Author Topic: MONTE CARLO 2013 14-21 April  (Read 6270 times)

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: MONTE CARLO 2013 14-21 April
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
I think the most important fact for Djokovic besides winning was winning in 1:52. No 3-4 hour war that sabotages him for the rest of the claycourt season. Now he'll be fresh for Madrid/Rome/RG.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2013, 02:50:49 PM »
It was a good match. both players did well but when Djokovic is on it's really hard even for a player like Nadal. so tired here, stayed almost all night long to see this match. I didn't think Nole would win to be honest with you but he did ...

the funny thing is that Rafa basically destroys Fed by pounding his BH and now Nole is destroying Rafa's BH ... crazy stuff.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
It was a good match. both players did well but when Djokovic is on it's really hard even for a player like Nadal. so tired here, stayed almost all night long to see this match. I didn't think Nole would win to be honest with you but he did ...

the funny thing is that Rafa basically destroys Fed by pounding his BH and now Nole is destroying Rafa's BH ... crazy stuff.

Djokovic had that 2011 mental game going again, nothing bothered him and he just focused more and more when needed.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:03:21 PM by swish »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Wow. Well done Djokovic, didn't see this coming at all. He definitely got it done, impressive :) World number 1 and pretty much the best player anywhere against anyone at this point.

Let's not forget that Federer has also been up 5-1 or 4-0 or similar against Nadal in the first set and yet has often managed to lose that set. Djokovic really nailed it and then fighting the way he did in the second, impressive stuff. Nadal's only going to get better through the clay season but this win ought to do a ton of good for Djokovic :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
Nole takes out Rafa on clay.
With a suspect ankle.
Has the world gone mad?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
With a suspect ankle.
Has the world gone mad?
yo man. Djokovic played a brilant match. Now, he has all masters in his pocket except Cinci. crazy, eh. I'm sure he'll win Cinci one day too, maybe even this year  :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
With a suspect ankle.
Has the world gone mad?
yo man. Djokovic played a brilant match. Now, he has all masters in his pocket except Cinci. crazy, eh. I'm sure he'll win Cinci one day too, maybe even this year  :)
How can you be so sure? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
With a suspect ankle.
Has the world gone mad?
well, I'm not 100% sure, you never know but he played a couple of finals there already. He won Dubai, with all top players playing there a couple of time. Dubai is as fast as Cinci if not even faster.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
With a suspect ankle.
Has the world gone mad?

I wouldn't say his ankle was suspect at all. From when he first injured it, I doubted it would keep him out at all, and watching the final against Nadal, he ran around just as much as usual and never favored his ankle. I don't usually like to pick on Djoker because he seems to be a nice guy and a very respectful player, but I think he was taking a page out of younger Nole's book and giving himself a ready-made excuse before the tourney by playing up how bad his ankle was.

And I would say Rafa just needs more play time and he'll be back to his old self on clay. He just seemed less confident than usual. He played great, but when the pressure moments came, he sprayed errors all over the place. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is a lack of confidence, since he's usually extremely strong mentally. And the confidence will come with winning. If he wins either Madrid or Rome (beating Nole in the process), I wouldn't worry about him at RG at all. If he doesn't win either or he loses to Nole again, I'd be afraid of him playing Nole in RG.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
I saw Nole check his ankle several times in an earlier match.
Even if it's completely healed, he's still aware of it.
Interesting theory re: 'ready-made excuse'.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:50:35 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
I didn't watch his earlier matches, so he might have favored it earlier in the tourney, but I never saw him check it in the final or favor it in any way.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
I didn't watch his earlier matches, so he might have favored it earlier in the tourney, but I never saw him check it in the final or favor it in any way.
Well that's some good news for Nole.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »
A big difference was that Nole chose not to remain defensive. He stepped up and cracked winners or set up winners when all Rafa could do was get a racquet on the ball. Very aggressive tennis from Nole won the day.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »

With Djokovic skipping Barcelona he should definitely be ready to go at Rome.

A few weeks off at this time looks to be about perfect for tournaments leading up to RG and RG itself.

Nadal still playing though and it may be too much too soon for the guy.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »
A big difference was that Nole chose not to remain defensive. He stepped up and cracked winners or set up winners when all Rafa could do was get a racquet on the ball. Very aggressive tennis from Nole won the day.
Sweetness! :))
That apparently shortened up the points/games/sets/match.
Sounds almost bearable to watch. :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:55 AM »
Babs, you are absolutely right. Djokovic is simply not afraid of Nadal. some shots he hit were crazy. he plays on clay as if it was on HC and somehow it works. I just watched the match last night. Rafa tried hard but he was still passive.

Other players simply sh!t their pants when they play Nadal on clay. I'm not saying this as a Nole fan, but the Serb has huge balls. I wish some of these 'youngsters' would develop 'their balls'  :))

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
well, I'm not 100% sure, you never know but he played a couple of finals there already. He won Dubai, with all top players playing there a couple of time. Dubai is as fast as Cinci if not even faster.

What's really odd is that he has played 4 finals there, yet he's never won even a single set. That's just weird.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »

A few weeks off at this time looks to be about perfect for tournaments leading up to RG and RG itself.

Djokovic never played in Barcelona as far as I can remember. I think Rafa is being stupid playing there btw. what can he gain?

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
I agree. I don't think he should be playing in Barcelona. But I guess it could benefit him somewhat. From watching the final against Nole, his weak point at this point is his mental strength. Too many errors in pressure moments. The only way to try and fix that is match play.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »

Djokovic never played in Barcelona as far as I can remember. I think Rafa is being stupid playing there btw. what can he gain?

Clay season is always hard for Rafa. Reacing four finals in five weeks is much, and then there's only one week before RG. I'm not sure whether he'd play at Barcelona if he weren't a Spaniard. On the other hand, Barcelona is better preparation for RG than Madrid's high-altitude clay.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports