Author Topic: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations  (Read 4304 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
Tommy and Fed are indeed great and close friends. Especially right after Tommy got his 1st child.

Having said that it is only natural for them to be happy for the other. Both players are praising their results, and are huge admires in more ways besides records and trophies.
So I really don't think it was a gift at Halle. Tommy simply wanted it more and delivered. Fed even having huge advantage in h2h's vs Tommy, he knows almost all of their matches were close and he knows Tommy is a real threat, especially on grass.

Yep. I don't think Fed necessarily gifted it to Tommy, Haas just played a good match and took it. Fed might not have played with the same urgency as he would a Wimbledon final against Nadal but still, I highly doubted he went into that match with anything but victory in mind.

And Tommy has played Federer close on Clay as well, in fact much closer on clay than grass if I am not wrong. He was a couple points from victory in one of the epic matches they played at the French Open, 2009 maybe, or 2010, I don't recall.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
Tommy and Fed are indeed great and close friends. Especially right after Tommy got his 1st child.

Having said that it is only natural for them to be happy for the other. Both players are praising their results, and are huge admires in more ways besides records and trophies.
So I really don't think it was a gift at Halle. Tommy simply wanted it more and delivered. Fed even having huge advantage in h2h's vs Tommy, he knows almost all of their matches were close and he knows Tommy is a real threat, especially on grass.

Yep. I don't think Fed necessarily gifted it to Tommy, Haas just played a good match and took it. Fed might not have played with the same urgency as he would a Wimbledon final against Nadal but still, I highly doubted he went into that match with anything but victory in mind.

And Tommy has played Federer close on Clay as well, in fact much closer on clay than grass if I am not wrong. He was a couple points from victory in one of the epic matches they played at the French Open, 2009 maybe, or 2010, I don't recall.

Exactly, It was back in 2009 when Fed hit that monstrous FH on the line while being down 2 sets and 4-5 on BP if I remember well.

Fed might not have played with the same urgency as he would a Wimbledon final against Nadal but still, I highly doubted he went into that match with anything but victory in mind.
Spot on.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
In all seriousness though masterclass, I have a hard time believing that top players ever PLAN or intend to "Exit at the QF" of big events , regardless of what's next in their schedule and such. It might be a different story if they happen to be trailing 2 sets and a break down  but I don't think any top player plays a match not to win or a tournament not to win.

Perhaps you are right pawan89, but I think Federer has done enough in his career that he can afford to play his matches, tournaments and the whole season strategically, and I suspect he has at times, especially as he has gotten older.  Of course, if he can, he will put himself in a position to win should things go unexpectedly with the other players, but if the expected occurs, could it be that he may just decide to play a certain way to achieve a strategic longer term goal?

There were indications last year from his camp prior to RG, that as long as he made it to the semifinal at RG, with Nadal winning RG,  and made it to the final at Halle and won Wimbledon, he would be #1.  So what happened?  At RG, he played very patiently and hard to beat Del Potro in 5 to make it to the semifinals. Then as I recall, Nadal beat Ferrer in the first semifinal, thus assuring Rafa's final appearance, and then Federer played Djokovic, where Roger played super aggressively, hit or miss tennis, and missed a lot more than he made.  Djokovic had very little control of a match he won.  Then Djokovic and Nadal went on to play a two day match, while Federer got some extra rest prior to Halle.

At Halle, Federer made it to the final and played his good friend Tommy Haas.  There were some winks and grins seen between Mirka and others in their box, even as Federer was losing to Haas.  Federer himself said in his post match press conference he was extremely happy Tommy won.  Was it a gift?  Only a small circle would know for sure, and would probably never admit it.  Then straight away after that statement about him being happy about Tommy winning Halle, Federer told the German press that he felt he would be difficult to beat at Wimbledon (click on Watch it Now). 

We know the rest; Federer won Wimbledon, and was 75 points in front at #1.
But maybe I'm reading too much into things and Federer is not the master planner I believe him to be... ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

That's really interesting. I didn't think about it that way - if Federer really had nothing to lose against Djokovic and did play super aggressive, just to see where things go and lost it, that's quite the opposite of what he did in 2011 where he played excellent defense and very patient and controlled aggressive tennis to beat Djokovic in the Semis. I still can't accept that any top player would play to lose but I can see how they might play with a little less to lose at certain stages of some events, like the example you provided with Federer and Djokovic at the Semis last year.

However, I still have trouble agreeing that he would give up the title to Tommy in Halle - it's not like he gained any extra time to recover, he had to play the match anyway and it was the finals of the tournament that he was expected to win, the favourite to win, AND it was grass which is perfect for his warmup to Wimbledon. If he had to play 5 matches at Halle, why not just win it? Or rather, why do anything less than try your best to win if you are going to play the final weekend anyway? Why the relaxed attitude one week away from Wimbledon while prepping for it, on grass, and playing a final that'll only get him more points and closer to his goal of the #1 ranking? That definitely does not sit well with me as support of the argument above.

But point taken, I guess it is reasonable to assume that at some point the top players might think ahead and not necessarily give it their all when there isn't much to gain.  :)

I agree that once reaching the final, winning in Halle would probably not have affected his physical status or anything else like that.
I think he knew that it made no difference in his rankings whether he won or lost the final in Halle, and I personally think he didn't go all out to beat Tommy.  It's just a sense I had watching the match, and the reactions his team had, and his own reactions following the match.

I may be completely wrong, of course.  :)   In any case, he certainly did live up to his rather bold statement about being difficult to beat at Wimbledon.  Some might call it arrogant...to come out and say that.  I just call it honest and confident.  The humble motif doesn't work for everyone. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »
I can't agree more Sir Swish.  If he can stay relatively healthy, I think Roger has implied that his plan is to be back on top in 2014.

I believe Rafael Nadal can get to #1 this year if he can stay relatively healthy and play most of the year.  He is already #1 in the Race if I'm reading Sir Slasher's rankings right.  Once he wins Roland Garros, everything else he gets is gravy this year.   

Respectfully,
masterclass

I don't think Nadal can make #1, maybe he will try to do some damage in the second half of the year.
Djokovic I have the feeling is about ready to really push hard, he did win at MC and the AO so can up his game when he wants.

At Rome he didn't seem to be taking things seriously, could be that the ankle was not quite right and he didn't want to push the situation.
Djokovic has been pretty smart about his scheduling and won't take chances when not needed.
He seems to have taken a page out of Fed's book there.

Offline Escude

• Tennis Player
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
Hey fellas

watch out for Dimitrov at Wimbledon this year i say

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
Hey fellas

who are you?
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Hey fellas

That's a joke? 

Guy is no where near the top guns. Give him a year or two if he works hard.

Offline Escude

• Tennis Player
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
Sampras and Federer won 1st Wimbledon crowns at 21 years old... and in year that ended in 3

1993, 2003, 2013

21 year old DIMITROV is the name!

you will see

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
Sampras and Federer won 1st Wimbledon crowns at 21 years old... and in year that ended in 3

1993, 2003, 2013

you will see

I'll be watching.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

1993, 2003, 2013

you will see

Wow. Love the logic. That'd be amazing if it happens.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

1993, 2003, 2013

you will see

Wow. Love the logic. That'd be amazing if it happens.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
Dimitrov is talented. However he can't last in the best of 5, no way. He has to drastically improve his fitness. plus this guy hasn't won anything, nada, zilch ... why would I think that suddenly he'll play well at Wimbledon? I don't think so. That spoiled brat Tomic is a much better grass player than Grisha.

Offline Escude

• Tennis Player
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
Hey Alex mate  :welcome2:

Feldman here

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Hey Alex mate  :welcome2:

Feldman here
Mickey, so good to see you here  :friends:.  I didn't realize it was you, but I've been 'slow' lately  :). Bud, you've been missed on MTF. We tried everything to unban you, but it didn't work out.  I think you'll like it here. Everyone gets along pretty well.  You can joke as much as you want to. you do have a great sense of humor. You can even troll if you wish, nobody is taking anybody seriously  :)).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:12:19 PM by Alex »

Offline Escude

• Tennis Player
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
Thks bro, great to see you once again

is nothing anyone can do about MTF, it's been taken over by ppl who have an I.Q level not acceptable to a monkey.

come hang out over in the castle thread

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
Hey fellas

who are you?
Corey Feldman (Mickey) from MTF. He got banned too. He'd say the funniest sh!t about Nole pretending he hates him, but I never bought it. We got along really well despite the fact we like different players. Mikey is a big Fed/Murray fan.

So, I ask all of you b!tches to behave and welcome him to tennis4you.  :))
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:13:09 PM by Alex »

Offline DrJules

• Tennis Player
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
Before the back problem, Murray was my pick to win Wimbledon after coming so close last year, then winning the Olympics at Wimbledon and breaking his GS runner up problem at the US Open.  After all, before RG this year, he had reached 3 successive GS in a row.

Now feeling Nadal the most likely; the knees probably will handle grass well.

Djokovic is the least comfortable of the top 4 on grass, prefers firm footing and higher bounce, and Federer is probably slightly past the level necessary to win successive big matches, but could upset one of the top 4 players.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
excellent post dr jules.

still nole has proven that he can win Wimbledon. he will be one of the favorites there.

here are my 3 favorites:

1. roger
2. nole
3. clay warrior

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Before the back problem, Murray was my pick to win Wimbledon after coming so close last year, then winning the Olympics at Wimbledon and breaking his GS runner up problem at the US Open.  After all, before RG this year, he had reached 3 successive GS in a row.

Now feeling Nadal the most likely; the knees probably will handle grass well.

Djokovic is the least comfortable of the top 4 on grass, prefers firm footing and higher bounce, and Federer is probably slightly past the level necessary to win successive big matches, but could upset one of the top 4 players.
Hey DrJules, good to see you posting here. Welcome  :). Murray's back should be fine for Wimbledon.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
welcome to the forums dr jules.

:)) :))