Author Topic: How Good Is Nole : Can He Approach 17 Slams  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: How Good Is Nole : Can He Approach 17 Slams
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
at the current rate nole is going to blast past the clay warrior.

his 2 a year will easily exceed the 2 remaining slams for nadal for the rest of his career.

I think nadal gets the next 2 RG crowns and then its over for him.

since he refuses to improve, don't ecpect him to win anything else on other surfaces.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
But 2 a year would still be difficult. Nadal is only a year older, and will almost certainly take RG every year. Then there's Murray, who's a big threat to him on the other three. And Nadal is obviously always a threat as well. So getting 2 every year for 5 years, especially as he gets older and has the threat of injury, would be pretty amazing.

"Every year" meaning...? How long do you think Nadal will continue to win RG? I suppose in 1981 people though Borg would win 10 times, but that stopped suddenly. Nadal could lose motivation too.

I think he will win the next three or four, honestly.

his 2 a year will easily exceed the 2 remaining slams for nadal for the rest of his career.

since he refuses to improve, don't ecpect him to win anything else on other surfaces.

That's ridiculous. And, since you seem to have just ignored what I said a few posts ago in proving you wrong about Nadal refusing to improve, I'll just copy and paste it:

As far as Nadal refusing to improve his game and fitness?! Really? As far as his fitness, he doesn't NEED to improve it. He's already as fit or more fit than any other player on tour. As far as his game, he's done nothing BUT try to improve it his entire career. We CONSTANTLY see adjustments to his game. Look at the player he was when he first arrived on tour, and the player he is now. They're practically different people. And even now, he's still trying to tweak his game. He's more aggressive now than he was a year or two ago, he's probably made the most conscious change to his preparation to stay within the newly enforced time limit (despite his hatred of the rule), and he pushes his opponents around more now to open up the court because he's trying to end points faster.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »
nadal has zero improvements to his game in 4 years.

that is why he continues to drop in the rankings. when all else fails, just glance at the rankings.

he is about 50% of what he used to be even on the red clay.

zero improvements and a dramatic drop in fitness = 13 finals lost since the end of 2010. it cannot possibly get any more clear than that.

he is not 1/2 the player he used to be. why? because he refuses to improve any areas of his damn game and now he is 12-13 pounds heavier. so now he even says NO to supreme fitness.

all he can do is pay some lip service and some fools out there buy his nonsense. I know better.

so I will stick with my calculations.

remember when all else fails, just glance at the rankings.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:17:37 PM by Clay Death »

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
But 2 a year would still be difficult. Nadal is only a year older, and will almost certainly take RG every year. Then there's Murray, who's a big threat to him on the other three. And Nadal is obviously always a threat as well. So getting 2 every year for 5 years, especially as he gets older and has the threat of injury, would be pretty amazing.

"Every year" meaning...? How long do you think Nadal will continue to win RG? I suppose in 1981 people though Borg would win 10 times, but that stopped suddenly. Nadal could lose motivation too.

I think he will win the next three or four, honestly.

That's ridiculous. And, since you seem to have just ignored what I said a few posts ago in proving you wrong about Nadal refusing to improve, I'll just copy and paste it:

As far as Nadal refusing to improve his game and fitness?! Really? As far as his fitness, he doesn't NEED to improve it. He's already as fit or more fit than any other player on tour. As far as his game, he's done nothing BUT try to improve it his entire career. We CONSTANTLY see adjustments to his game. Look at the player he was when he first arrived on tour, and the player he is now. They're practically different people. And even now, he's still trying to tweak his game. He's more aggressive now than he was a year or two ago, he's probably made the most conscious change to his preparation to stay within the newly enforced time limit (despite his hatred of the rule), and he pushes his opponents around more now to open up the court because he's trying to end points faster.
dude relax. I've known Herc for over 7 years now (we used to post on tennis.com at that time). He is the biggest Rafa fan in the world. However, he'll criticize Rafa no mater what. Even if Rafa wins both RG and Wimbledon he'll say something like 'not good enough, needs to improve this or that'  :rofl_2: ... It's jus a good old Herc. sorry, you are new here but Herc loves Rafa more than himself  :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
nadal has zero improvements to his game in 4 years.

that is why he continues to drop in the rankings. when all else fails, just glance at the rankings.

he is about 50% of what he used to be even on the red clay.

zero improvements and a dramatic drop in fitness = 13 finals lost since the end of 2010. it cannot possibly get any more clear than that.

he is not 1/2 the player he used to be. why? because he refuses to improve any areas of his damn game and now he is 12-13 pounds heavier. so now he even says NO to supreme fitness.

all he can do is pay some lip service and some fools out there buy his nonsense. I know better.

so I will stick with my calculations.

remember when all else fails, just glance at the rankings.

But he has factual improvement to his game in 4 years like I said. Look at his serve in 2009 and now. It's at least on average 10 mph faster. And look at his finishing shots in '09 and now. They're much flatter now. And watch how he throws people back and forth around the court now. That's something he's changed since he's come back from injury.

The reason he's dropped in ranking is because he didn't play for 7 months. Hard to keep points when you're injured.

That's definitely not true. He won IW for the first time since '09. That's definitely not 50% of where he used to be. Yeah, he lost to Djoker at MC, but he also lost to Djokovic twice on clay in 2011, but still took RG. And the conditions favored Nole in the first set. That's why there was such a difference in how close the first set and second set were. They had just come back from an hour long rain delay. The heavier conditions favor Nole, as we saw at least year's French. But as the court started to dry up, Nadal competed better. If he had his mental strength that he used to have, he would've taken that second set and MC might have the same old champion. As far as mental strength, I'd agree with you about being at 50%. As far as his actual play and fitness, not in the slightest.

13? Try 10. Or 11 if you count the year-end championships. And among those 11 lost, there's also 10 won. 50/50 isn't terrible. Especially considering 6 of the losses were to Djoker in 2011, which is the best I've ever seen anyone play and it's unlikely to happen again.

Again, he is not 50% of the player he used to be. He's playing just as well as he did before the injury, has even made improvements in the last few months, let alone four years, and his fitness is as good as ever. The only thing that's suffered is his mental strength.

I definitely know better. I'm not paying attention to his interviews. I've hardly even seen any interviews. But I do buy what I see on the court. I've watched Nadal plenty, believe me. I know how he used to play, and I know how he plays now. He's made improvements. He just needs the mental strength that he used to have. He doesn't face break point and play it like any other like he used to. He tightens up and sprays errors. But I'm sure he'll fix that in the coming months. He's a champion and a warrior. He knows how to overcome obstacles.

Rankings are deceiving. He wouldn't be ranked 5 now if he hadn't been gone for 7 months.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
he dropped in ranking before his 7 months off to play endless poker and golf.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
No he didn't. He was number 2. And playing tennis on the knee he had wasn't going to happen.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
he dropped in ranking before his 7 months off to play endless poker and golf.
hey, nothing wrong with that. If I had all of his money I'd be playing golf, poker, meet some good looking women, what the heck  :))

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:49 AM »
No he didn't. He was number 2. And playing tennis on the knee he had wasn't going to happen.

To be precise he was #3 after the last tournament he played in 2012.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
The last tournament he played was Wimbledon, where he was seeded second.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
The last tournament he played was Wimbledon, where he was seeded second.

Yes, but for the first tournament he actually missed, the Olympics, he would have been #3 in the rankings and 3rd seed.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
But that includes the early loss at Wimby, which is a little unfair since it could be attributed to his injury.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
But that includes the early loss at Wimby, which is a little unfair since it could be attributed to his injury.

Clay Death said Nadal dropped in the rankings while playing. He definitely played in Wimbledon, and this tournament dropped him to 3rd.

Most likely he could have played on but chose not to as it the pain finally grew larger than his ambition to win and he realized he had to do something about it. Like W 2009, where he played two grass exhos, being competitive against Hewitt and Wawrinka, before deciding not to play the tournament. Another player would have treated R1 and R2 as the tests, and if they went well then you're already in the tournament. If not, retire then. I wondered why he didn't simply do this instead.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
Sampras said recently that Djokovic could challenge his year end #1 record.

Sampras

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »
Sampras does not know what the hell he is talking about.

the sport has become extremely demanding now.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
Djokovic can have his way for awhile, Fed isn't going to be around in strong form for much longer.

Nadal will have trouble stopping Djokovic on hards where so many points come from and Djokovic will get his share everywhere else too.

A younger player will have to be very strong everywhere and there's not much to pick from now.

It could be years before he's dethroned but he has to stay healthy so that has to be there too.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »
Sampras said recently that Djokovic could challenge his year end #1 record.

Sampras

Pete needs to shave his eyebrows btw  :rofl_2:.