Author Topic: Just a hunch: ATP might speed up surfaces by 2015, back to the old times  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
when you look at the top 5 young/rising players (in no particular order),

1. dolgopolov

2. dimitrov

3. raonic

4. tomic

5. anderson

they all seem to be comfortable playing on faster surfaces........they are not grinders and don't seem to be intending to convert themselves into defensive baseliners........dolgopolov has already expressed his interest to play like marcelo rios and the likes of tomic, anderson and raonic have already shown promise on fast courts and now dimitrov is picking it up as well........

money obsessed ATP have no other option but to speed up the surfaces as they see their own future in those five up and coming going-to-be superstars........

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
when you look at the top 5 young/rising players (in no particular order),

1. dolgopolov

2. dimitrov

3. raonic

4. tomic

5. anderson

they all seem to be comfortable playing on faster surfaces........they are not grinders and don't seem to be intending to convert themselves into defensive baseliners........dolgopolov has already expressed his interest to play like marcelo rios and the likes of tomic, anderson and raonic have already shown promise on fast courts and now dimitrov is picking it up as well........

money obsessed ATP have no other option but to speed up the surfaces as they see their own future in those five up and coming going-to-be superstars........

Good point.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
Agreed. Especially when Uncle Toni starts coaching Jerzy Janowicz after Nadal hangs up his racquet.
He'll make all the arrangements ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
uncle toni's influence in ATP decisions is way overrated, mc.......it is ATP themselves for their own purpose of increasing their overall wealth, slowed down the surfaces to make sure that the big 4 cannot be confronted from anywhere but the back of the court.......

now that time seems to be passing........people are getting bored of big 4 winning everything.......you saw the crowd reaction in madrid last night when some unknown single hander took it to novak and won.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
uncle toni's influence in ATP decisions is way overrated, mc.......it is ATP themselves for their own purpose of increasing their overall wealth, slowed down the surfaces to make sure that the big 4 cannot be confronted from anywhere but the back of the court.......

now that time seems to be passing........people are getting bored of big 4 winning everything.......you saw the crowd reaction in madrid last night when some unknown single hander took it to novak and won.......
Madrid crowd was primitive btw. They will probably NOT see Nole there next year.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Affirmative. I'd love it.

Not only because I like offensive minded players, but that way I might find next favorite after my current faves retire, considering they are almost all well in age.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

Madrid crowd was primitive btw. They will probably NOT see Nole there next year.

Djokovic said some bad things to the crowd too, I don't want to repeat it here.

I think the Spaniards were still feeling the sting from their boy losing MC.

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
Boy, I hope you're right...  :))
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
A very interesting theory Shankman! :)
Time will tell.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
When I have time I want to look up how old Dolgopolov and Anderson are, and more importantly I want to see in whose books they are considered "rising players".

But the theory makes sense. Although, couldn't slow surfaces just mean a different group of youngsters will dominate? What difference does it make? There are young guys from all over the place. Maybe some of those young spaniards that aren't as hot on the radar now because they haven't had the most amazing junior careers will start winning slams and breakthrough once their training pays off? And the people we talk about now (Dimitrov, Raonic etc) will end up being the next Roddicks and Gasquets because they are good players but the surfaces just aren't suited to them. There'll be stars and grand slam winners regardless, just because the current crop of hopefuls seem to be tailor made for faster courts doesn't mean the ATP would cater to them, if that were the case they would never have made the courts slower from the late 2000s - why would a tournament like Indian Wells or Miami ever want to slow their courts down when you had players like Roddick, Fish, Blake as the next big things in America.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Yeah, great point, Shank! :good:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
negative.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
general shanks theory is weak at best.

I will destroy this theory tomorrow.

stay tuned sports fans.

and memo to general shanks:

get your ass back here to your tennis4you family before I have hunt you down and kick your sorry ass.

:)) :)) :))

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos

stay tuned sports fans.

get your ass back here to your tennis4you family before I have hunt you down and kick your sorry ass.

Looking forward to this herc :) Interesting thread.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
pawan you need to start hanging out a little bit at the castle too mate.

its fun. we all move around and post here too.

its still one family.

:)) :))

Offline emotion

• Tennis Player
  • I like emotional players
Anderson and Dologopolov aren't exactly young
Montaņes, Hewitt, Ferrer, Davydenko, Tipsarevic, Haas, Rochus, Becker, Melzer, Monaco, Granollers, Benneteau

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
2015 = too late for Fedster.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
When I have time I want to look up how old Dolgopolov and Anderson are, and more importantly I want to see in whose books they are considered "rising players".

But the theory makes sense. Although, couldn't slow surfaces just mean a different group of youngsters will dominate? What difference does it make? There are young guys from all over the place. Maybe some of those young spaniards that aren't as hot on the radar now because they haven't had the most amazing junior careers will start winning slams and breakthrough once their training pays off? And the people we talk about now (Dimitrov, Raonic etc) will end up being the next Roddicks and Gasquets because they are good players but the surfaces just aren't suited to them. There'll be stars and grand slam winners regardless, just because the current crop of hopefuls seem to be tailor made for faster courts doesn't mean the ATP would cater to them, if that were the case they would never have made the courts slower from the late 2000s - why would a tournament like Indian Wells or Miami ever want to slow their courts down when you had players like Roddick, Fish, Blake as the next big things in America.

about 10-12 years ago, the average fan was bored of serve fests and 1-2 finishes.......at the same time ATP saw immense potential in your fav and a young dirtballer from spain who both grew up on clay and the spaniard was already taking down RG champs like moya, costa when he was barely even 16.......they both had amazing consistency from the back but the results were on and off.......

that is when ATP slowed down the surfaces, brought the court speeds closer in pursuit of eliminating early knock outs for the rising stars from the big servers and hitters.......they could outlast most players from the back.......

indian wells and miami were never as fast as cinci or us open........and anyway roddick, blake never captured the imagination of fans as much as these two did.......mcenroe, spanish commentators started talking about nadal quite regularly as early as in 2003 and federer was talked around by most commentators ever since his win over sampras........

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:26:17 PM by Start da Game »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

stay tuned sports fans.

Lets hear it.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God

Djokovic said some bad things to the crowd too, I don't want to repeat it here.

I think the Spaniards were still feeling the sting from their boy losing MC.

djokovic thinks he needs to be loved more than any player as he's the no.1 in the world currently and i think that is nonsense........also mimicry and shirt ripping don't take you too far........

spanish behaved like butthurts that day but we shouldn't forget what novak did in the streets of madrid in 2011 after beating nadal........he is still a good guy but sometimes he tries too hard to draw extra attention........