Author Topic: who is the heavy favorite for RG this year  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: who is the heavy favorite for RG this year
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
At this stage, Djokovic will go into Roland Garros as favourite.  I rather fancied him taking out Nadal in 2011, but Federer played a superb semi. As great as Nadal has been on the dirt (the best of all time IMO), Djokovic is asking questions he can't answer.

true and false general britbox.

true in best of 3 sets foremats and false in best of 5 sets foremats on red clay.

unless nadal destroys his knee again, he simply cannot be defeated in a best of 5 sets foremat at rg. now that will change soon enough but not this soon.

I think nadal will hold on to his rg crown for 1 more year and then the inevitable has to happen.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2013, 01:47:55 AM »
At this stage, Djokovic will go into Roland Garros as favourite.  I rather fancied him taking out Nadal in 2011, but Federer played a superb semi. As great as Nadal has been on the dirt (the best of all time IMO), Djokovic is asking questions he can't answer.

Djokovic has not yet reached the stage where bookies have him as RG favourite. Still Nadal there, although the spread between them shortened after MC.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 03:08:01 AM »

Djokovic has not yet reached the stage where bookies have him as RG favourite. Still Nadal there, although the spread between them shortened after MC.
meh Lit, who cares about bookies. It's like a freaking stock market btw. Nole is more than capable of winning RG. sure Nadal will be there too. we can only speculate.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »

meh Lit, who cares about bookies. It's like a freaking stock market btw. Nole is more than capable of winning RG. sure Nadal will be there too. we can only speculate.

Bookies will not tell us who will win. But they will generally tell us who is favourite to win. And this was the assertion I commented upon, that Djokovic was now favourite.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
of course nole is the favorite anytime he steps out on any court. that is why he is #1.

but he is not the favorite in a final at rg against the clay warrior. that is one match he cannot win.

not this year anyway.

it will happen eventually but right now its too soon.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
of course nole is the favorite anytime he steps out on any court. that is why he is #1.

but he is not the favorite in a final at rg against the clay warrior. that is one match he cannot win.

not this year anyway.

it will happen eventually but right now its too soon.
not so sure Herc. plus Rafa will be seeded #5. he can be in Nole's half and then they will meet in QF.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
RG is off limits general alex.

your man will have to wait 1-2 more years.

:)) :)) :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
According to "Uncle Toni"....Roger is not even in the running for the French Open, and Murray has a better chance than he does (even though Murray hasn't even made a final)...But that's according to "Uncle Toni" :innocent:

For me... It depends on the seeding.  If they don't seed Nadal in the top 4...that would be a BIG mistake to me, and an injustice to the other top players because then one of them would have to meet him before the SF.  Nadal has only lost ONE match in his history at the French so even though he lost on clay to Novak, I think he (Nadal) is still the favorite.  I just hope somehow he is in the top 4 to be seeded.  There is no way Murray or Ferrer or Roger should be seeded higher than Nadal.  Novak is the only one who I can justify should be seeded higher than Nadal, but he's the only one.  I hope the French Open does like Wimbledon and made a diplomatic change in how they seed players.  But to me the favorite 3 are still:  Nadal, Novak, and Federer.  (Murray has to show me a little more on clay first).

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
nadal last lost a match in Barcelona 10 years ago.

he was still seeded #2 there.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
According to "Uncle Toni"....Roger is not even in the running for the French Open, and Murray has a better chance than he does (even though Murray hasn't even made a final)...But that's according to "Uncle Toni" :innocent:

For me... It depends on the seeding.  If they don't seed Nadal in the top 4...that would be a BIG mistake to me, and an injustice to the other top players because then one of them would have to meet him before the SF.  Nadal has only lost ONE match in his history at the French so even though he lost on clay to Novak, I think he (Nadal) is still the favorite.  I just hope somehow he is in the top 4 to be seeded.  There is no way Murray or Ferrer or Roger should be seeded higher than Nadal.  Novak is the only one who I can justify should be seeded higher than Nadal, but he's the only one.  I hope the French Open does like Wimbledon and made a diplomatic change in how they seed players.  But to me the favorite 3 are still:  Nadal, Novak, and Federer.  (Murray has to show me a little more on clay first).

Sampras was seeded #1 in RG five times. Roddick was seeded #2 twice. If they wanted realistic seedings, they should have done something many years ago to avoid such things.

If they want to change into a "Wimbledon-like" system with clay points counting double, then the least they could do was to give advance notice so everyone knows what the rules are well in advance. That might be the difference between playing the Golden swing and playing European indoor events.

So I feel Nadal should most definitely be seeded after the world ranking this year.

As for Nadal's chances of securing 4th, they depend upon victories both in Madrid and Rome, as well as Ferrer not doing to well.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

Sampras was seeded #1 in RG five times. Roddick was seeded #2 twice. If they wanted realistic seedings, they should have done something many years ago to avoid such things.

If they want to change into a "Wimbledon-like" system with clay points counting double, then the least they could do was to give advance notice so everyone knows what the rules are well in advance. That might be the difference between playing the Golden swing and playing European indoor events.

Yep. As unfair as it would be to watch Nadal play Novak/Federer/Murray in the quarters, you cannot break and bend the system to favor one player all of a sudden. We have the rankings, we have the system, they show that Nadal is ranked fifth and that's where he'll be seeded because the French Open seeds by ranking. That's that.

My solution, just find a way to rig the draw just a little bit and put Nadal in Ferrer's quarter and the whole world will forget this ranking/seeding issue and we don't have to look at a Fed/Novak/Murray vs. Nadal quarterfinal.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
What time is the cutoff for the rankings at RG?

Who cares who Nadal plays?  He'll knock Murray into yesterday, same with Fed.
Who's left??? Just Djokovic.

Djokovic can take Nadal out in SF. Fed takes out Djokovic in final for another RG title.  :king:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:16:22 PM by swish »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

Djokovic can take Nadal out in SF. Fed takes out Djokovic in final for another RG title.  :king:

If we're on dreamland, let's go with this: Fed takes out Djokovic in Semis, Nadal in finals. Repeats feat at Wimbledon with Murray and Nadal and then repeats feat at USOpen with Murray and Djokovic and retires with 20 slams and the #1 ranking.

Ok back to reality. I'm interested in how Fed's form is when he gets back and more importantly, has he found ways to get better or is he just playing for a spot in the semis and be happy. Cuz he went down fairly straightforward fashion against Djokovic in the semis of both Rome and RG last year.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

If we're on dreamland, let's go with this: Fed takes out Djokovic in Semis, Nadal in finals. Repeats feat at Wimbledon with Murray and Nadal and then repeats feat at USOpen with Murray and Djokovic and retires with 20 slams and the #1 ranking.

Ok back to reality. I'm interested in how Fed's form is when he gets back and more importantly, has he found ways to get better or is he just playing for a spot in the semis and be happy. Cuz he went down fairly straightforward fashion against Djokovic in the semis of both Rome and RG last year.

We need to see Fed's form, if it's good he'll have his chances.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2013, 03:22:53 AM »

Cutoff is after Rome. So there's just Madrid and Rome left to make a difference in rankings (Estoril won't make any difference for Ferrer regardless of his result there).

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »

Cutoff is after Rome. So there's just Madrid and Rome left to make a difference in rankings (Estoril won't make any difference for Ferrer regardless of his result there).

Oh good  :) It's highly unlikely Nadal will close the 1000 points gap. I would like to see Nadal-Djokovic quarter

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »

Oh good  :) It's highly unlikely Nadal will close the 1000 points gap. I would like to see Nadal-Djokovic quarter

Don't get too excited. Nadal is likely to be seeded 5th, but still there is only 25% chance of him meeting Djokovic in the QF if the draw is not fixed, and 0% if it is.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »
Lit, I don't know how they can fix the draw, but trust me, they'll try anything to avoid having Nole and Rafa in the same half of the draw. that's my conspiracy theory and it's all about $$$.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »
Lit, I don't know how they can fix the draw, but trust me, they'll try anything to avoid having Nole and Rafa in the same half of the draw. that's my conspiracy theory and it's all about $$$.

Yes, slam draws quite often open for the most attractive final.

For many years, Federer - Nadal was what was most desired. So Djokovic got placed with Federer all the time on HC and grass, and Murray with Nadal, as this constallation made a Fedal final most likely since Djokovic was more prone to trouble Nadal than Murray. On clay we got a Nadal - Djokovic SF as the best way to accomplish the same goal, as Djokovic here was more likely to bother Fed. The world has since moved on, a Djokovic - Nadal final is what most neutral observers now want, and I too think they're going to get the opportunity, which means I foresee them somehow ending up on different halves.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
Draws are too hard to fix. Waaaaaay too many people there.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D