Federer
4 (19%)
Berlocq
2 (9.5%)
Other
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 09, 2013, 01:59:44 PM

Author Topic: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam Roland Garros (May 21-June 9) Draw in post #2  (Read 23865 times)

Offline Connor

• Tennis Player
  • A pure Murray fan.
Re: 2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam Roland Garros (May 21-June 9) Draw in post #2
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »
pawan, come on, admit it. You are loving the fact that Berdcyh lost. You can't possibly hide that from me. I know you too well. :p

If you did know me you'll know I have actually always rooted for Berdych, especially against Federer - he seems to bring out his best against Federer and it's just amazing to watch the straightforward execution of power. :P

Here's another one I'll cheer for against Federer (and almost anyone for that matter): Gulbis, you'll see if he actually makes it that far  :king:
IMHO, Berdych, had he won against Gael, would've had much better chances against Fed than Tsonga. However I see Tsonga as the only guy who could prevent Fed from reaching the final. I do like Gulbis, but you just never know with him.

Gulbis has a much more level head in my opinion now then he did back in 2010 in Rome when he got the win over Federer. That being said it would be a major match for Gulbis, so nerves could get to him. I do see him beating Federer though nonetheless, the question is will he have the mentality to do it?

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »
pawan, come on, admit it. You are loving the fact that Berdcyh lost. You can't possibly hide that from me. I know you too well. :p

If you did know me you'll know I have actually always rooted for Berdych, especially against Federer
- he seems to bring out his best against Federer and it's just amazing to watch the straightforward execution of power. :P

Here's another one I'll cheer for against Federer (and almost anyone for that matter): Gulbis, you'll see if he actually makes it that far  :king:

That part is unknown to me because you are a big Fedtard out there.  :)~

But not only against Federer though, he seems to bring it against Murray too. As to Nadal, I think he worships him a bit much but I really feel Berdy in is his prime right now and will get the better of Nadal as well. In fact, he was the only player Nadal was nervous about at Indian Wells. Nadal openly admitted it. I think it will be smashing if Berdych and Nadal meet under the right circumstances in a Slam.

I like Gulbis quite a lot. His tennis is more sublime than Dimitrov's though Dimitrov is not too bad, but he does come off a bit of a copycat. I am going to be pulling for him big in this tournament now that Berdy is out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:25:43 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
Nadal wasn't playing terrible. It wasn't his best, but mainly he was making mental errors rather than playing errors. Brands broke him because he DFed on break point. That's something you'd never see from him before the injury. That's something I've been saying since he's been back. He seems weaker mentally. As far as Brands, the kid was playing out of his mind. Blasting the FH like crazy, and making hardly any errors. But Rafa refused to go down and seemed much stronger mentally in that TB. Finally, he upped his play in the 3rd, and it was over after that, because Brands's play also dropped.

Berdych is arrogant. That's why I'm glad he got put out so early. Same with Gulbis. Plus, I like watching Monfils, so I'm happy with him winning. It being against Berdych and (hopefully) Gulbis, that's just icing :)

How do you feel about Federer? Do you think he's arrogant?

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »
Federer's a bit odd. Sometimes he comes off humble and praising to his opponents, other times he seems really arrogant. But, with Federer, it's not arrogance. It's confidence. Because he has every right to be confident. Gulbis is a nobody and Berdych hasn't done anything really of note either besides making one final, where he proceeded to get beat rather comfortably by Rafa. Yet they still both act like they're so amazing and deserve to be number 1.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
Federer's a bit odd. Sometimes he comes off humble and praising to his opponents, other times he seems really arrogant. But, with Federer, it's not arrogance. It's confidence. Because he has every right to be confident. Gulbis is a nobody and Berdych hasn't done anything really of note either besides making one final, where he proceeded to get beat rather comfortably by Rafa. Yet they still both act like they're so amazing and deserve to be number 1.

Sampras was very confident too but you'd be hard pressed to find any arrogant comment from him let alone not praise his opponents. He had an episode with Rafter once but he made amends very quickly.

Besides, I don't think you have to be 'somebody' to have the right to be arrogant. One should never encourage that kind of notion.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
Unfortunately, Mr. Murray is a relative non-factor on clay.  Always has been at ATP tour level, probably always will be. :dunno:

Grass is another story.  Hopefully he is in good shape when Wimbledon starts. I don't want to see him bounced out early :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
No, of course not. Definitely never a reason to be arrogant. But when you're Roger Federer and you only seem that way once in a while, but usually are very praising to your opponents and never blame losses on anything and stuff like that, it comes off differently. It seems more like just a healthy dose of confidence rather than arrogance.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2013 ATP/WTA Grand Slam Roland Garros (May 21-June 9) Draw in post #2
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
Unfortunately, Mr. Murray is a relative non-factor on clay.  Always has been at ATP tour level, probably always will be. :dunno:

Grass is another story.  Hopefully he is in good shape when Wimbledon starts. I don't want to see him bounced out early :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

I agree. even though Murray would have been seeded #2, he's just about a non-issue on clay. He hasn't really done much - so I can't say he's surely missed. Now Wimbledon and the US Open are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass
I can agree with this. However, Murray has all qualities to be a great clay player. IMHO, his biggest problem is his movement on clay. too tired to explain it, but he is not  sliding on clay,  he is sort of trying to run on clay as if it was HC ... I hope someone understands what I'm talking about ... again his inability to move properly on clay is his biggest problem.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
Berdych lost. Thought Monfils pulled a bit of gamesmanship at 5-4, 40-15 after serving a double fault. He couldn't walk or so it seemed; next thing you know, not only he catches Berdych by surprise by breaking him immediately but also, winning the match right away.

I am still happy for Monfils since I like him a great deal and this win will give him a lot of confidence back, but I am also sad to see Berdych go out this early. I guess will have to pull for Gulbis from this qtr. I like him too but a long path in front him. Time to shine though. Prefer him over Dimitrov on any given day.

I like Berdych and thought he'd have gotten through fairly easily considering Monfils is famously unreliable (something Berdych has been doing a good job of fixing the last 2-3 years) and injured/off-the-radar for the most part, and is also famous for not being able to finish off matches he should win.. and it's the FRENCH open, so any French player is by default, NOT the favourite in any match  ..-)

Oh and I believe Berdych was like 5-0 h2h against Monfils prior to his match. But he lost. Oh well. At least now I don't have to worry about who to pick in the second round of Berdych vs. Gulbis, I am all for Gulbis now. Nothing against Monfils but Gulbis has a potential future, something Monfils laid to waste about 5 years ago.

You forget this was a first round match and Berdych is quite vulnerable in these early rounds. Please check his history. He tends to get better as he moves along. And Monfils had been waiting for a match like this. Against Berdych in front of the home crowd? He couldn't have asked for more frankly. He lives for matches like this where he can show off a bit. He served out of his mind today. He raised his level to the highest form to beat Berdych. He's more than likely to fizzle out in the next round. Not only it was a long match today, which must have taken a lot out of him, but also, he won't feel the same need there. His next opponent is also not as big as Berdych.

Monfils' been in and out the last two years with injuries but still, he's very unpredictable and that will always go against him. Gulbis is in form right now and feeling confident as well, so let's see.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
I don't know who saw the Jerzy Janowicz match.

He was blasting that ball as about as hard as a ball can be hit, something like 60+ winners.

I don't think I've ever seen someone put that much on the ball for so long.
And then comes a little drop shot.

Bash and drop for three sets.  :cool:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »

If you did know me you'll know I have actually always rooted for Berdych, especially against Federer - he seems to bring out his best against Federer and it's just amazing to watch the straightforward execution of power. :P

He cracked a couple of those forehands today that made me leap from my chair and shout.  Thanks goodness mi famile is used to such antics. :insane:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

I don't think Murray is a non-factor on clay - not necessarily. He's made the semi here in 2011. And he had a very good encounter against both Nadal and Nole in that season as well. If you watched those two matches, you could never tell he's not as comfortable on clay. In fact, if watched his recent encounter on clay against Berdych just a week and half ago, you'd see he led the 1st set and created far more opportunities for himself than Berdych. Berdych just got slightly lucky in the TB. In any case, none of these clay tournaments are a top priority for him right now.

But Andy has the game to play on clay. He just needs to believe in it too and has to have more faith in his movement on clay. On top of that, he still has quite a few years left to get consistently better on this surface.

Right now, Wimbledon is his priority because he has a much better chance winning that one than this year's RG without shred of a doubt. And these two big tournaments are only a month apart. Given his back problem, it makes sense why he'd let go RG this time around. Otherwise it would have been another golden opportunity for him to improve on this surface.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

I agree. even though Murray would have been seeded #2, he's just about a non-issue on clay. He hasn't really done much - so I can't say he's surely missed. Now Wimbledon and the US Open are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's sorely missed by his fans and some general fans as well who appreciate his tennis regardless surface . Not everyone is your Federer or Nadal fan, you know. And it's not like Federer has won so many RGs.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
No, of course not. Definitely never a reason to be arrogant. But when you're Roger Federer and you only seem that way once in a while, but usually are very praising to your opponents and never blame losses on anything and stuff like that, it comes off differently. It seems more like just a healthy dose of confidence rather than arrogance.

Well Federer did yell at Murray at the AO (you f**king stopped!) semi. Though Murray laughed it off later but he did go on to lose the set in the TB from a winning position in the previous game when he was serving for the match. You can't say he wasn't distracted even slightly so. That was nasty simply put.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point is, I don't care who he is or what he's achieved - I am going to see him under the same radar as I do with all the other players. He's no special to me. And his behaviour should not be excused just because he's some Roger Federer.

I am no worshiper of either Federer or Nadal.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »

Well Federer did yell at Murray at the AO (you f**king stopped!) semi. Though Murray laughed it off later but he did go on to lose the set in the TB from a winning position in the previous game when he was serving for the match. You can't say he wasn't distracted even slightly so. That was nasty simply put.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point is, I don't care who he is or what he's achieved - I am going to see him under the same radar as I do with all the other players. He's no special to me. And his behaviour should not be excused just because he's some Roger Federer.

I am no worshiper of either Federer or Nadal.

Oh, I'm not either. Well, not of Federer :P Fed is one of my least favorite players. I'm just saying that when he says something that might come across as arrogant, his play backs it up, so it's not as much arrogant as confident. For example, in one interview, people asked various players who they thought had the best forehand in the game. Berdych said himself, which is just ludicrous when there are people like Fed, Del Po, and Rafa in the game. Federer said Rafa. But had Federer said himself, it wouldn't necessarily be the same as Berdych, because a lot of people would credit Fed with the best FH in the game. Know what I mean?

Yeah, I did hear about that incident, though I'm not really sure what Fed meant or what the circumstances were around it. But I agree. That kind of thing isn't needed on the court.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:28 PM »
Janowicz played great today!

Good for him. Will be interesting to see how far he goes here. I am more into these players in this tournament than the top, of course, minus Nole. I'd like him to win the tourney.

He won't go to far I don't think, he makes so many errors and isn't patient.
Sometimes blasts the ball when half the force is needed.

Entertaining though.

JJ is still very new to the tour in terms of success so he's riding high at the moment. Soon he'll realize that it takes a lot more patience and dedication to become a great player. If he realizes that and soon then he'll become a great player. It is still too early a call to say he's going to be big. He has the potential though. And yes, very entertaining. Could be another Monfils in the making.
I am just glad to see him hitting his backhand without jumping. :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2013, 11:59:35 PM »
It's cool to see so many actual discussions about tennis here. Big props to Emma, Rafa816, masterclass, swish and everyone else. Or maybe it's just cuz CD and Shank aren't here  :whistle:  :rofl_2:

Re: potential Berdych vs. Federer: I do think Berdych was the biggest threat to Federer but surprisingly they have only played on clay 3 times of their 17 meetings, all won by Federer, the most recent one and only one worth considering being in 2012 on the blue clay in Madrid where Federer won 7-5 in the third. The other two were in 2005,2006. So we don't have much to go on, but I would think the clay would neutralize Berdych's biggest weapons against Federer and give Federer a better chance to exploit Berdych's movement. I think Federer would have come out safe in 4 sets, much like Nadal did against an aggressive power-hitting Brands in the first round. Then again, Federer's only upset loss at RG in the past couple years was to Soderling, who's similar to Berdych in many regards. Regardless, yes, Berdych on paper is the biggest threat to Federer. But Tsonga has given Federer just as much of a fight in the past and has had some good matches on clay in the past.

Also Emma, it is interesting to see that Berdych does seem to get better later on in Slams. He's had 10 first round exits in his career which seems like a high number for a top player (have not compared) but yeah, he does seem vulnerable in the early stages.

Re: Murray on clay. It's surprising that he hasn't done more (won any clay titles) because he has had good runs in the past and has given Nadal tough matches and made it far. Even if you want to call him the "worst" top player on clay, he'd almost certainly have made his seeding, and the only people who could really take him in a best of 5 set clay (half of which he could win on fitness alone) apart from the top 4 are Ferrer, Berdych, Delpot, Tsonga and maybe someone like Stan or a young guy on fire that day. So yeah, calling him a nonfactor is kinda going far.

Re: confidence and arrogance. One thing to lay down here is that nothing any of the players are saying today would come close to being "arrogant" if it was said in the early 80s. The things that were said back makes today's arrogance seem nice. That said, every top player needs a healthy dose of confidence, bordering on overconfidence to truly assert themselves. This applies to Federer who has a million slams, Berdych who sees himself as an ever-dangerous threat and a top 10 contender, Gulbis who thinks he's more capable of winning than his ranking shows, and honestly, to anyone who plays professional sport with the aim to go all the way. Sure some people can manage it better and keep a humble profile in front of the media but you can see the ego/pride in any good player's eyes when he's receiving serve down matchpoints and right after that point.
I wouldn't call any player arrogant, just inexperienced in public relations, or honest to the point of not giving a crap what anyone else says. Federer calling Djokovic's Shot down matchpoint at the USO "lucky" definitely came off as arrogant but there was just as much truth and justification in it as Berdych naming his own forehand as one of the best, or Gulbis saying he's more talented than his ranking shows. It's what they believe in and have at least at times proven to the world. I think they are allowed to be arrogant to a certain extent as long as they can back it up - and they need to be borderline arrogant to stay strong and believe in their capacity, their RIGHT to win, that's the only way someone like Berdych or Gulbis can take down someone like Federer or Nadal. I am sure there's a lot of sport psychology around this but convincing yourself that you are worthy of beating a top player or winning a grand slam or being a certain ranking because you own a fearsome forehand or serve or whatever is MORE than half the battle - the other half being hitting the practice courts, but hitting the practice courts is often times the easier part, that's what they all do, it's their job. Novak was arrogant when he was young, Murray was not the most modest when he showed off his biceps after beating Gasquet in 5 at Wimbledon (promptly losing to Nadal in the next round), but that was all necessary and requisite in the making of the champion. Now they can afford to be humble and say "Yeah I'm looking forward to a good match against the qualifier in the next round", but in reality, they better be thinking "I'm a champion and a top 5 player BECAUSE of the blood sweat and tears I have put in and I am going to OWN this guy in the next round because I deserve to and it's the only reasonable outcome".

Long post but yeah. Confidence and borderline arrogance can help young players and it shows the fire is alive in players who have already "made it". Might not be sexy at times. Or is it.

I think Roddick (I miss this guy), had a healthy dose of confidence and entitlement without necessarily coming across as arrogant to the media. He's taken his shots at top players (Nadal, Djokovic) and when he played you could see the determination and entitlement show through, and that was what added to his somewhat intimidating aggressive aura even if his game wasn't always like that. Of course the serve helped.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2013, 12:24:31 AM »
Good post Pawan.

The young players almost have to think they are as good as anyone.

It gives them a burst of energy during practice when no one is around.
They have to feel good about themselves.
They need pictures in their mind about how good they are, the body will follow to some degree.

These kind of thoughts also increase release of hormones, GH, testosterone and other helpful processes.
It has been shown that when people have feelings of despair, levels of helpful hormones decreases.