Author Topic: Do left-handers naturally hit with more topspin?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
Re: Do left-handers naturally hit with more topspin?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

Rafael Nadal was in a similar situation. He is naturally a right-hander, believe it or not. Uncle Toni made him switch to left. Why? Probably because it would be more natural for him to get more spin on the ball lefty. When you have more control of your hand, your wrist is automatically more rigid, like it or not. Dull switched to left hand, allowing him to hit with loose wrist and generate insane amounts of topspin. And we all know Dull's game is based around topspin solely.

Now, left-handers have slightly less control over their dominant hand than right-handers do of their right hand. (In exchange of greater control of the other hand of course). Maybe something on the left side of the brain is responsible for these changes. Maybe not. Whatever. But it is possible that is natural for these lefties (Melzer, Nieminen, Falla, Bellucci, Klizan, Lopez, even Melzer's younger brother) to hit with a looser wrist, thus allowing more spin.

You comprehend?  :))

bab was right in pointing out the amount of failure in your post from a scientific point of view since you are trying to "bring" an observation that apparently only you can measure with the naked eye.

Exclude Nadal.........who hit with the most topspin in the game? I mean, revolutions per minute since I want to keep this at the basic "scientific" level without flying into wonderland with obnoxious simplifications.   As a matter of FACT......Nadal is not the only player in history that averages around 3200 RPM. Guess who is the other guy? A lefty?  Sure, Sergi Bruguera must be a lefty to CONFORM to your observation  :whistle:

Federer is not far behind Nadal and he is another righty. Most of the lefties you mentioned can't even touch Federer's average topspin one day a week; let alone on a regular basis.

Maybe, just maybe what your inept ability to interpret your own observation fails to identify is the TRAJECTORY of the ball.

The bold letters on your post above is yet greater evidence on your inability to understand tennis and the structural level. Take away Nadal spin and what do we got? How about you take away Roger's spin? tell me what you got left  ..-)        Take away Pete Sampras serve; JMac volleys and Borg's consistency as well while you are at it. Of course I don't debase all these great players solely  on one aspect of their game alone but I definitely understand that Michael Jordan without his athletic ability wouldn't be Michael Jordan...............figured out the rest for yourself. 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/01/sports/tennis/Speed-and-Spin-Nadals-Lethal-Forehand.html?_r=0

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
Exclude Nadal.........who hit with the most topspin in the game? I mean, revolutions per minute since I want to keep this at the basic "scientific" level without flying into wonderland with obnoxious simplifications.   As a matter of FACT......Nadal is not the only player in history that averages around 3200 RPM. Guess who is the other guy? A lefty?  Sure, Sergi Bruguera must be a lefty to CONFORM to your observation  :whistle:

He proves that it's the grip that determines spin, as he had such an extreme grip that he hit his forehand and backhand with the same side of the racquet.

Nevertheless, I do think that lefties tend to have extreme grips more often than righties. Whether that's from lack of teaching about lefty grips due to the dominant righty society, or the fact that some players aren't natural lefties yet play lefty I do not know.
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

He proves that it's the grip that determines spin, as he had such an extreme grip that he hit his forehand and backhand with the same side of the racquet.

Nevertheless, I do think that lefties tend to have extreme grips more often than righties. Whether that's from lack of teaching about lefty grips due to the dominant righty society, or the fact that some players aren't natural lefties yet play lefty I do not know.
yes, he assumes. that is one thing I agree with you. bud, think logically. left or right it doesn't matter. grrrr. I'm getting angry. It is simply not true. silly thread anyway. is your left eye seeing better than your right eye? is your right leg faster than your left leg?

Nadal is special, not because of being a lefty but because he has so many other skills. Did he win 11 slams because he is using his left hand to serve. please. I hope you get my point  :).

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
long time no see general huntingyou.

you better get your ass over to the castle and bring some friends along.

clay season is about to get going and we need to talk some clay.

:)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »

yes, he assumes. that is one thing I agree with you. bud, think logically. left or right it doesn't matter. grrrr. I'm getting angry. It is simply not true. silly thread anyway. is your left eye seeing better than your right eye? is your right leg faster than your left leg?

Nadal is special, not because of being a lefty but because he has so many other skills. Did he win 11 slams because he is using his left hand to serve. please. I hope you get my point  :) .

Being lefty helps on that there are not that many and the game is different for opposing players, so lefties have an advantage as they see righties all the time but not vice versa.

This is true in other sports too like the left handed batter in baseball.

But so what??
The player still has to be very good.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »
sorry guys, I'll try to make this very simple. left handed people eat their food with their left hand, right handed people eat their food by holding their spoon/fork in their right hand. this is so irrelevant. Now, Nadal is the one hitting with lots of topspin. Name one more 'left hander' who does the same thing?

Melzer, Nieminen, Falla, Bellucci, Klizan, Stebe, Ramos, Muller, Lopez, the list goes on and on. Not to the same extreme as Nadal, but all of them have a similar forehand based on a 'curving the ball with spin' rather than straightforward flat-hitting.

I know most players hit with a lot of spin, lefty or righty. But can you name one left-handed professional player that hits flat to the same level as guys like Cilic, Del Potro, Tsonga, Isner, and Simon? No. All of them topspin their forehands. The other answers gave me the conclusion that it must be a strategical advantage for lefties.

Melzer, Nieminen, Falla, Bellucci, etc.. never reached a slam final or #4 in the world. What advantage do they have over Rusedski???

Most of those guys (lefties) you mentioned grew up on clay, the others (righties) on faster surfaces.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:32:02 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 09:20:45 AM »
I don't think that's true of lefties; even if they do hit with more spin, how is that going to help you win matches? Personally I believe that spin is generated in the motion a split second after the ball hits the strings, by the way the arm is positioned and the movement of the arm after the ball has lifted, what is generally called follow through. The guys who have high spins have these two qualities regardless of whether they are lefties or not.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
I don't think that's true of lefties; even if they do hit with more spin, how is that going to help you win matches? Personally I believe that spin is generated in the motion a split second after the ball hits the strings, by the way the arm is positioned and the movement of the arm after the ball has lifted, what is generally called follow through. The guys who have high spins have these two qualities regardless of whether they are lefties or not.

You do know how Nadal wins matches, don't you?

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
sorry guys, I'll try to make this very simple. left handed people eat their food with their left hand, right handed people eat their food by holding their spoon/fork in their right hand. this is so irrelevant. Now, Nadal is the one hitting with lots of topspin. Name one more 'left hander' who does the same thing?

Melzer, Nieminen, Falla, Bellucci, Klizan, Stebe, Ramos, Muller, Lopez, the list goes on and on. Not to the same extreme as Nadal, but all of them have a similar forehand based on a 'curving the ball with spin' rather than straightforward flat-hitting.

I know most players hit with a lot of spin, lefty or righty. But can you name one left-handed professional player that hits flat to the same level as guys like Cilic, Del Potro, Tsonga, Isner, and Simon? No. All of them topspin their forehands. The other answers gave me the conclusion that it must be a strategical advantage for lefties.

Melzer, Nieminen, Falla, Bellucci, etc.. never reached a slam final or #4 in the world. What advantage do they have over Rusedski???

Most of those guys (lefties) you mentioned grew up on clay, the others (righties) on faster surfaces.

I can't see how Rusedski is relevant in this discussion  :confused1:

And Nieminen, Melzer, Lopez, and Muller all play their best on fast surfaces. Just because they hit with a lot of spin, doesn't mean they are clay courters.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
this should be good:

how does nadal win matches captain ow?

:)) :)) :))

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »
this should be good:

how does nadal win matches captain ow?

:)) :)) :))

There are only two elements of his game which are amazing- his insane topspin on his forehand, and his incredible athleticism. The topspin on his forehand really makes it difficult for opponents who don't take the ball early, and forces them behind the baseline. Also, it allows him to hit banana shots and incredible angles  :) That's how he wins matches.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
I think his greatest weapon has been his relentless will and his fitness.

now his fitness has taken a hit because he is lazy.

so we will see how he does it with suboptimal fitness.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »

I can't see how Rusedski is relevant in this discussion :confused1:

And Nieminen, Melzer, Lopez, and Muller all play their best on fast surfaces. Just because they hit with a lot of spin, doesn't mean they are clay courters.

Rusedski is the antidote to your anecdote.

Capisce?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:30 AM »
I think his greatest weapon has been his relentless will and his fitness.

now his fitness has taken a hit because he is lazy.

so we will see how he does it with suboptimal fitness.

Suboptimal fitness? Did you see him at Indian Wells?

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:44 AM »
Grip, swing shape & speed, string pattern/tension/ & composition are some of the factors that determine spin.  The first 3 can be done with either hand.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »

Of course he does but everyone at the professional level learns to handle spin. fed is not far behind in his spin records.

Let me ask you another question. Why do people like Lopez not win matches like Rafa?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Do left-handers naturally hit with more topspin?
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »

Of course he does but everyone at the professional level learns to handle spin. fed is not far behind in his spin records.

Let me ask you another question. Why do people like Lopez not win matches like Rafa?

Lol

:zipped:

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »

Is the title of the thread "Do left-handers naturally hit with more topspin which helps them win matches?" NO.

The point of the thread isn't to talk about how spin affects matches  ..-) ..-) ..-)

Capisce?

Is there an antidote that prevents you from insulting people and just typing out incoherent nonsense in lieu of using an actual argument? If there is, do use it immediately.
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »

I can't see how Rusedski is relevant in this discussion :confused1:

Capisce?

Speak English please :))

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »

Because Lopez has the athletic ability of a 70-year old  :confused1: