Author Topic: Why most tennis fans care so much about domination, records, strong eras etc?  (Read 675 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Simple question. Why?  :))

Why so obsessed with trivial things while you can simply enjoy the beauty of this sport?  :)

Ahhh and those never ending discussions about what era is stronger, gives me chills all the time  :fever 2: Just freaking enjoy tennis  :drunk:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
I agree. But clearly this is a weak era.

:)~

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
It's fun to analyze what's going on in the tennis world.
I look at it as kind of a hobby, checking stats, seeing what players are doing to get better and looking at results.

The answers are subjective so the debate continues........  :king:

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
For me, I love stats and always have, not just sport stats but all kinds. I keep track of every tennis record I can think of, prestigious and otherwise, and love when they are bettered. I'm not dependent on them, I watched tennis also in periodes where no records were threatened, but it certainly adds to the attraction. That's another reason WTA is less interesting to me, between Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf all the important records are set and look extremely unlikely to be challenged in the future. I had hopes Hingis might do something there but of course she burned out early. Still managed 209 weeks as #1, best of her generation, but that's a far cry off Graf's 377.

I am afraid once Federer, Nadal and Djokovic has retired ATP will suffer a similar fate, difficult to see who will challenge any kind of records then. Someone will emerge eventually, but it could take many years....

The "era" question I'd rather not discuss, you can't do anything more than beat your contemporaries anyway.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
I can buy both that. What I meant more is obsessed  tennis fans for certain players, not stats in general which is fun to look at.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
because tennis is an individual sport and any individual sport has these kinds of discussions........we normally don't see comparisons, or era talks in team sports like football or cricket........even in those sports, we talk about individual players.......

so tennis being a totally individual sport, the scope for such discussions is even more than in team sports.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Honestly I care more about the quality of tennis. Even though Federer lost the 2008 Wimby & 2009 AO finals, the level of tennis was out of this world. It's not always about victories. I know Nadal fans only care about winning.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
I look at it as kind of a hobby, checking stats, seeing what players are doing to get better and looking at results.

Of course the answers are all subjective, but then so would an assertion that the freezing point of water in 'normal' atmospheric conditions is zero, or that Paris is the capital city of France, i can talk you through empirical verification if you want, but subjectivity is an awareness of reality, not some negation of it, or even worse-- solipsism.
  If i were to assert that Greg Rusedski was the greatest clay court player of all time, i'ld be me with pretty much universal derision. However if i assert that Borg or Nadal are the main contenders for that particular title,  i think i'ld get pretty wide support. Now i accept a few other players names may be thrown into the ring, for example Keurten, but the contenders would be a narrow group and the main contenders would be very narrow. This implies that rather than being arbitrary impulses or mental projections of atomized individuals unable to converse beyond a recognition of the subjective, that the conversation revolves around some agreed actuality, the refinement of which, is what discussions on these kinds of boards are about.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

Of course the answers are all subjective, but then so would an assertion that the freezing point of water in 'normal' atmospheric conditions is zero, or that Paris is the capital city of France, i can talk you through empirical verification if you want, but subjectivity is an awareness of reality, not some negation of it, or even worse-- solipsism.
  If i were to assert that Greg Rusedski was the greatest clay court player of all time, i'ld be me with pretty much universal derision.

However if i assert that Borg or Nadal are the main contenders for that particular title,  i think i'ld get pretty wide support.

Now i accept a few other players names may be thrown into the ring, for example Keurten, but the contenders would be a narrow group and the main contenders would be very narrow.

This implies that rather than being arbitrary impulses or mental projections of atomized individuals unable to converse beyond a recognition of the subjective, that the conversation revolves around some agreed actuality, the refinement of which, is what discussions on these kinds of boards are about.

This has always been the way boards are.
Some will be bold and make some assertion that by most would be a point of derision but that point in itself would bring manifestation of new ideas to posters. So with that the new ideas can be related to old theories of how the poster thinks things work. He will then test out the acceptance of his new theory which doesn't always turn out the way he wanted.
This is what makes things interesting coupled with the fact that some posters won't operate solely on the logical level and want to also have status on the board, this means they'll have to abandon being totally logical so they won't lose an arguement.

Through all of this more is learned about tennis.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
My 2 cents...

People need to buy a ticket and watch all those matches that you can't see unless you're there, up close and personal. You'll get a whole new appreciation for the game and a new perspective, too! And you just might find that you like sport and not just being a fanboy.

It could happen to you!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
excellent thread.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
My 2 cents...

People need to buy a ticket and watch all those matches that you can't see unless you're there, up close and personal. You'll get a whole new appreciation for the game and a new perspective, too! And you just might find that you like sport and not just being a fanboy.
It could happen to you!
Oh Dear Lord, Heaven Forbid.

Or perhaps pick up a racquet, step on the court, and see for yourself.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Slasher1985

• Tennis God
  • Rankings Wizard
In individual sports, competitors have become the modern gladiators, heroes and warriors. People venerate those of them who achieve greatness and make themselves remarkable in their fields. Man as a species has always wanted to look up to those who are better and see them as symbols. In any public event the competitors will always be viewed as superior to the competition itself, because only they the competitors can make themselves palpable through everyone's eyes. Only the best of the best bring progress to any competition, be it sports or war, since they are the ones constantly raising the standards.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
affirmative. well said and articulated.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
My 2 cents...

It could happen to you!

Agreed with both you and MT here. Not only go watch some pro action, but play for yourself is what will also make you appreciate this magnificent and elegant sport.

Luckily I had access to many  VHS's from 70's, 80's, 90' carefully recorded by my father.
Today youtube is all you need, and yet there are still mindless fans who support one and hate the rest, caring only about glory hunting.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Those folks have a need Lugman.
The rest of us just love the game in General.
Perhaps the most demanding sport of all.
The combination of mental, physical, and technical skills required is astounding.
....and you're all alone on the court.
CONK da ball!!!