Tennis Discussions > Pro Player Forum

Ernests Gulbis Thread

<< < (3/3)

Lugburz:
Well sometimes its just those tricky draws in the early rounds.
Monfils has always been a dangerous player, when he is focused and determined.
He was driven by the crowd, he was enjoying his time on the court.
Even recording the crowd with his phone during the changeover  ..-)

So, I think in general Gulbis will come out stronger out of this match.
I kinda believe he thought this was a certain win, so maybe next time he'll be more 'focused'.

Swish:
Right now Gulbis' is trying the best he can I believe.
He was down 2-5, 0-40 with Monfils serving and got it to tiebrake in the third, to me that shows a lot about what his mindset is now.

He may have been tired some in the fourth, so while he works on that fitness area he should also progress in other areas.
It's only been this year he has been working hard, gave up the drinks and cigarettes.

With the kind of fitness the tour has these days it's hard to catch them.

Just generally, it's good to have another dangerous floater around, that's all I consider Gulbis right now till he shows more.

Swish:

--- Quote from: Lugburz on May 30, 2013, 10:17:44 AM ---Well sometimes its just those tricky draws in the early rounds.
Monfils has always been a dangerous player, when he is focused and determined.
He was driven by the crowd, he was enjoying his time on the court.
Even recording the crowd with his phone during the changeover  ..-)

So, I think in general Gulbis will come out stronger out of this match.
I kinda believe he thought this was a certain win, so maybe next time he'll be more 'focused'.

--- End quote ---

He's finding out what he needs to work on, I have a feeling he thought it may be easier than it has been.

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: swish on May 30, 2013, 12:12:57 PM ---Right now Gulbis' is trying the best he can I believe.
He was down 2-5, 0-40 with Monfils serving and got it to tiebrake in the third, to me that shows a lot about what his mindset is now.

He may have been tired some in the fourth, so while he works on that fitness area he should also progress in other areas.
It's only been this year he has been working hard, gave up the drinks and cigarettes.

With the kind of fitness the tour has these days it's hard to catch them.

Just generally, it's good to have another dangerous floater around, that's all I consider Gulbis right now till he shows more.

--- End quote ---

Swish:

Gulbis Hits The Mark On Break Points

Beware Ernests Gulbis when you are facing break point. The Latvian leads the ATP MatchFacts in break points converted this season, capitalising on 102 of 213 opportunities with a conversion rate of 48 per cent in 33 matches. 

Rafael Nadal has created 416 break point chances in 46 matches this season and is currently in third position with a 46 per cent conversion rate. He is behind Nikolay Davydenko, who has converted 94 of his 204 opportunities (46 per cent) in 33 matches this year.

Kei Nishikori (45 per cent) and Juan Monaco, Florian Mayer, Ivan Dodig, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, David Ferrer – all with 44 per cent - and Nicolas Almagro with 43 per cent make up the rest of the current Top 10.

World No. 38 Gulbis has enjoyed form resurgence this season, compiling a 24-12 match record. He shone in notable performances against Nadal at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and the Internationali BNL d’Italia in Rome, pushing the Spaniard to 7-5 and 6-4 in the third sets respectively. He created nine break points in the Rome contest, converting four of them.

Proving his credentials against the best in the world, Gulbis won five of his eight break points in a 6-2, 6-0 win over then-World No. 9 Janko Tipsarevic in Indian Wells, and in knocking out No. 7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon he broke serve three times from eight chances. Tsonga is third for service games won this season.
In his 10 years on tour, Gulbis is yet to finish in the Top 10 for break points converted. It is his most successful category so far this season, but he has also performed well on first serve points won, turning in a 77 per cent mark for the first seven months of the year – the sixth best score on the ATP World Tour. Milos Raonic leads that category with 80 per cent in 29 matches. Gulbis also ranks among the Top 10 (No. 10) for break points saved (67 per cent).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version