Author Topic: Twitter: Tiriac wants Madrid to be a two-week event  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Twitter: Tiriac wants Madrid to be a two-week event
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
Tiriac looks to be working toward making Madrid a slam.  :)>>>>

They should take Madrid and schedule it after RG.
Then take all the clay tournaments and move them to an earlier time.
Then make Madrid a grass court masters.

Tiriac will have a tournament that would be novel which he wants and we would have a grass court masters.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 04:40:43 AM »
5th slam is not happening.

it will destroy the tradition and the mystique of 4 slams and interfere in a massive way with the true nature and the history of 4 slams. and it will be unfair to all the slam winners of the past.

tiriac is nuts. they tried throwing millions and millions at the masters cup. that did not work either.

that is why they keep changing the locations. they are still trying to make it popular.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »

it will destroy the tradition and the mystique of 4 slams and interfere in a massive way with the true nature and the history of 4 slams. and it will be unfair to all the slam winners of the past.

tiriac is nuts. they tried throwing millions and millions at the masters cup. that did not work either.

that is why they keep changing the locations. they are still trying to make it popular.

At least he's trying, eventually he should get something right.  :cool:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
we desperately need a grass masters event.

revive hamburg and make madrid a grass masters event.

grass season is too short. that has to be fixed.

It has to be fixed asap.
Although I don't agree on 2nd part. Madrid shouldn't be played on grass, I don't want grass event in front of so many tennis ignorant crowd.

Give back Masters to Germany, and they'll host wonderful grass Masters event.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »

I agree, especially on that bolded part. The number of slams must be four. If Madrid, China, or whatever will ever host a slam, I want it to replace FO or AO, even though it would be sad to lose one of those. But they wouldn't have the prestige in years, and I don't see them hosting slams.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »

I agree, especially on that bolded part. The number of slams must be four. If Madrid, China, or whatever will ever host a slam, I want it to replace FO or AO, even though it would be sad to lose one of those. But they wouldn't have the prestige in years, and I don't see them hosting slams.

Four slams is enough.  :cool:

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
The system of four slams is great. It has slams at the four most traditional tennis countries. Also, there are four different surfaces (even though they should be a bit more different).

If there would be a 5th slam, it should be on fast indoor courts, the biggest indoor event is WTF. But WTF isn't a slam, maybe it would be more slam-like if it had a field of 128 and Bo5 (would be hard to have under one roof), or if it were a joint event.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »

Four slams is enough.  :cool:
Isn't that why they're called Slams (as in Grand Slam)?
5 just makes no sense.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
From the Wik-

The term Grand Slam also, and originally, refers to the achievement of winning all four major championships in a single calendar year within one of the five disciplines: men's and women's singles; men's, women's, and mixed doubles. In doubles one team may accomplish a Grand Slam playing together or one player may achieve it with different partners. The term "Grand Slam" without qualification refers to winning the four majors in a single calendar year.[1][2][3] However, the term "Grand Slam" when used with an indefinite article is widely accepted as referring to any one of the Majors (e.g. "Andy won a grand slam title this year").
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
I've heard some rumors on another tennis board that either Madrid or Rome might be downgraded to 500 by 2015/16. If this is true I hope it's Madrid. Tiriac  is being delusional talking about this GS nonsense and Madrid is probably the worst master in tennis history. 4 slams we have right now are over 100 yo ... tradition, history etc. We do not need 5th major.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:04:06 AM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
I've heard some rumors on another tennis board that either Madrid or Rome might be downgraded to 500 by 201516. If this is true I hope it's Madrid. Tiriac  is being delusional talking about this GS nonsense and Madrid is probably the worst master in tennis history. 4 slams we have right now are over 100 yo ... tradition, history etc. We do not need 5th major.
Madrid can go.
I happen to like Rome better.
Time will tell.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
just bring back the variation in surfaces and also get back carpets........tour would be interesting again.........no need of 5 slams........i think we have had enough of baseline tennis........fans were yearning for it 10 years ago........they got it for 10 long years........now it's time to change it again........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »
u.s. open could be fast indoor clay.

that would be a good variation.

u.s open used to be at forest hills. the surface was har tru which is a faster form of clay.

as good as borg was on clay, he failed to win that event on har tru at least twice if I recall reading it right.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »
Ahh Forest Hills, those were the days......

I can't imagine the USTA turning back to clay now though considering the proliferation of hard courts here in the States.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »

I can't imagine the USTA turning back to clay now though considering the proliferation of hard courts here in the States.

No clay needed.
They have the perfect formula for everyone now.
Money for the big wigs, players, plenty of exposure to the media.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 11:43:40 PM »
Tiriac is a modern day tennis mafia-don. He must be resisted at all costs.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »

No clay needed.
They have the perfect formula for everyone now.
Money for the big wigs, players, plenty of exposure to the media.
Basically, it's a circus.
Being a clown myself, I thoroughly enjoy circuses.
Just not when tennis is involved.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
 :)) :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:50 AM »
Are guys you refereing to 5 slams in case Madrid gets one extra week?

What about IW and Miami then? They are both 2 weeks events...

By the way, I'm against Madrid to be 2 week event.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:28:26 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Are guys you refereing to 5 slams in case Madrid gets one extra week?

What about IW and Miami then? They are both 2 weeks events...

By the way, I'm against Madrid to be 2 week event.

It would be only a two-week M1000 like IW & Miami.

But I think Tiriac's idea is to increase the prestige of Madrid and later make it a slam. I think he once had a statement where he said slams shouldn't be a closed tournament category, so he'd obviously want Madrid to be a slam. If RG's renovation doesn't get started, I believe Tiriac would be more than willing to replace FO with Madrid as a slam. And yeah, if another place can offer a better event than RG, I'm all for the change of the location, I've got enough of rain delays and night breaks. But Madrid definitely shouldn't be the clay slam, it's not true clay tennis in Madrid's altitude. Another of Tiriac's events, Bucharest, is in better altitude.