Federer
4 (19%)
Berlocq
2 (9.5%)
Other
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 09, 2013, 01:59:44 PM

Author Topic: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam Roland Garros (May 21-June 9) Draw in post #2  (Read 21581 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam Roland Garros (May 21-June 9) Draw in post #2
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Berdych gets the 4th set TB. On to the final set. I really like Monfils who's playing remarkable tennis btw and what a match so far, but at the same time, hating the fact that this sort of match is happening so early in the tournament.

I didn't see this match but it looks like it was tension filled.

I like Monfils too, he's played so poorly of late that the result is a surprise.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
Berdych lost. Thought Monfils pulled a bit of gamesmanship at 5-4, 40-15 after serving a double fault. He couldn't walk or so it seemed; next thing you know, not only he catches Berdych by surprise by breaking him immediately but also, winning the match right away.

I am still happy for Monfils since I like him a great deal and this win will give him a lot of confidence back, but I am also sad to see Berdych go out this early. I guess will have to pull for Gulbis from this qtr. I like him too but a long path in front him. Time to shine though. Prefer him over Dimitrov on any given day.

I like Berdych and thought he'd have gotten through fairly easily considering Monfils is famously unreliable (something Berdych has been doing a good job of fixing the last 2-3 years) and injured/off-the-radar for the most part, and is also famous for not being able to finish off matches he should win.. and it's the FRENCH open, so any French player is by default, NOT the favourite in any match  ..-)

Oh and I believe Berdych was like 5-0 h2h against Monfils prior to his match. But he lost. Oh well. At least now I don't have to worry about who to pick in the second round of Berdych vs. Gulbis, I am all for Gulbis now. Nothing against Monfils but Gulbis has a potential future, something Monfils laid to waste about 5 years ago.

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
Berdych lost. Thought Monfils pulled a bit of gamesmanship at 5-4, 40-15 after serving a double fault. He couldn't walk or so it seemed; next thing you know, not only he catches Berdych by surprise by breaking him immediately but also, winning the match right away.

I am still happy for Monfils since I like him a great deal and this win will give him a lot of confidence back, but I am also sad to see Berdych go out this early. I guess will have to pull for Gulbis from this qtr. I like him too but a long path in front him. Time to shine though. Prefer him over Dimitrov on any given day.

I like Berdych and thought he'd have gotten through fairly easily considering Monfils is famously unreliable (something Berdych has been doing a good job of fixing the last 2-3 years) and injured/off-the-radar for the most part, and is also famous for not being able to finish off matches he should win.. and it's the FRENCH open, so any French player is by default, NOT the favourite in any match  ..-)

Oh and I believe Berdych was like 5-0 h2h against Monfils prior to his match. But he lost. Oh well. At least now I don't have to worry about who to pick in the second round of Berdych vs. Gulbis, I am all for Gulbis now. Nothing against Monfils but Gulbis has a potential future, something Monfils laid to waste about 5 years ago.

But Monfils is actually younger than Gulbis  :whistle:

Offline Orange Wombat

• Tennis God
  • Welcome to T4U!
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
Fantastic match between Nieminen and Mathieu btw. I didn't catch the Berd-Monf match. Maybe there will be a replay or highlights.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »

You forget this was a first round match and Berdych is quite vulnerable in these early rounds. Please check his history. He tends to get better as he moves along. And Monfils had been waiting for a match like this. Against Berdych in front of the home crowd? He couldn't have asked for more frankly. He lives for matches like this where he can show off a bit. He served out of his mind today. He raised his level to the highest form to beat Berdych. He's more than likely to fizzle out in the next round. Not only it was a long match today, which must have taken a lot out of him, but also, he won't feel the same need there. His next opponent is also not as big as Berdych.

Monfils' been in and out the last two years with injuries but still, he's very unpredictable and that will always go against him. Gulbis is in form right now and feeling confident as well, so let's see.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
I'm in shock that Berdych lost this match. Gael's form has been horrible this year, Berdych is a much better player, wow .... Monfils served out of his mind, that's the major reason he won IMO. I don't think Monfils will go too far. This is a good news for Fed fans.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
Berdych gets the 4th set TB. On to the final set. I really like Monfils who's playing remarkable tennis btw and what a match so far, but at the same time, hating the fact that this sort of match is happening so early in the tournament.

I didn't see this match but it looks like it was tension filled.

I like Monfils too, he's played so poorly of late that the result is a surprise.

I was lucky to see this match. I've had taken the day off so it allowed me to watch a bit of tennis today.

I actually miss the meat part of the Nadal/Brands match (the first two sets) as I was still asleep, but was able to catch the 3rd and 4th sets. It was all downhill from there though.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Aside from Dimitrov being the clear favourite to win RG (anyone with any brains should be able to agree with this..)  here are a couple thoughts from my end.

Ryan Harrison won a match! And will now face Isner in the second round. Upshot? At least one American into third round at RG. I hope it's Harrison, probably won't happen. Kid needs to take half a year off and just move to Europe and play on clay if he wants a good future. Raonic, Dimitrov, Gulbis and all are making big strides and have more weapons than Harrison does AND seem to be more consistent.

Another American youngster I want to see more of: Jack Scok, but he's up against Spaniard GGL so probably a straight set loss.

Nadal d. Brands, good win. He played a bunch of different kind of players in Rome, I think he's in great form. A set here and there is the most anyone can manage against Nadal anyway.

Djokovic vs. Goffin. I like Goffin, wish he had a slightly better draw. I hope he gets to take a set or two off Novak at least.

Paire vs. Baghdatis. I used to like Baghdatis, well still do, but Paire is on the upswing and is interesting, here's hoping he can make a few rounds to play Nishikori and Nadal.

Looking forward to a Gasquet vs. Wawrinka fourth round and hopefully an interesting QF with one of those two vs. Nadal.

I have given my thoughts about Monfils d. Berdych. I think Berdych should have won but what can you do, chalk it up to an off day and an unpredictable but inspired opponent. At least now I can openly root for Gulbis to make the Quarters from this portion.

Raonic has a good shot at making the fourth round here and possibly play Ferrer. We'll see how his ground game holds up, over the next two rounds he'll have to play Llodra and Anderson, neither of whom are clay-court notables with a great ground game. So Raonic, hold your serve and show your improvement in your movement and consistency and you'll have yourself a date with Ferrer in the fourth round.

Tsonga shouldn't have any troubles till the Quarters. Cilic unfortunately is a non-factor for the most part.

Simon d. Hewitt in 5, not sure if this is a testament to Grandpa Lleyton or a shame for Simon, simon's better than this. He shouldn't need this much effort to beat Hewitt. But he should still 'comfortably' make the fourth round to face Federer.

Federer - comfortable win and that should continue till he has to play Benneteau and simon in the third and fourth rounds and even then, he should not be dropping any sets before the quarters potentially against Tsonga.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
pawan, come on, admit it. You are loving the fact that Berdcyh lost. You can't possibly hide that from me. I know you too well. :p

Offline ProdigyEng

• Tennis Player
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
Janowicz played great today!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

Good for him. Will be interesting to see how far he goes here. I am more into these players in this tournament than the top, of course, minus Nole. I'd like him to win the tourney.

Offline Connor

• Tennis Player
  • A pure Murray fan.
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »
Feels really different without Murray :/ Monfils vs Berdych was an epic though.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
I'm giddy that Berdych lost! Hopefully Monfils can ride the momentum and eliminate Gulbis as well!

I'm pissed that the schedule has pitted Harrison against Isner in just the second round. The draws always seem to do this kind of crap to me :(

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

Good for him. Will be interesting to see how far he goes here. I am more into these players in this tournament than the top, of course, minus Nole. I'd like him to win the tourney.

He won't go to far I don't think, he makes so many errors and isn't patient.
Sometimes blasts the ball when half the force is needed.

Entertaining though.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
pawan, come on, admit it. You are loving the fact that Berdcyh lost. You can't possibly hide that from me. I know you too well. :p

If you did know me you'll know I have actually always rooted for Berdych, especially against Federer - he seems to bring out his best against Federer and it's just amazing to watch the straightforward execution of power. :P

Here's another one I'll cheer for against Federer (and almost anyone for that matter): Gulbis, you'll see if he actually makes it that far  :king:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

If you did know me you'll know I have actually always rooted for Berdych, especially against Federer - he seems to bring out his best against Federer and it's just amazing to watch the straightforward execution of power. :P

Here's another one I'll cheer for against Federer (and almost anyone for that matter): Gulbis, you'll see if he actually makes it that far  :king:
IMHO, Berdych, had he won against Gael, would've had much better chances against Fed than Tsonga. However I see Tsonga as the only guy who could prevent Fed from reaching the final. I do like Gulbis, but you just never know with him.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
I didn't see the Nadal/Brands match but I'm just read some stuff on the other tennis board. They are saying Rafa was less than convincing, losing first set, being down 0:3 in TB etc. well, he won, but many posters on MTF claim that if he plays like this against Djokovic, Djokovic will eat him alive.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Nadal wasn't playing terrible. It wasn't his best, but mainly he was making mental errors rather than playing errors. Brands broke him because he DFed on break point. That's something you'd never see from him before the injury. That's something I've been saying since he's been back. He seems weaker mentally. As far as Brands, the kid was playing out of his mind. Blasting the FH like crazy, and making hardly any errors. But Rafa refused to go down and seemed much stronger mentally in that TB. Finally, he upped his play in the 3rd, and it was over after that, because Brands's play also dropped.

Berdych is arrogant. That's why I'm glad he got put out so early. Same with Gulbis. Plus, I like watching Monfils, so I'm happy with him winning. It being against Berdych and (hopefully) Gulbis, that's just icing :)

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Feels really different without Murray :/ Monfils vs Berdych was an epic though.

Very epic. Glad I was able to catch it. Andy is sorely missed no doubt.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:59 PM »

He won't go to far I don't think, he makes so many errors and isn't patient.
Sometimes blasts the ball when half the force is needed.

Entertaining though.

JJ is still very new to the tour in terms of success so he's riding high at the moment. Soon he'll realize that it takes a lot more patience and dedication to become a great player. If he realizes that and soon then he'll become a great player. It is still too early a call to say he's going to be big. He has the potential though. And yes, very entertaining. Could be another Monfils in the making.