Author Topic: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
Re: Early 2013 Wimbledon speculations
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »
I can't agree more Sir Swish.  If he can stay relatively healthy, I think Roger has implied that his plan is to be back on top in 2014.

I believe Rafael Nadal can get to #1 this year if he can stay relatively healthy and play most of the year.  He is already #1 in the Race if I'm reading Sir Slasher's rankings right.  Once he wins Roland Garros, everything else he gets is gravy this year.   

Respectfully,
masterclass

I don't think Nadal can make #1, maybe he will try to do some damage in the second half of the year.
Djokovic I have the feeling is about ready to really push hard, he did win at MC and the AO so can up his game when he wants.

At Rome he didn't seem to be taking things seriously, could be that the ankle was not quite right and he didn't want to push the situation.
Djokovic has been pretty smart about his scheduling and won't take chances when not needed.
He seems to have taken a page out of Fed's book there.

I think he can do it simply because all he can do is gain massive amounts of points after RG. If he makes a couple finals, maybe even takes Wimbledon or the US, or a Master's tourney or two, he'll be number 1.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:35 AM »
I can't agree more Sir Swish.  If he can stay relatively healthy, I think Roger has implied that his plan is to be back on top in 2014.

I believe Rafael Nadal can get to #1 this year if he can stay relatively healthy and play most of the year.  He is already #1 in the Race if I'm reading Sir Slasher's rankings right.  Once he wins Roland Garros, everything else he gets is gravy this year.   

Respectfully,
masterclass

I don't think Nadal can make #1, maybe he will try to do some damage in the second half of the year.
Djokovic I have the feeling is about ready to really push hard, he did win at MC and the AO so can up his game when he wants.

At Rome he didn't seem to be taking things seriously, could be that the ankle was not quite right and he didn't want to push the situation.
Djokovic has been pretty smart about his scheduling and won't take chances when not needed.
He seems to have taken a page out of Fed's book there.

I think he can do it simply because all he can do is gain massive amounts of points after RG. If he makes a couple finals, maybe even takes Wimbledon or the US, or a Master's tourney or two, he'll be number 1.

Nadal leads the race. http://live-tennis.eu/race

And has nothing to defend after Wimbledon.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
Yeah, Nadal's had one heck of a year. I dunno why people have been so down on him. Only 2 losses, one being to Djoker ain't bad. He's played, what, 8 tourneys since he's been back? 2 finals and 6 wins, 3 of those wins being Master's, as well as one of the finals. That is by no means something to shrug at.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
i am still not happy with the clay warrior.

:)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Yeah, Nadal's had one heck of a year. I dunno why people have been so down on him. Only 2 losses, one being to Djoker ain't bad. He's played, what, 8 tourneys since he's been back? 2 finals and 6 wins, 3 of those wins being Master's, as well as one of the finals. That is by no means something to shrug at.

No ones down on him, or shouldn't be. He has come back storming.

It will be a war if Nadal and Djokovic meet, they both want RG badly.  :)>>>>

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 12:42:39 AM »
 :)) :))

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how much Nadal would play post-wimbledon !! He has already expressed his concern over hardcourt tournaments & All the tournaments are hardcourt Tournaments. I suppose his main priorities will be US open & World Tour Finals.

If he plays more, he can surely get to #1, but then, the knee problem could occur again.

Any guesses on how many tournaments will nadal play after Wimbledon ??  :)) :)
I am guessing at 6-7 !
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2013, 02:45:42 AM »
He's already announced Basel. And he's obviously going to play the USO and WTF. So that's at least 3. I could see him gunning for the Master's tourneys he hasn't yet won, so I could see him playing Cincy, Shanghai, and Paris. So that would bring him to 6. Maybe pepper in another tourney or two for good measure. So I'd say 6-7 isn't a bad assumption. Maybe 8.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
excellent post dr jules.

still nole has proven that he can win Wimbledon. he will be one of the favorites there.

here are my 3 favorites:

1. dynamitrov
2. nole
3. clay warrior

I agree CD.  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
He is not getting anywhere near #1 because  Djokovic is still around. Novak is playing better tennis plus he is in Nadal's head. Rafa admitted it himself, he is afraid of Djokovic. Sorry Rafa fans that I'm so blunt but it is what it is. 

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Even if Djoker were to beat Nadal every time they play (not happening, sorry), that wouldn't really even do anything about preventing him from getting to number 1. Nole's got tons of points to defend. Nadal has zip, zilch, nada, none after Wimbledon's first round. Honestly, Djoker will be lucky to even to make it to the semis to play Nadal the way he's been playing on clay as of late.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Even if Djoker were to beat Nadal every time they play (not happening, sorry), that wouldn't really even do anything about preventing him from getting to number 1. Nole's got tons of points to defend. Nadal has zip, zilch, nada, none after Wimbledon's first round. Honestly, Djoker will be lucky to even to make it to the semis to play Nadal the way he's been playing on clay as of late.
whatever dude, uh, oh. that's your wishful thinking. Nadal is not beating Djokovic anywhere especially on HC. Be afraid, be very afraid, Nadal is  :)>>>>

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Losing to Dimitrov and Berdych? The same Berdych that was then slaughtered by Nadal the next round? Yeah. If he can't handle Berdych or Dimitrov, I don't see it being any different here. He even had the element of fitness over both of them (especially a cramping, lackluster fitness Dimitrov going into a third set) and still couldn't beat them.

If Nole gets to the semis, Rafa will eat him alive. And probably at Wimbledon as well. HC, you probably have a point. We'll see, though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:16:05 PM by Rafa816 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
Losing to Dimitrov and Berdych? The same Berdych that was then slaughtered by Nadal the next round? Yeah. If he can't handle Berdych or Dimitrov, I don't see it being any different here. He even had the element of fitness over both of them (especially a cramping, lackluster fitness Dimitrov going into a third set) and still couldn't beat them.

If Nole gets to the semis, Rafa will eat him alive. And probably at Wimbledon as well. HC, you probably have a point. We'll see, though.
Dimirtrov, Berdych, Rome and Madrid are completely irrelevant in for Novak this year. The most important win was in MC when he trashed Nadal. I know it, Rafa knows it ... you should know that too  ;-()

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
MC was the same story as the French third set last year. They played MC right after it had rained. Those conditions favor Djoker. This was proven by the fact that the second set was so much closer to the first. Also, look at Rafa MC-version and Rafa Rome-version. No one would deny that Rafa's much more in form now. The match play against so many high level players in MC, Madrid, and Rome that he didn't have in those baby tourneys (obviously barring IW) has helped him reach his previous form. Djoker, on the other hand, seems to have only gotten worse since MC.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Rafa186, you need to understand that I love trolling from time to time and say whatever I feel at the moment just for fun. You being relatively new here ... you don't know me too well. I go to the Roger thread and say something about Roger to piss everyone off but people know me and they laugh.

I firmly believe that Nadal and Djokovic are favorites to win RG and I do give a slight advantage to Rafa. but it's a small margin. Novak is very capable of def. Rafa anywhere and I mean it. We'll have to wait and see.
cheers bro

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
Rafa186, you need to understand that I love trolling from time to time and say whatever I feel at the moment just for fun. You being relatively new here ... you don't know me too well. I go to the Roger thread and say something about Roger to piss everyone off but people know me and they laugh.

I firmly believe that Nadal and Djokovic are favorites to win RG and I do give a slight advantage to Rafa. but it's a small margin. Novak is very capable of def. Rafa anywhere and I mean it. We'll have to wait and see.
cheers bro

Yes you troll but I got so used to it that it isn't really noticeable.

How's Djokovic's ankle, I guess no news is good news.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »

cheers bro

well, let's put it this way ... If Nole wins RG, ankle is fine ... if he loses than it's because of his ankle . it's a win win situation for me  :)~ :king:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »

cheers bro

well, let's put it this way ... If Nole wins RG, ankle is fine ... if he loses than it's because of his ankle . it's a win win situation for me  :)~ :king:

Sounds like a Nadal fan.  ://

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »

cheers bro

Well, I'm very trollable because I love debating about tennis like that. Rafa vs. Nole is the new Rafa vs. Fed, which was the new Sampras vs. Agassi. It's always fun to have those kinda debates, so when you bring it up like that, I just lap it up  :)~