waves.

I'm not optimistic on behalf of Norway. I see no signs we will find anyone to challenge even the modest record of our 90s player, Ruud. But I guess stranger things have happened before. If someone told me 10 years ago we would presently have the world's strongest Chess player I wouldn't have believed them.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 07:29:49 AM »
My personal experience with ankle sprains is that once it's torn it never fully heals and is susceptible to repeated injury.  At least that's what the Doc told me.
No wonder most of these guys tape up and wear supports on their ankles (thereby transferring the stress normally relieved at that joint to the knees and hips).
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
My personal experience with ankle sprains is that once it's torn it never fully heals and is susceptible to repeated injury.  At least that's what the Doc told me.
No wonder most of these guys tape up and wear supports on their ankles (thereby transferring the stress normally relieved at that joint to the knees and hips).
It happened to me twice, playing basketball. It hurt so much, I thought I was gonna die. I was young tho but still (I think I was 16/17 yo, can't remember). My doctor gave me some pain killers and told me to get a glass bottle and literally roll my foot over it. It did actually help but the pain was really unbearable. I wasn't able to go to school for almost 2 weeks.

as I said earlier, I don't understand how Djokovic can slide so much on HC at all. I just don't know what that man is made of.