Author Topic: Wimbledon to increase prize money for 2013 and build 2nd roof for 2019  (Read 552 times)

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/press_releases/2013-04-23/201304231366709628963.html

Good to see the biggest increase in early-round losses and in qualies, even though I don't agree about prize money increase for R1 losses if that's going to happen.

And roof for No. 1 Court is a great thing. Wimbledon and AO are definitely the best organized slams.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
well they have to keep up with Jones  :). I do agree with you about the AO and W being the best organized slams.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I think round 1 losers get 30% more, that should take care of the expenses and round 2/3 get more. 

Good news, players can spend more on training. 

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
thanks for the latest on Wimbledon general august.

they are out to make sure that they stay in the forefront now. Wimbledon is about to get a lot bigger than it has ever been.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Some of those models of how it'll look are beautiful.
The pay increases go from qualies to the third round, 88% of the players are gone by then so it's good.

The sport needs money to attract new talent like Jerzy Janowicz.   :king:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
agreed. you make nothing in this sport if you are outside top 200.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
so true, the problem is that lower ranked players can hardly afford traveling, hotels etc. top guys are making too much. prize money still should be redistributed better.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
so true, the problem is that lower ranked players can hardly afford traveling, hotels etc. top guys are making too much. prize money still should be redistributed better.

It's still a step in the right direction, now the lower players can at least afford a decent meal.

That's a good increase when it was so small.

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
Here are the details about those prize money increases.

http://www.wimbledon.com/pdf/Press_Release_Prize_Money_2013.pdf

I'm a bit surprised to see it doesn't make a difference in prize money whether you made it to R1 directly or through qualies, as it makes a difference in points. And I think it should make a difference also in prize money, otherwise there's the danger that players come to lose R1 even if they aren't fully fit.

Also, a bit surprising that mixed doubles didn't get an increase in prize money.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
Here are the details about those prize money increases.

http://www.wimbledon.com/pdf/Press_Release_Prize_Money_2013.pdf

I'm a bit surprised to see it doesn't make a difference in prize money whether you made it to R1 directly or through qualies, as it makes a difference in points. And I think it should make a difference also in prize money, otherwise there's the danger that players come to lose R1 even if they aren't fully fit.

Also, a bit surprising that mixed doubles didn't get an increase in prize money.

Certainly players coming through qualies should get more for a R1 loss imo. They at least won something. And they put in more days.

The mixed does not surprise me, there is no prestige there. 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Wimbledon to increase prize money for 2013 and build 2nd roof for 2019
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
well they have to keep up with Jones  :). I do agree with you about the AO and W being the best organized slams.

I agree too.  And they have the 'roofs'!