Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

How Good Is Nole : Can He Approach 17 Slams

<< < (2/8) > >>

Richard Miller:
When he injured his ankle for a moment it looked like he might be out for indefinite time, i.e. not even playing let alone winning anything. This is all putting the cart before the horse. The road ahead of him definitely looks much brighter now than in 2009 or early 2010, but that's it. He may play until he's 35/36 or retire before he's 30, we might as well throw dice on that.

Alex:

--- Quote from: Clay Death on April 22, 2013, 06:39:58 AM ---what if he gets 2 slams this year and 3 next year?

that is 11 all of a sudden and he will be just 27. who can slow him down except himself?

like I said nadal doesn't really want to fight anymore. all I have ever heard from him is lip service and no action since the end of 2010. in fact he said all year long in 2011 that he felt like he was worn out from tennis and that he felt like he had been playing tennis "for 100 years".

so he refuses to improve his game or his fitness.

the jury is out on murray and roger will be 32 this year.

--- End quote ---
CD, again again it's possible but a big IF. I hope Fed fans don't jump but the thing is Fed won most of his slams beating a bunch of inferior players. His only real rival was Nadal. btw, I'm not taking anything away from Fed. He played whoever was on the other side of the net.

I don't know how many majors will Nole end up with at the end of his career but I'm really proud that he'd done all of this so far with Fed, Rafa and Murray around. 

medwatt:
Until I see a real threat from anyone outside the top 3, I'll say Djokovic can surpass 11. Let's be realistic, Djokovic is 26 now. Add 2 more years of dominance means he has a max of 8 slams to win from. Assume he wins 2 each year, thats 4 + 6(already) = 10 . . .
If I'm to take a wild shot, I'd say he'll get 13 slams . . .

Rafa816:
I don't think he'll get to 17. He's amazing, but he can't constantly dominate Murray and Nadal. Both of those players will 'steal' (in Nadal's case, I wouldn't even call it stealing) enough slams to keep Djoker from getting to 17.

As far as Nadal refusing to improve his game and fitness?! Really? As far as his fitness, he doesn't NEED to improve it. He's already as fit or more fit than any other player on tour. As far as his game, he's done nothing BUT try to improve it his entire career. We CONSTANTLY see adjustments to his game. Look at the player he was when he first arrived on tour, and the player he is now. They're practically different people. And even now, he's still trying to tweak his game. He's more aggressive now than he was a year or two ago, he's probably made the most conscious change to his preparation to stay within the newly enforced time limit (despite his hatred of the rule), and he pushes his opponents around more now to open up the court because he's trying to end points faster.

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: Rafa816 on April 22, 2013, 02:14:38 PM ---I don't think he'll get to 17. He's amazing, but he can't constantly dominate Murray and Nadal. Both of those players will 'steal' (in Nadal's case, I wouldn't even call it stealing) enough slams to keep Djoker from getting to 17.

As far as Nadal refusing to improve his game and fitness?! Really? As far as his fitness, he doesn't NEED to improve it. He's already as fit or more fit than any other player on tour. As far as his game, he's done nothing BUT try to improve it his entire career. We CONSTANTLY see adjustments to his game. Look at the player he was when he first arrived on tour, and the player he is now. They're practically different people. And even now, he's still trying to tweak his game. He's more aggressive now than he was a year or two ago, he's probably made the most conscious change to his preparation to stay within the newly enforced time limit (despite his hatred of the rule), and he pushes his opponents around more now to open up the court because he's trying to end points faster.

--- End quote ---
No small feat.  Am sure that disrupts his rhythm to some degree.
Kudos to him!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version