Author Topic: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations  (Read 3362 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »
negative.

nole is the fittest athlete on the planet for the last 3 years.

and nadal is just full of crap as usual.

he does not need time to recover. he needs time for his rituals and his superstitions.

uncle tony has asked him to stop several times. tony tells him that all those rituals--- which start in the locker room--- cannot and will not help his tennis.

he has become obsessive in that way. not much can be done about it since he wont even listen to his own uncle.

nole has zero fitness issues. his excessive ball bounces are for 2 reasons:

1. he is trying to calm himself down and get more composed
2. he also is trying to irritate his opponents. now this second one is just a theory.

nadal is a bloody superhuman even after having dropped some fitness compared to his own standards of the past. just go ask the players.

the man has taken 96% of the matches on clay---the most demanding of all surfaces---for nearly the last 10 years.
look at his records if everything else fails.
All those matches carry an asterisk beside them for stalling.....

I too believe he is extremely fit and never understood the reasoning behind his delay tactics.  If anything, I would think he'd play faster to punish his opponents and give his fitness even more weight in the match.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
like I said before, he is only trying to compose himself. this irritates his opponents which kills 2 birds with a single stone.

same with nadal. he has his rituals. and they start before he even gets to his locker room. that has nothing to do with stalling. his crap starts at home or his hotel room.

its not gamesmanship. he is just obsessed with his damn rituals and his superstitions.

if anything, his opponents can rest when he does it on the court. he can play for 6 hours and they cannot.

he can dominate clay for 10 long years and take every important title under the sun on clay which is the most demanding of all surfaces.

and the fact that he can do it with 1/2 the game of somebody like roger has and also while almost always being injured tells me that the damn fool is nothing short of superhuman. he is the mother of all physical specimens.

nobody in the sport has ever been blessed with that much physical prowess and attributes.

he is in the same league with Miguel indurain. they were both born with massive vo2max. it does decline as you hit 27 so you have to try to keep it up.

nadal and nole are not hurting for stamina and physical attributes.

and the world has no choice. they have to accept them as they are for they are the reason why the sport is where it is. they are the draw and they bring him the bacon.

roger, nole, and nadal have lifted the sport higher than it has ever been lifted before. their impact on the sport will last forever and ever.

they alone made it a global phenomenon that it is now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:52:37 PM by Clay Death »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
We don't have to worry about the waiting game anymore, the chair will put a stop to it.
The tennis world gives a bloody thanks.  :)>>>>

So there's nothing more to discuss about it.  :gleam:

I'm curious about Del Potro's performance on grass this year, if the guy can get healthy.

Then there's Gulbis, I was a fan of his for a couple years then with all his bull I dropped him.
But now I'm back on his wagon, he has the game on clay to take anyone down. Should have taken Nadal down easily but doesn't know when to back off his pace a little.
He's improving by the tournament and is getting comfortable with the forehand.

Jerzy I have no idea of his grass game, he could turn out to be like a gazelle on ice or a very good mover on the surface.
His power should have the best running like hell.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
 :coffee:

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
:coffee:

CD, half your posts are smileys :rofl_2: Say something constructive  :)~

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
 :)) :)) :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 01:13:21 AM »
Murray pulled out of Roland Garros with his back/hip problem.

Federer's chances to take a historic 8th Wimbledon title just went up.

1. Murray might not play Wimbledon, or if he does, he'll lack the solid ground game preparation that going deep in clay tournaments gives one.

2. Now there is at least a 50% chance that Federer will meet Nadal in the RG semifinal depending on the draw.
I think if they are drawn on the same side, Federer will probably exit Roland Garros by the QF, giving him a little extra rest before Halle and Wimbledon.  If drawn on different sides, there is a slight chance that Federer can make it to the RG final.

3. Djokovic and Nadal may play another 2 day final, or 6 hours in one day.  The time rule is not enforced at ITF events, yet.  This could also help Federer at Wimbledon.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:35 AM »
like I said before, he is only trying to compose himself. this irritates his opponents which kills 2 birds with a single stone.

same with nadal. he has his rituals. and they start before he even gets to his locker room. that has nothing to do with stalling. his crap starts at home or his hotel room.

its not gamesmanship. he is just obsessed with his damn rituals and his superstitions.

if anything, his opponents can rest when he does it on the court. he can play for 6 hours and they cannot.

he can dominate clay for 10 long years and take every important title under the sun on clay which is the most demanding of all surfaces.

and the fact that he can do it with 1/2 the game of somebody like roger has and also while almost always being injured tells me that the damn fool is nothing short of superhuman. he is the mother of all physical specimens.

nobody in the sport has ever been blessed with that much physical prowess and attributes.

he is in the same league with Miguel indurain. they were both born with massive vo2max. it does decline as you hit 27 so you have to try to keep it up.

nadal and nole are not hurting for stamina and physical attributes.

and the world has no choice. they have to accept them as they are for they are the reason why the sport is where it is. they are the draw and they bring him the bacon.

roger, nole, and nadal have lifted the sport higher than it has ever been lifted before. their impact on the sport will last forever and ever.

they alone made it a global phenomenon that it is now.
Like I said, an asterisk before every win.
It irritates both fans and opponents regardless of the cause.
Strange how a physical specimen unlike any the world has ever known is constantly injured, quite often seriously.

Indeed, these 3 have raised the bar.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »

1. Murray might not play Wimbledon, or if he does, he'll lack the solid ground game preparation that going deep in clay tournaments gives one.

2. Now there is at least a 50% chance that Federer will meet Nadal in the RG semifinal depending on the draw.
I think if they are drawn on the same side, Federer will probably exit Roland Garros by the QF, giving him a little extra rest before Halle and Wimbledon.  If drawn on different sides, there is a slight chance that Federer can make it to the RG final.

3. Djokovic and Nadal may play another 2 day final, or 6 hours in one day.  The time rule is not enforced at ITF events, yet.  This could also help Federer at Wimbledon.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Masterclass The Valiant, attempting to drag the thread back on topic!  Nicely done. :))

Isn't it amazing how the man-girl Federer just keeps going and going despite his frail appearance? :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:30 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

roger has a good chance to be in the final at RG also general masterclass. it all depends on the draw.

:)) :))

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
Affirmative general...  but since this thread is about Wimbledon (as monster clearly reaffirmed), I would prefer to talk as little as possible about Roger's chances at RG... ;)

A QF or SF at RG + Halle should be more than enough preparation for Federer at Wimbledon.

Here is a trivia question...

Who was the last person whose first title of the year was winning Wimbledon?
(Hint: It was also his only title of that year)

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:40:07 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass
Masterclass The Valiant, attempting to drag the thread back on topic!  Nicely done. :))

Isn't it amazing how the man-girl Federer just keeps going and going despite his frail appearance? :rofl_2:

I think he took offense to your comment and cut off his beautiful locks of hair for a manlier appearence. Way to go monster. Speaking of which..

4. The aerodynamics offered by the new haircut will help him move up to the net quicker and provide forward momentum to stick his volleys better. Just as elite runners train with a parachute to induce drag and get stronger, Federer's hair all along was just a tool to create an extra challenge. Now that it's gone, he's stronger.

In all seriousness though masterclass, I have a hard time believing that top players ever PLAN or intend to "Exit at the QF" of big events , regardless of what's next in their schedule and such. It might be a different story if they happen to be trailing 2 sets and a break down  but I don't think any top player plays a match not to win or a tournament not to win.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
Affirmative general...  but since this thread is about Wimbledon (as monster clearly reaffirmed), I would prefer to talk as little as possible about Roger's chances at RG... ;)

A QF or SF at RG + Halle should be more than enough preparation for Federer at Wimbledon.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Hm, probably Ivanišević..?
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

Hm, probably Ivanišević..?

Correct! Congrats!
And ranked #125, he was the lowest ranked player and only wild card to win Wimbledon.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Yeah cheers, I remember that Wimbledon very well, just wasn't sure if he won anything that year.

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

I think he took offense to your comment and cut off his beautiful locks of hair for a manlier appearence. Way to go monster. Speaking of which..

4. The aerodynamics offered by the new haircut will help him move up to the net quicker and provide forward momentum to stick his volleys better. Just as elite runners train with a parachute to induce drag and get stronger, Federer's hair all along was just a tool to create an extra challenge. Now that it's gone, he's stronger.

In all seriousness though masterclass, I have a hard time believing that top players ever PLAN or intend to "Exit at the QF" of big events , regardless of what's next in their schedule and such. It might be a different story if they happen to be trailing 2 sets and a break down  but I don't think any top player plays a match not to win or a tournament not to win.

Perhaps you are right pawan89, but I think Federer has done enough in his career that he can afford to play his matches, tournaments and the whole season strategically, and I suspect he has at times, especially as he has gotten older.  Of course, if he can, he will put himself in a position to win should things go unexpectedly with the other players, but if the expected occurs, could it be that he may just decide to play a certain way to achieve a strategic longer term goal?

There were indications last year from his camp prior to RG, that as long as he made it to the semifinal at RG, with Nadal winning RG,  and made it to the final at Halle and won Wimbledon, he would be #1.  So what happened?  At RG, he played very patiently and hard to beat Del Potro in 5 to make it to the semifinals. Then as I recall, Nadal beat Ferrer in the first semifinal, thus assuring Rafa's final appearance, and then Federer played Djokovic, where Roger played super aggressively, hit or miss tennis, and missed a lot more than he made.  Djokovic had very little control of a match he won.  Then Djokovic and Nadal went on to play a two day match, while Federer got some extra rest prior to Halle.

At Halle, Federer made it to the final and played his good friend Tommy Haas.  There were some winks and grins seen between Mirka and others in their box, even as Federer was losing to Haas.  Federer himself said in his post match press conference he was extremely happy Tommy won.  Was it a gift?  Only a small circle would know for sure, and would probably never admit it.  Then straight away after that statement about him being happy about Tommy winning Halle, Federer told the German press that he felt he would be difficult to beat at Wimbledon (click on Watch it Now). 

We know the rest; Federer won Wimbledon, and was 75 points in front at #1.
But maybe I'm reading too much into things and Federer is not the master planner I believe him to be... ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

Perhaps you are right pawan89, but I think Federer has done enough in his career that he can afford to play his matches, tournaments and the whole season strategically, and I suspect he has at times, especially as he has gotten older.  Of course, if he can, he will put himself in a position to win should things go unexpectedly with the other players, but if the expected occurs, could it be that he may just decide to play a certain way to achieve a strategic longer term goal?

There were indications last year from his camp prior to RG, that as long as he made it to the semifinal at RG, with Nadal winning RG,  and made it to the final at Halle and won Wimbledon, he would be #1.  So what happened?  At RG, he played very patiently and hard to beat Del Potro in 5 to make it to the semifinals. Then as I recall, Nadal beat Ferrer in the first semifinal, thus assuring Rafa's final appearance, and then Federer played Djokovic, where Roger played super aggressively, hit or miss tennis, and missed a lot more than he made.  Djokovic had very little control of a match he won.  Then Djokovic and Nadal went on to play a two day match, while Federer got some extra rest prior to Halle.

At Halle, Federer made it to the final and played his good friend Tommy Haas.  There were some winks and grins seen between Mirka and others in their box, even as Federer was losing to Haas.  Federer himself said in his post match press conference he was extremely happy Tommy won.  Was it a gift?  Only a small circle would know for sure, and would probably never admit it.  Then straight away after that statement about him being happy about Tommy winning Halle, Federer told the German press that he felt he would be difficult to beat at Wimbledon (click on Watch it Now). 

But maybe I'm reading too much into things and Federer is not the master planner I believe him to be... ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

In Fed's quest to make #1 the tournaments were planned perfectly.
He knows he'd have a tough time to make it to #1 by just winning everything now.

But he can do relatively poorer for a stretch this year, and won't have much to defend the following year.

He can target any 12 month stretch where he can outperform the others and get #1 again.

He did this the last time when Djokovic didn't rack up a lot of points late in 2011, at the time Fed was playing a pretty heavy schedule, he knew he had a chance for #1 again.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2013, 12:06:09 PM »
I can't agree more Sir Swish.  If he can stay relatively healthy, I think Roger has implied that his plan is to be back on top in 2014.

I believe Rafael Nadal can get to #1 this year if he can stay relatively healthy and play most of the year.  He is already #1 in the Race if I'm reading Sir Slasher's rankings right.  Once he wins Roland Garros, everything else he gets is gravy this year.   

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

That's really interesting. I didn't think about it that way - if Federer really had nothing to lose against Djokovic and did play super aggressive, just to see where things go and lost it, that's quite the opposite of what he did in 2011 where he played excellent defense and very patient and controlled aggressive tennis to beat Djokovic in the Semis. I still can't accept that any top player would play to lose but I can see how they might play with a little less to lose at certain stages of some events, like the example you provided with Federer and Djokovic at the Semis last year.

However, I still have trouble agreeing that he would give up the title to Tommy in Halle - it's not like he gained any extra time to recover, he had to play the match anyway and it was the finals of the tournament that he was expected to win, the favourite to win, AND it was grass which is perfect for his warmup to Wimbledon. If he had to play 5 matches at Halle, why not just win it? Or rather, why do anything less than try your best to win if you are going to play the final weekend anyway? Why the relaxed attitude one week away from Wimbledon while prepping for it, on grass, and playing a final that'll only get him more points and closer to his goal of the #1 ranking? That definitely does not sit well with me as support of the argument above.

But point taken, I guess it is reasonable to assume that at some point the top players might think ahead and not necessarily give it their all when there isn't much to gain.  :)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
Tommy and Fed are indeed great and close friends. Especially right after Tommy got his 1st child.

Having said that it is only natural for them to be happy for the other. Both players are praising their results, and are huge admires in more ways besides records and trophies.
So I really don't think it was a gift at Halle. Tommy simply wanted it more and delivered. Fed even having huge advantage in h2h's vs Tommy, he knows almost all of their matches were close and he knows Tommy is a real threat, especially on grass.

TOMMY HAAS