Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Replace Federer with Djokovic from 2005-2008 . . .

<< < (2/5) > >>

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2013, 03:07:07 AM ---Med, the way I see it is that Fed/Nadal is a horrible match up. I actually don't like their matches at all, except on grass. Nadal pounding Fed's BH, Fed making UE, so predictable ... I still can't believe that Fed simply didn't even try to change his game and adapt.

It's funny how Djokovic is exploiting Rafa's BH nowadays. nothing Rafa can do. I'm just rewatching the MC final.

--- End quote ---
Fear, arrogance, or a collossal error in judgement, who knows?

pawan89:

--- Quote from: monstertruck on April 22, 2013, 06:21:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2013, 03:07:07 AM ---Med, the way I see it is that Fed/Nadal is a horrible match up. I actually don't like their matches at all, except on grass. Nadal pounding Fed's BH, Fed making UE, so predictable ... I still can't believe that Fed simply didn't even try to change his game and adapt.

It's funny how Djokovic is exploiting Rafa's BH nowadays. nothing Rafa can do. I'm just rewatching the MC final.

--- End quote ---
Fear, arrogance, or a collossal error in judgement, who knows?

--- End quote ---

Or simply changing your game once it has reached a certain level and has earned you a certain amount of success is really tough. Think about how many people are stuck at their rankings (I'm talking about everyone from world number 2 and the likes of Murray and Tsonga and Berdych to world number 500 and world number 1000), I'm sure there are folks who are just dedicated and physically gifted, if only they could change their games to start winning more. But it doesn't happen for everyone. Or maybe they just don't work hard enough, maybe Fed's the same case.

monstertruck:
Fed has said as much in the past.
He has confidence in his game as it is.
It seemed to work against all but one player with only a few exceptions.
Perhaps he was right.
Perhaps there is/was nothing he could have done that would have mattered.
At this point we can only speculate.

pawan89:
I mean one can always evolve and get better. There's no better example than Nadal himself. It's just as fair to say Fed could/should have done better and changed his game as it is to give him the benefit of doubt. I guess like you said we can only speculate.

Too bad there aren't too many folks who HAVE had success against Nadal on clay, to draw parallels from. In fact Fed has been the most successful player against Nada on clayl, scoring 2 wins and a couple sets along the way. And only player to have eclipsed that success with some quality wins has been Djokovic and too bad we can't draw too many parallels between Federer and Djokovic on clay. Or can we? Would it really be too simplistic to say that Djokovic's backhand gives him the weapon that Federer never had, and not only was Fed's backhand not a weapon, against Nadal it was a liability and a much targeted weakness - and weakness is something Djokovic does not have. Even prior to 2011, Djokovic has had many tough battles against Nadal. Never won them because he just wasn't strong/good enough but there also wasn't a clear weakness for Nadal to target and conquer, the way he has always had with Federer.

again i think he should have done more. 'bad matchup' is not a phrase befitting champions. 

medwatt:
Really how can a player with a 1-hander change his game to adapt to Nadal's incessant backhand pounding ? The 1-hander has a limit in power production for a given player. So for Federer to adapt is to change to a 2-hander. Now if you say Federer doesn't like grinding it out against Nadal, I'd say look the earlier matches between the two. It always comes down to that 1-hander.
Look how solid Djokovic's backhand is !! Djokovic's only weakness is presence of mind during the match. Other than that I can't say Nadal has a plan to beat him.
Last year's MC : effects of a dead grandfather
Lasr year's RG: Absence of mind during that 4th set (Djokovic was on fire !!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version