Author Topic: The Greatest of All Time: Do You Believe In This Concept/Theoretical Construct  (Read 620 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Federer is the best of all time, but not the GOAT. The real GOAT doesn't exist. He would have to be the BOAT + own the best H2H against his biggest rival.

Since Nadal IMHO can never have all the records in tennis like Roger, but he isn't a BOAT, much less GOAT candidate.

Roger is as close as it gets.

But peRFection can never be attained in this world.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
excellent post by mertov.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Hi everyone,

I think it's perfectly fine to have such debate.  Why not if it adds entertainment to a round-table discussion?  I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that a player's greatest status in 2009 or 2012 can be compared to that of another in 1972, but if we were not to talk about it simply because we are comparing players from a different era, that would take away the fun in most tennis discussions where players, rackets, equipment or tennis are compared from one era to another.  Thus, I understand if someone is really against the idea of discussing players from different eras and they choose not to participate, but to cut it down as if it was something ridiculous to do makes no sense either.  I agree and don't agree with Federer in the quote above.  Of course we will never know, if we knew, then we would put it in the record book and not bring it up again, unless we are mentioning pure facts or statistics.  But what fun would that be?

Best
I know where you are coming from and we can talk, no problem there ... you see in my book Borg is the best ever. Had he played the AO regularly, had he cared about his GS total count, had he not retired when he was only 25 yo ...  he could have easily won many more slams (more than Rogi IMO). Borg also hated the USO and night matches. Sure I'm just speculating ... would've, should've, could've but hey  :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
I know where you are coming from and we can talk, no problem there ... you see in my book Borg is the best ever. Had he played the AO regularly, had he cared about his GS total count, had he not retired when he was only 25 yo ...  he could have easily won many more slams (more than Rogi IMO). Borg also hated the USO and night matches. Sure I'm just speculating ... would've, should've, could've but hey  :))

Still it's a knock against Borg being a "mental giant" that he couldn't overcome his dislike of the US Open night matches. Somehow Fed embraced the New York scene and make it his own, despite being totally opposite culturally.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
negative.

stop to think that winning both French open and Wimbledon took a lot out of him physically and mentally.

and how many times did he win the French open and Wimbledon? and how often has been done since borg did it a few times?

It was actually somewhat expected that he would be mentally weary by the time u.s. open would roll around.