Author Topic: Can Djokovic Overtake The Rivalry With Nadal?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Can Djokovic Overtake The Rivalry With Nadal?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
If they were two best players in the World and Rafa were able to play his best game for the entire year, they' have tons of matches. And most of the matches being outside clay would would lead to Nole catching Rafa in H2H.

But right now it's hard for Rafa to get to semis/finals outside clay, making most Noledal matches being played on clay. That makes it difficult for Nole to catch Rafa.

I wouldn't be so sure. The last hard court tourney they both played, Nadal won, Djoker lost in the semis  :whistle:

Nadal got lucky that DelPo was tired.
In the first set DelPo was all over Nadal and had a break up in the second.

Nadal didn't get lucky at MC.

Djokovic is making inroads on clay and already has hard courts.

The question is when he will pass Nadal, I'm saying sometime in 2014.

Lucky? Really? Del Po is always tired. His fitness is terrible. And Nadal contributed to tiring him out because of how he's tweaked his play recently to wear people out more during points and then end them quicker. And Djoker won the first set and still couldn't beat Del Po's sub par fitness. Nadal lost the first set and still won. Nole went into the second set ahead and lost. Rafa went into the second set behind and won. Dunno how much clearer that can be that Nadal did better. No, he didn't get lucky at MC. If anything, he got unlucky. Rain right before the final made the conditions heavier, which favors Nole. Personally, I don't think Nole will catch up in the rivalry, but I could be wrong.

nadal got more than just lucky. he played roger who had a terrible back. I saw that match.

roger could barely walk or stand up straight.

it was a horrible mistake for nadal to show up here. evidently he is just too damn stupid to see that his clay dominance has been slipping away.

even a dramatic drop in rankings cant clear anything up for him.

for the sake of greed and for the sake of his infatuation for hard courts he gave up his only greatest competitive advantage which was complete dominance on clay.

once nole takes that way from him too, there is no place for nadal to turn to. I guess he can go back to being fat and happy.

why not play endless poker and golf instead of fighting and competing against the greatest warriors on the battlefield.

Wow.

nadal got more than just lucky. he played roger who had a terrible back. I saw that match.

roger could barely walk or stand up straight.

it was a horrible mistake for nadal to show up here. evidently he is just too damn stupid to see that his clay dominance has been slipping away.

even a dramatic drop in rankings cant clear anything up for him.

for the sake of greed and for the sake of his infatuation for hard courts he gave up his only greatest competitive advantage which was complete dominance on clay.

once nole takes that way from him too, there is no place for nadal to turn to. I guess he can go back to being fat and happy.

why not play endless poker and golf instead of fighting and competing against the greatest warriors on the battlefield.

I can hardly believe that Federer played that day, that was the worst shape I've ever seen him play in.

Nadal shoud have skipped IW but he knows Larry Ellison.

His knees weren't as bad as people believe, he was going to play the AO but had some stomach virus.
So he was ready to play since around December last year.

He may have been ready even before that.

Even now Nadal is losing his clay court dominance, it started to break down in 2011.
We'll have to see what this year brings.

Rome will be important.

People are blowing it all out of proportion in my opinion. Saying it started to break down in 2011 is odd, considering he won the French Open that year and everything on clay except the awful blue clay tourney in 2012. And now Nole wins one of the clay tourneys against Nadal and everyone is talking again about how Rafa isn't as dominant on clay anymore. We'll see this time next month how the rest of the clay season plays out. If Nadal loses at RG, we'll talk. Otherwise, I'd say Rafa is still the king of clay.

Off course Nadal is the king of clay.

Nole took Nadal's scalp two times that year in straight sets on clay.
I believe he would have taken RG also but Federer, the best player of all time, took him out.

Djokovic is going for Nadal's head again this year, he's been waiting for him to slip up and he has.

Djokovic is also in the last 11 matches 8-3.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »
excellent thread by general swish.

:)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
excellent thread by general swish.

:)) :))

:rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
 :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
bottom line:

clay warrior has to take their next 3 meetings.

otherwise nole is going to blast right past this rivalry.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »
Djokovic is really pushing this year, it's going to be a war.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
bottom line:

the bottom line is Nole is taking RG  this year:)~.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
bottom line:

the bottom line is Nole is taking RG  this year:)~.

Nole wants it all this year, including clay.
Unlike Fed he wants to rule all surfaces.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
it has always been war between these 2 on clay.

only nadal was willing to fight like hell and go the extra mile. nadal`s fitness and his endless fight kept nole just barely in check even though nadal probably leads 12-3 on the red clay. nole has always given nadal hell on clay.

as soon as that ended, nole started to gain a foothold. as soon as nadal dropped his fitness and his fight, nole was there to take advantage.

that is how it always is in sports. do you really believe that nole had the game to deal with roger when roger was in his prime. in fact nobody did except for nadal.

nole waited and waited until roger got old and slow and slightly less effective off the ground.

so either somebody has to get injured or they have to get old. some other hungry young gun comes along who also wants his shot at glory.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
it has always been war between these 2 on clay.

only nadal was willing to fight like hell and go the extra mile. nadal`s fitness and his endless fight kept nole just barely in check even though nadal probably leads 12-3 on the red clay. nole has always given nadal hell on clay.

as soon as that ended, nole started to gain a foothold. as soon as nadal dropped his fitness and his fight, nole was there to take advantage.

that is how it always is in sports. do you really believe that nole had the game to deal with roger when roger was in his prime. in fact nobody did except for nadal.

nole waited and waited until roger got old and slow and slightly less effective off the ground.

so either somebody has to get injured or they have to get old. some other hungry young gun comes along who also wants his shot at glory.

Fed looks about out of the picture, Making it to #1 and a slam lat year may be about it for him.

Nadal looks to have started to go down also.

Djokovic looks like he's just hitting his prime and may be there for 5 years more.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
I am not sure if nole`s prime will last that long. his style is based in incredible movement and baseline work.

roger lasted a little longer because he could do it all. he also had one of the biggest serves ever so that ended a lot of points in a hurry.

I give nole 3 more years as far as his prime goes. that means this year and then 2 more.

it will get tricky after that. nadal might resurface or murray may find a way to get his own shot at glory.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
I am not sure if nole`s prime will last that long. his style is based in incredible movement and baseline work.

roger lasted a little longer because he could do it all. he also had one of the biggest serves ever so that ended a lot of points in a hurry.

I give nole 3 more years as far as his prime goes. that means this year and then 2 more.

it will get tricky after that. nadal might resurface or murray may find a way to get his own shot at glory.

Fed may come back too, he's a stubborn man.  ;-()

Murray is the wild card, he has the tools and can do anything with the ball.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
affirmative general.

I have murray taking the u.s. open again. watch out if he manages to beat nole in the final again.

it will be absolutely massive for his confidence.

poor general alex is going to turn grey just reading our posts here today.

:)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Nope. I got Nadal winning the USO this year as a giant finger to all his doubters. I could see Murray taking Wimbledon, though. His uncanny ability to know exactly what his opponent is going to do with the ball makes him a beast at Wimbledon.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
nadal is weak as a lamb even on his beloved red clay. how the hell is going to win a slam on the hard courts?

its over mate. the best he can do for now is take care of his RG crown and then go work on his damn game and his fitness for 2013.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
Nope. I got Nadal winning the USO this year as a giant finger to all his doubters. I could see Murray taking Wimbledon, though. His uncanny ability to know exactly what his opponent is going to do with the ball makes him a beast at Wimbledon.

That would be amazing, the whole tennis world be shocked.   :scared:

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
He won Indian Wells, which isn't much slower than Arthur Ashe.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:53 AM »
rafa is not losing RG.

and he will forever be the king of clay. now nothing and nobody can take that away from him.

you have to have 8 RG crowns, 9 Monte Carlo titles, 7 Rome masters titles, 7 or 8 Barcelona titles and then you can be the new king of clay.

since the sport is demanding and becoming more demanding with each passing week, nadal`s records on clay never even be approached, much less be equaled.

Isn't "king of clay" an active title? After Nadal's eventual retirement someone else will be the best player, is that someone to be denied the title? I'd differentiate between "king" and "best ever". I didn't regard Borg as king of clay in 2008, but he was undoubtedly still the best ever at that time. Remember in kingdoms, after the previous king steps down, another takes his place.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
but the past kings never go away either. just like the past presidents.

president bill Clinton is forever a president Clinton.

anyway the king of clay is a unique title as the best of the best in history on that surface have been vilas (46 clay titles), borg, muster, and now nadal.

I believe they will forever be known as kings of clay and they are when I read about them here and there.

I think nadal has 38 clay titles. he will get another 10-12 before he is done.

he cannot possibly be known as anything other than the king of clay. that is how history will see him and that is the best description.

nadal just happens to be the ultimate king of clay.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
many good points here from CD and Swish. Djokovic became a monster and he still so driven ... I really respect that.

Fed is slowing down, it's normal. I still think he is more than capable of winning another Wimbledon.

As Swish said, Murray is a wild card. you never know with him. now with a healthy Nadal I think he'll be in trouble if those two meet on grass or even on  HC. Nadal is a bad match up for Murray.

Nadal, IMHO will be #2 soon if he stays healthy. His only problem is Djokovic. He can handle anybody else just fine.