Author Topic: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Yeah maybe they are, we'll see..

About Nole. Well I for sure know he doesn't want Haas in his way. Tommy already defeated him both times on grass, Halle and Wimbly QF.
Not to mention he has probably the best h2h vs Nole bar the top dogs.
You know, I like that answer alot! :))

Yeah I always look forward to Wimbledon and grass for that matter. Unfortunately last year Tommy faced red hot Kohli, was arguably the best match of the early rounds and there were no cameras on court  :mad1:
I knew whoever wins that match will go far, and Kohli did.

Can't wait for grass season, always brings smile to my face  :)) :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
I like all of what you said except for the last comment Lugman.
I think the top 4 are actually stronger than they've ever been (though not in the same order as years past) and think it would be quite an upset for any of them to be knocked out.

I'm liking this Jerzy Kid and Gulbis's game turns me on.
....and then of course Tommy.

That's what's cool about grass :rasta:, it doesn't seem as predictable to me.

For me, the big question is-  who's going to beat Nole?

Those two players are damn exciting, and they go for it without the fear of failing and both WILL get better.

Stay tuned.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 03:13:14 AM »
I just watched Jerzy v. Fed in Rome last night and really admire this guy's pluck. 

Berdych continues to play well and is also another 'dark horse' threat that doesn't receive much credit.  He can be a monster on court now that he's cleaned up his mental game and is in great physical condition.

Fun times ahead on the grass, though after watching Fed & Jerzy play on clay last night that wasn't so bad either.  Most points 10 strokes or less and playing within the time regs. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »
you can count on this man being in the Wimbledon final this year:

:)) :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »
I'm not counting on it, but it certainly is possible.
It will be interesting to see if he can make the switch from clay to grass as effectively as he's done in the past.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
I just watched Jerzy v. Fed in Rome last night and really admire this guy's pluck. 

Berdych continues to play well and is also another 'dark horse' threat that doesn't receive much credit.  He can be a monster on court now that he's cleaned up his mental game and is in great physical condition.

Fun times ahead on the grass, though after watching Fed & Jerzy play on clay last night that wasn't so bad either.  Most points 10 strokes or less and playing within the time regs. :))

The power hitters have added to my interest in clay.
They can hit through any court and make play more exciting.

I like the time between serves being enforced.

There was nothing more boring than watching Nadal take huge amounts of time and Djokovic bouncing the ball 21 times.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
i have a feeling del potro will do something special at this event.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder who's going to take the YEC.

For 2015?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »

It would be about time, he's only won one slam and no masters ever.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »

cooler weather in london should benefit him........remember he played a 4 hrs 30 min match against fed in the last olympics........he normally tires out in 3 hours at any other slam unless it's a night match........that's all really.......he has shown he can play on any surface........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »

cooler weather in london should benefit him........remember he played a 4 hrs 30 min match against fed in the last olympics........he normally tires out in 3 hours at any other slam unless it's a night match........that's all really.......he has shown he can play on any surface........

Shanks, his level just goes up and down.
I've seen him tire out in three setters.
If he's ready then he can go the distance but at times he lets his fitness drop.

DelPo has to be ready just in case the draw opens up, Fed has always been in peak shape just in case things go his way, he won RG that way and made countless slam finals by being ready.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »

There was nothing more boring than watching Nadal take huge amounts of time and Djokovic bouncing the ball 21 times.

there is nothing boring about nadal, fed, and nole.

did somebody forget to inform you that they alone are responsible for the sport being where it is today.

they bring home the damn bacon. look at their records if everything fails.

these are the kind of players that the history will consider the best of all time.

and if their taking a few extra seconds bore you than I would suggest that you first take a good look at yourself.

all boredom comes from within.

people unable to appreciate the current state of the sport are really missing out.

what you are seeing is something nobody in the entire history of the sport has ever been able to do.

roger has 17 which is the best in history.

nadal has 7 French opens and he takes better than 96% of his matches on clay for damn near the last 10 years. this is beyond monumental. it has never been even thought of in history much less approached. and at the current rate he is good for 2 more French opens.

nole has has 6 slams already and counting. nadal has 11 and counting. roger has 17 and counting.

Sampras has said that nole might break his record for the total number of years at #1.

so he bounces a few extra balls.

who gives a damn. who do you want watch? nole, nadal, and roger or some guy barely making it in the top 100.

the whole world is following the winners. that is the way of the world. they are the ones who are breaking new barriers and they are the ones who are bringing home the bacon.

and they are the ones who dominate all tennis discussions all over the planet.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:52:19 PM by Clay Death »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »

there is nothing boring about nadal, fed, and nole.

did somebody forget to inform you that they alone are responsible for the sport being where it is today.

they bring home the damn bacon. look at their records if everything fails.

these are the kind of players that the history will consider the best of all time.

and if their taking a few extra seconds bore you than I would suggest that you first take a good look at yourself.

all boredom comes from within.

people unable to appreciate the current state of the sport are really missing out.

what you are seeing is something nobody in the entire history of the sport has ever been able to do.

roger has 17 which is the best in history.

nadal has 7 French opens and he takes better than 96% of his matches on clay for damn near the last 10 years. this is beyond monumental. it has never been even thought of in history much less approached. and at the current rate he is good for 2 more French opens.

nole has has 6 slams already and counting. nadal has 11 and counting. roger has 17 and counting.

Sampras has said that nole might break his record for the total number of years at #1.

so he bounces a few extra balls.

who gives a damn. who do you want watch? nole, nadal, and roger or some guy barely making it in the top 100.

the whole world is following the winners. that is the way of the world. they are the ones who are breaking new barriers and they are the ones who are bringing home the bacon.

and they are the ones who dominate all tennis discussions all over the planet.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

No CD, it was boring. And it was also abuse of the rules.

When players now have long rallies they will be winded, they will have to make points shorter to match their fitness.
The ones not as fit do that now to catch a little extra rest.

The top players will still be there so what are you going on about?

The top players have already adjusted and will still be at the top.

They will do what Fed has done for years, they will have less time to bounce balls or adjust the wedgie.
Not a big deal.

Who's next?

:rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »
you better start drinking better liquor if you think it is because of lack of fitness that nadal and nole take more time.

can you even name a player more fit than nole or nadal?

are you even watching the same sport general swish?

what the hell are we going to do with you?

you can try bass fishing tournaments or you can try underwater chess. those sports might bore you less.

you are clearly in need of some help if a few extra bounces by nole or nadal trying to compose himself before a point is keeping you awake at night.

:)) :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
you better start drinking better liquor if you think it is because of lack of fitness that nadal and nole take more time.

you can try bass fishing tournaments or you can try underwater chess. those sports might bore you less.

you are clearly in need of some help if a few extra bounces by nole or nadal trying to compose himself before a point is keeping you awake at night.

The rule has changed, so no whining about it....   :cool:

If you want to stare at non moving objects you don't even need a TV, get yourself a few turtles at your nearby pet shop to look at, it won't be boring if your frame of mind is right.  :rofl_2:

Fed can finish a game in a minute and fans appreciate this.  :king:

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 03:42:37 AM »

Like losing at R1?  :rofl_2:

Olympic Bronze is his only noteworthy result on grass. He struggles with the low bounce, and I remember reading Olympics' grass was slightly different to the usual Wimbledon grass, it was shorter, thus faster, yet higher bouncing.

Btw, all of the big four seem vulnerable. I'd really love to see Tsonga-Berdych final at Wimbledon. They've had good results on grass and are maybe the best active players without a slam. Maybe they'd have a chance at Wimbledon this year.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:45:00 AM by August »

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:20 AM »

The rule has changed, so no whining about it....   :cool:

If you want to stare at non moving objects you don't even need a TV, get yourself a few turtles at your nearby pet shop to look at, it won't be boring if your frame of mind is right.  :rofl_2:

Fed can finish a game in a minute and fans appreciate this.  :king:
Nadal himself alluded to needing more time between points to recover.  Only someone who spends more time in a virtual world then the real world could have missed Nole's well documented health issues which limited his endurace.  Ignorance of the facts is to be expected in some cases.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »
negative.

nole is the fittest athlete on the planet for the last 3 years.

and nadal is just full of crap as usual.

he does not need time to recover. he needs time for his rituals and his superstitions.

uncle tony has asked him to stop several times. tony tells him that all those rituals--- which start in the locker room--- cannot and will not help his tennis.

he has become obsessive in that way. not much can be done about it since he wont even listen to his own uncle.

nole has zero fitness issues. his excessive ball bounces are for 2 reasons:

1. he is trying to calm himself down and get more composed
2. he also is trying to irritate his opponents. now this second one is just a theory.

nadal is a bloody superhuman even after having dropped some fitness compared to his own standards of the past. just go ask the players.

the man has taken 96% of the matches on clay---the most demanding of all surfaces---for nearly the last 10 years.

look at his records if everything else fails.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:18:12 AM by Clay Death »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »

Like losing at R1?  :rofl_2:

Olympic Bronze is his only noteworthy result on grass. He struggles with the low bounce, and I remember reading Olympics' grass was slightly different to the usual Wimbledon grass, it was shorter, thus faster, yet higher bouncing.

Btw, all of the big four seem vulnerable. I'd really love to see Tsonga-Berdych final at Wimbledon. They've had good results on grass and are maybe the best active players without a slam. Maybe they'd have a chance at Wimbledon this year.
on any grass, del potro can hit through nadal, djokovic, federer and murray........you can see his 4th round against rafa in 2011, he showed great signs of improvement on the surface and is not afraid to move forward........compared to AO or us open, at wimbledon it is surely much easier for del potro to penetrate the defenses of those four players........

us open has been slowed down to an idiotic level in 2011 and since then his chances at both the hardcourt slams have gone down tremendously........

tsonga and berdych have been posting good results on grass in the last few years but mentally they are not as clutch as d-pot........he has no fear playing in grandslam semis and finals........

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
you can expect Tsonga to have a good Wimbledon if he manages to have a good outing at RG.

he can fine tune his ground game a little bit on clay and also get some confidence going.

we all know he is a hard worker.