Author Topic: Asian Tennis League: Nole, Rafa, Murray in  (Read 195 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Asian Tennis League: Nole, Rafa, Murray in
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
I really don't think this is a good idea. Yes, they will get paid huge $$$$ but still ... do they need to play 5 set matches in this glorifying exho instead of resting before the AO? I don't get it. As if Nole, Rafa and Murray don't have enough money. All of them complained about the long season and now this. It doesn't make any sense to me.
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/nadal-djokovic-sign-up-for-asian-tennis-league/article4750277.ece

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
Re: Asian Tennis League: Nole, Rafa, Murray in
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »
 :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
This is gonna be Hilarious !!

All of them complained about the long season and now this. It doesn't make any sense to me.
I was exactly wondering about this..earlier, they complained tennis season was too long & they needed more breaks..now they play these exo's in their break time.. :confused1: :confused1:

Notable absentees include Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova, who have already announced plans for various exhibitions in South America during the off-season.

Apparently, this is Headed by Mahesh Bhupathi-owned Globosport property. Its a Tennis version of the IPL ( Indian premier League )

Superstars such as Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and legends Andre Aggasi and Pete Sampras have promised to feature in the league, which is expected to begin in December 2014, prior to the Australian Open.

At least 9-10 cities including Singapore, Tokyo, Mumbai, Delhi, Hong Kong, Manila, Seoul, Dubai, Jakarta and Doha are in contention to buy six franchisees.
The league will have a 30-match schedule in its first year with home-and-away matches between each of the six franchises. Each team can have six to 10 players.
There will be five matches a night in one-set men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, mixed doubles and legends singles.
All the six franchises will be based in Asian cities.

Bhupathi also informed that he has spoken to Indian players such as Sania Mirza, Somdev Devvarman, Rohan Bopanna for participation in the league.

"I'm sure all of them will be involved. Everything is under process," he said adding that Leander Paes will also be there.

Bhupathi also said that governing bodies of the game, both ATP and WTA, were very supportive of his project.
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Asian Tennis League: Nole, Rafa, Murray in
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
They can skip practices and don't have to push themselves too hard.

So they can still get prepared while getting paid. Looks pretty good.  :cool: